What You've Just Bought!

Iphone really isn't known for "gaming" really, and tbh the 120hz screen probably wouldn't do much justice on an iPhone anyways since the UI is butter smooth already. It makes more sense for them to focus on the color and HDR aspects. I'm only getting the Razer phone for actual gaming and in hopes of that "laptop" dock actually coming to market.

I am hating the **** out of apple atm. All the senior management team here have apple devices (tablets/phones/laptops), and the latest hardware/software refresh has been seriously lacking. We've had to send back 3 of the MBPs so far for keyboard issues (letters getting stuck, just stop working, or need to be hammered to work at all), the battery life on the 8/X is ****e, the recent spew of security issues has meant some of the managers felt like they needed to "step in" and manage IT closely (aka give out lectures on how important it is to ensure literally all the managers and their kids and their kids friends have the updates and we need to chase them every day about it etc).

Also on the SW side of things, iMessage syncing has been utter crap. I must've spent over 6 hours with senior apple support now doing variants on "quit imessage, delete everything on all the devices, turn it all back on again and setup again and see if it works now". SMS's don't sync/forward between devices, contact info doesn't populate properly, ARGH. The laptops cost ~4-6k, the phones cost ~1-2k, and this is what gloriousness it buys you. ****'s sake.

And don't even get me started on the mother****ing mound of adapters I have to deal with now -_-

Last edited:
I am hating the **** out of apple atm. All the senior management team here have apple devices (tablets/phones/laptops), and the latest hardware/software refresh has been seriously lacking. We've had to send back 3 of the MBPs so far for keyboard issues (letters getting stuck, just stop working, or need to be hammered to work at all), the battery life on the 8/X is ****e, the recent spew of security issues has meant some of the managers felt like they needed to "step in" and manage IT closely (aka give out lectures on how important it is to ensure literally all the managers and their kids and their kids friends have the updates and we need to chase them every day about it etc).

Also on the SW side of things, iMessage syncing has been utter crap. I must've spent over 6 hours with senior apple support now doing variants on "quit imessage, delete everything on all the devices, turn it all back on again and setup again and see if it works now". SMS's don't sync/forward between devices, contact info doesn't populate properly, ARGH. The laptops cost ~4-6k, the phones cost ~1-2k, and this is what gloriousness it buys you. ****'s sake.

And don't even get me started on the mother****ing mound of adapters I have to deal with now -_-
A few months ago when I switched back to my iP7 I used my 6s backup and the text messages took probably the better part of half a day to a day to sync back up. I sold my iMac because with High Sierra iMessage and Facetime literally would not log on. It took several tries to even get iTunes to log on. Their setup is definitely becoming a pain in the *** and not working as of late.

At my work we primarily have Dell laptops, mainly Samsung smartphones and tablets, and a small bunch of iPads and iPhones. No MacBooks. But they all go wrong to be honest. We have at least one touch screen failure on the Samsung tablets every couple of weeks, trackpad and hinge failures on the dell laptops, and quite a few issues with EAS calendar sync issues when using the native iOS email client.

My X is brand new so it's hard to comment on battery life. I've been using it quite heavily, but i'd say it is noticeably worse than the HTC U11 I had. The U11 had crazy good battery life for me, better than my Note 5. The X feels similar to the Note 5 at the moment. I've been up since 7am, used Apple Music over bluetooth during my hour commute to work, i've spent 15 minutes on a phone call, about 15 minutes of general use and 15 minutes showing off a few things to colleagues. So far i'm at 85% battery as of 12:30pm. At this rate then it will easily last me through the day, which is all I need. I figure if you are out and about a lot battery life is probably way more important.

Last edited:
I'd expect issues with cheaper devices, but these laptops were CTO 4-6k top of the line beasts, and 3 out of 5 have had to be repaired less than 5 months after purchase for the same issue.

The kicker is, Apple have told us the new keyboard design is so difficult to repair, they don't even bother and just replace the entire top case if any issues arise with the keys. Which means it's not a quick fix, and we have to wait ~3-7 days for them to be fixed.

