What You've Just Bought!

I'm thinking the same
I'm on ddr3 now so may stop a whole new build
Apparently Intel's comment up with a gpu in 2020

Btw, as you asked, the monitor is really great overall.

Full array local dimming works very well in bright scenes, but still struggles in dark scenes - oled per pixel luminance control is definitely way better. Fact is if you have an LCD with FALD, a space scene with lots of stars is basically going to mean your FALD backlighting is going to be illuminated to make the stars bright, which makes the black levels quite weak. FALD works great when you have a pure pitch black background and a single light source on screen (e.g. looking out of a dark tunnel into the sun kind of thing). Or like I said, it works very well in daylight scene. It just can't handle dark scenes with lots of small bright light sources. Other than that, the HDR 10bit colors of the monitor are amazing, zero banding or anything. The IPS panel is just amazing quality overall, by far the best I have ever seen. But I don't think FALD would work as well as i'd like until it got up to about 2000 zones (rather than 384, which is already class leading).

Btw, as you asked, the monitor is really great overall.

Full array local dimming works very well in bright scenes, but still struggles in dark scenes - oled per pixel luminance control is definitely way better. Fact is if you have an LCD with FALD, a space scene with lots of stars is basically going to mean your FALD backlighting is going to be illuminated to make the stars bright, which makes the black levels quite weak. FALD works great when you have a pure pitch black background and a single light source on screen (e.g. looking out of a dark tunnel into the sun kind of thing). Or like I said, it works very well in daylight scene. It just can't handle dark scenes with lots of small bright light sources. Other than that, the HDR 10bit colors of the monitor are amazing, zero banding or anything. The IPS panel is just amazing quality overall, by far the best I have ever seen. But I don't think FALD would work as well as i'd like until it got up to about 2000 zones (rather than 384, which is already class leading).
Have you tried games like GoW 4 or Forza to see if it supports hdr like on the one x?
Are you planning on keeping it

Have you tried games like GoW 4 or Forza to see if it supports hdr like on the one x?
Are you planning on keeping it

Tried a few games. AC Origins works great in HDR, looks amazing in the bright sun. RE7 kind of does look good, but its very dark and like I said the FALD + LCD struggles in this area. But brighter parts of the game look great.

I won't keep it, HDR support on Windows 10 is still badly implemented (you gotta turn it off and on manually all the time), not enough games support it, and the FALD is a bit dissapointing. I love deep blacks but it only achieves that half of the time, the rest of the time it makes blacks worse than having no FALD at all. So I think if in 2019 a better monitor comes out with improved FALD, I will probably buy it. More games and better Win10 support for HDR by then i'd guess.

Ultimately I want an OLED monitor. I know they're coming, but it will probably be a few years. But when they arrive, I will basically pay any price up to £3000 no question. Well, obviously not if they're ****. But on the assumption they're good :p

Last edited:
Tried a few games. AC Origins works great in HDR, looks amazing in the bright sun. RE7 kind of does look good, but its very dark and like I said the FALD + LCD struggles in this area. But brighter parts of the game look great.

I won't keep it, HDR support on Windows 10 is still badly implemented (you gotta turn it off and on manually all the time), not enough games support it, and the FALD is a bit dissapointing. I love deep blacks but it only achieves that half of the time, the rest of the time it makes blacks worse than having no FALD at all. So I think if in 2019 a better monitor comes out with improved FALD, I will probably buy it. More games and better Win10 support for HDR by then i'd guess.

Ultimately I want an OLED monitor. I know they're coming, but it will probably be a few years. But when they arrive, I will basically pay any price up to £3000 no question. Well, obviously not if they're ****. But on the assumption they're good :p
Thanks man
This helps
I guess I'll stick to my 27" and wait

Thanks man
This helps
I guess I'll stick to my 27" and wait

No problem!

My dad actually returned his LG C7 65" OLED earlier this week. He couldn't reduce judder enough... it drove him mad apparently. He loved everything else about the TV, but the judder during panning such as in soccer or F1 was too distracting for him.

No problem!

My dad actually returned his LG C7 65" OLED earlier this week. He couldn't reduce judder enough... it drove him mad apparently. He loved everything else about the TV, but the judder during panning such as in soccer or F1 was too distracting for him.
Ah that sucks
Watching the world cup wasn't bad.
I sometimes feel like watching movies at home is better than theaters, get spoiled with OLED

Bought 2x Ubiquiti AC Pro APs, so god damn tired of ****ty wifi performance. This should fix that :p

At home or at work ?

I find the solution to ****ty WiFi performance is not to use WiFi :p

To be fair for all the wireless kit we have at home, it all works reliably. Sky, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, HomePod, iPad and my iPhone are all set up over 2.4 or 5Ghz wireless and we have zero issues. Small house though, and only two people in it.

Aaaaaaaaaand I somewhat inevitably gave into temptation

EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition Gaming (not the best card EVGA have, but £100 discount over the others)
Vive Pro
Ryzen 7 2700X

I will be using the EVGA Step Up program to migrate to the RTX 2080 too.

Bought 2x Ubiquiti AC Pro APs, so god damn tired of ****ty wifi performance. This should fix that :p

I've got an UniFi® AP AC LR at home. Really good performance but sometimes it just falls over. Never managed to successfully troubleshoot it.

Also have an AeroHive AP250; I have to manage it via CLI since I don't have a support account, but that's god-level compared to pretty much any Ubiquiti WiFi product.

Back
Top Bottom