What You've Just Bought!

Not really a buy but worth posting.

A buddy of mine that I work with builds computers for some rather well-off individuals, and when he does they usually give him their "old" computers to pay for his time and expertise. I put "old" in quotes as one guy has a new built each year, and sometimes twice a year (he does audio/video production and has to have the latest and greatest). My buddy usually parts these out and makes a tidy sum off of them.

Anyway, we were talking the other day and I mentioned that my next upgrade would be some additional RAM as I was running 2x4GB. He told me he would check his RAM box and see what he had which turned out to be 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB. He has swapped me the 32GB for my 8GB kit.

W00t!

The upgrade/new phone bug had bitten me so I sold my Axon 7 (was bought by a member/former member here). I just ordered my new one.

Honor 7X, gray (I wanted the Mate SE but could justify paying over $40 more for the extra 1GB of RAM, storage is not an issue)
Tempered glass screen protectors
Spigen case
Extra long charging cables
You do switch phones often. I have some advice for your next phone.
I've used many budget phones and flagships. Currently on a Note 8.
One big reason I stay away from the budget ones especially the Chinese models is due to the software, their UI is clunky and they're not reliable with software updates. I highly suggest for your next upgrade you swallow a big pill and get one of the following
S9+, OP6, Note 8 or Note 9
Reason I picked all those phones is cos all of those have 6GB of RAM and up.
I used the S8 and it got sluggish after couple of months
Got the Note and it's been almost a year and it's still performs great. The Pixel XL 2 which is supposed to be amazing is starting to slow down on ppl and the OP6 is now beating it performance wise.
Now I know it's hard spending $700+ on a phone but many of these phones go on sale
I've seen the Note 8, S9+ go on sale for around $500 recently
They have the best screen, one of the best cameras, high end specs, water resistance, fast wireless charging, etc. OP6 doesn't have all the fancy features but the specs are high end and it's a beast and well proceed plus good software.
Just a suggestion from someone who used to sell phones for a living and I still watch reviews of many phones.

Just a suggestion from someone who used to sell phones for a living and I still watch reviews of many phones.

I hear ya and know where you are coming from. I would love to drop 500+ on a phone actually worth the price, believe me. I only buy after I have done loads of research and have most of not all of my concerns answered.

This time around I was split between the Xiaomi Mi A2, the Asus Zenfone 5Q (5 Lite outside of the US), and the Honor 7X/Mate SE. I dropped the Mi A2 due to it not having enough cellular bands. I dropped the Mate SE as I didn't want to pay extra for something that wouldn't affect me. And when it finally came down to it I went with the 7X because it has been out a while and the bugs have all been fixed.

I hear ya and know where you are coming from. I would love to drop 500+ on a phone actually worth the price, believe me. I only buy after I have done loads of research and have most of not all of my concerns answered.

This time around I was split between the Xiaomi Mi A2, the Asus Zenfone 5Q (5 Lite outside of the US), and the Honor 7X/Mate SE. I dropped the Mi A2 due to it not having enough cellular bands. I dropped the Mate SE as I didn't want to pay extra for something that wouldn't affect me. And when it finally came down to it I went with the 7X because it has been out a while and the bugs have all been fixed.
I did buy the 7X for a relative recently on a budget.
Maybe for your next upgrade, try a phone with 6GB of RAM, it really makes a big difference especially if it's Vanilla, which has no bloatware. I've been upgrading every year but feel like the Note 8 is still performing like day 1 so i think i'll be good for another year. The tech in me loves upgrading to try new things out.
I really wanna get a pixel but if it has a notch, less than 6gb of RAM and costs a grand I'll wait.

Lmk how it works with windows
Been wanting to upgrade my 27" for a while now
Trying to find something close to my C7P TV

It comes out of the factory with DeltaE of < 0.5.. jesus wept. 384 zone FALD. Its not going to be OLED good but I have seen technical reviews where it has recorded contrast ratios of > 200,000:1 with dynamic dimming and HDR turned on. Seriously cant wait to see it in person.

One big reason I stay away from the budget ones especially the Chinese models is due to the software, their UI is clunky and they're not reliable with software updates. I highly suggest for your next upgrade you swallow a big pill and get one of the following
S9+, OP6, Note 8 or Note 9

Putting "reliable software updates" and any Samsung phone in the same sentence...lol. Security patches don't come out for months after other phones get them (especially direct from Google phones like the Nexus or Pixel).

Got the Note and it's been almost a year and it's still performs great. The Pixel XL 2 which is supposed to be amazing is starting to slow down on ppl and the OP6 is now beating it performance wise.

I ditched my Note5 bc the battery was terrible after 2 years, and switched to a Pixel XL. Just got the Android 9 update, and it hasn't slowed down or anything for me. And this is the OG Pixel XL, not the 2.

Back
Top Bottom