We've got lots of older gen MBPs which are running fine, it's literally just the latest Apple HW refresh we're having major issues with, which is what all the execs insist on having, and they're the ones that treat you like crap if their machine is breaking. You are IT, therefore this computer problem is your fault. Le sigh -_-

I'd expect issues with cheaper devices, but these laptops were CTO 4-6k top of the line beasts, and 3 out of 5 have had to be repaired less than 5 months after purchase for the same issue.

The kicker is, Apple have told us the new keyboard design is so difficult to repair, they don't even bother and just replace the entire top case if any issues arise with the keys. Which means it's not a quick fix, and we have to wait ~3-7 days for them to be fixed.

We've got lots of older gen MBPs which are running fine, it's literally just the latest Apple HW refresh we're having major issues with, which is what all the execs insist on having, and they're the ones that treat you like crap if their machine is breaking. You are IT, therefore this computer problem is your fault. Le sigh -_-
Over engineered design with too many flaws. Only thing I'm taking from this.

Yup pretty much, they use butterfly style clips but the real issue is how thin they tried to make the design. This iteration was meant to make the keys feel less flat/unresponsive but IMO they've failed there too, still feels flat to the *extreme* like 1mm of give to indicate a successful key press

Ah well :/ I get paid regardless I guess, just ****s me that we have to take the flak for failing devices that I never wanted to buy in the first place.

Speaking of purchases, today I bought a whole bunch of tools from Bunnings (our version of Home Depot I think?). 125mm angle grinder, chisels, sharpening wheel, etc. Prepping for building the deck/patio out the back of my house!

Also bought a drill stand off Banggood for $80, been wanting one for ages to let me drill 100% straight holes when required. Here's hoping my drill fits ok :p

Yup pretty much, they use butterfly style clips but the real issue is how thin they tried to make the design. This iteration was meant to make the keys feel less flat/unresponsive but IMO they've failed there too, still feels flat to the *extreme* like 1mm of give to indicate a successful key press

Ah well :/ I get paid regardless I guess, just ****s me that we have to take the flak for failing devices that I never wanted to buy in the first place.

Speaking of purchases, today I bought a whole bunch of tools from Bunnings (our version of Home Depot I think?). 125mm angle grinder, chisels, sharpening wheel, etc. Prepping for building the deck/patio out the back of my house!

Also bought a drill stand off Banggood for $80, been wanting one for ages to let me drill 100% straight holes when required. Here's hoping my drill fits ok :p
WHen I was a tech 4 years ago for Lockheed they were getting HP 8470m's that had a bios issue to where an external keyboard wouldn't work half the time on bootup so you couldn't use it to log in. Since most people didn't use the screen on their laptop with a dock they normally had it hidden away. Opening the laptop was apparently such a "huge" inconvenience. Then when I'd come to flash the bios and fix it I'd catch flack like it was my fault. I was quick to say uh uh uhh I don't call the purchasing shots fam. I'm just paid to fix the issue. I still do that to this day. Idc if it's a director, VP, or just a simple employee. Not taking flack for something I had nothing to do with.

Fair enough. Not experienced the new macbooks TBF.

As a sidenote, your management team seems pretty ****ty, just blowing all this money on crazy expensive laptops. Reminds me of how the management used to be where I work. They always wanted the latest iPhone, they always had a new company car every year, something like a BMW 7 Series or Merc S Class, costing £1500+ a month to lease. They pissed so much money away. Then the company went bankrupt and they learnt their lesson. Now they come to us when their equipment is legitimately broken, and only ever ask for old used equipment so long as it works properly. They've gone from £700 phones and £3k laptops and expensive cars, to a three year old low end Samsung phone, 4 year old tatty Dell laptops, and Ford Focus business cars :p

Still they're dumb that it took the company going bankrupt for them to realise how stupid they were with the companies money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom