What You've Just Bought!

Not bad
I'll never buy a mattress from physical store again
Overpriced
No returns
I feel like you need to be able to test out a mattress for at least 2 weeks
For $189 you can't go wrong though
I haven't bought a mattress from a store ever. Mainly because anything other than crappy regular stuff is way overpriced and I haven't been able to use a traditional mattress for years.

Still looking forward to RTX 2080 announcement even though I heard mixed reports on how good it will be. Ray trace cores are cool.. but it feels like it will be 5+ years of new Nvidia GPUs until the ray trace cores are likely powerful enough to offer any kind of compelling ray traced features in games. But I wonder if they will work better for amazing spatial audio up 'til that point ?

WIll I buy one ? yeah probably :D Along with the i7 9700k when that arrives.
The spacial audio crap will be forgotten and unused like Trueaudio.

Tried a few games. AC Origins works great in HDR, looks amazing in the bright sun. RE7 kind of does look good, but its very dark and like I said the FALD + LCD struggles in this area. But brighter parts of the game look great.

I won't keep it, HDR support on Windows 10 is still badly implemented (you gotta turn it off and on manually all the time), not enough games support it, and the FALD is a bit dissapointing. I love deep blacks but it only achieves that half of the time, the rest of the time it makes blacks worse than having no FALD at all. So I think if in 2019 a better monitor comes out with improved FALD, I will probably buy it. More games and better Win10 support for HDR by then i'd guess.

Ultimately I want an OLED monitor. I know they're coming, but it will probably be a few years. But when they arrive, I will basically pay any price up to £3000 no question. Well, obviously not if they're ****. But on the assumption they're good :p
You don't need to have HDR in Windows on, games and movies turn it on automatically on launch.

I've got an UniFi® AP AC LR at home. Really good performance but sometimes it just falls over. Never managed to successfully troubleshoot it.

Also have an AeroHive AP250; I have to manage it via CLI since I don't have a support account, but that's god-level compared to pretty much any Ubiquiti WiFi product.
I meant to multi-quote Souls and too lazy to go back for both your comments.

Long story short, I'm having the same issue and so is my best friend. Out of nowhere it seems like we will get really ****ty wifi performance for no reason and then it goes away after a while. I have 2 APs, one on each end of the house and everything has full 5Ghz signal without boosting or beamforming. My doorbell camera sometimes says stream quality low, and last night while looking at my only wifi Ubiquiti camera it had full signal but 6Mb transmission rate. :omg: While trying to sleep last night I loaded up Instagram and it took a solid 45 seconds to load the very first picture on top. I was like what in the hell man. My best friend, his wifi just randomly drops out sometimes but said that stopped when he redid the setup and moved to the Pro 4.

I wouldn't say the Hive is godly. It is compared to our old AC Pros but compared to their newer XG nah lol. That thing takes a 10Gb input :lol::lol: Their HD isn't too bad either. Honestly for the price, even with small hiccups (their software IMO is still pretty beta even today) it's the best equipment money can buy at that price bracket. It would take a really good package to make me switch from their Unifi stuff and nothing consumer level touches it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the Hive is godly. It is compared to our old AC Pros but compared to their newer XG nah lol. That thing takes a 10Gb input :lol::lol: Their HD isn't too bad either. Honestly for the price, even with small hiccups (their software IMO is still pretty beta even today) it's the best equipment money can buy at that price bracket. It would take a really good package to make me switch from their Unifi stuff and nothing consumer level touches it.

It's godly, but only because it costs seven times as much. It's far outside the price bracket of the UniFi APs :p Even then, it's not seven times better, it's just rock solid and massively more configurable.

I'm slowly going to build a collection of APs from every major vendor so I have wide and not just deep expertise.

That XG AP is absurdly specced-out though. They've basically thrown two kitchen sinks into it (and it needs 802.3bt to power it!)

Last edited:
It's godly, but only because it costs seven times as much. It's far outside the price bracket of the UniFi APs :p Even then, it's not seven times better, it's just rock solid and massively more configurable.

I'm slowly going to build a collection of APs from every major vendor so I have wide and not just deep expertise.

That XG AP is absurdly specced-out though. They've basically thrown two kitchen sinks into it (and it needs 802.3bt to power it!)
Yea and it's also 800 bucks :omg::omg: Did you look at the HD? It's the step above the AC Pro. These also have built in security chips as well.

They keep adding config options to Unifi as time goes on. I think they just released this line way too early for the masses. Their wireless uplink works pretty good too. I'm thinking I might move to that then have a second 1Gb port to my PC room. I also like some of their other stuff like the in wall AP that's POE powered but also has that ethernet pass through. Makes getting wifi to a complicated area like my master bedroom a peach.

Edit: Also their XG gateway is ****ing godly. For the cost it blows away any gateway Lockheed has period.

I haven't bought a mattress from a store ever. Mainly because anything other than crappy regular stuff is way overpriced and I haven't been able to use a traditional mattress for years.

The spacial audio crap will be forgotten and unused like Trueaudio.

You don't need to have HDR in Windows on, games and movies turn it on automatically on launch.

Personally I really enjoy the limited spatial audio we have right now, Oculus + Microsoft + Valve + Magic Leap are all pretty big into spatial audio, so I don't think it will go anywhere. I much prefer VR games that utilize it well. We can't really do it properly at the moment, true spatial audio basically requires ray tracing which is extremely performance intensive as you are well aware. You might be right though, I am not sure how many people care about it compared to graphics. I care quite a lot, but I am into audio more than your average person.

As for HDR. Yes In theory, some of the time it will flick to HDR automatically, and it's great when it does. AC Origins, FC5 and RE7 all kick the monitor into HDR mode, which is nice. Forza 7 doesn't though, you gotta toggle it manually. Playing HDR clips through VLC doesn't put the monitoring into HDR mode automatically, playing films and clips through MPC with MadVR does however. YouTube HDR / Netflix / Vimeo requires you to manually toggle HDR mode. Infact, I can't even get Netflix HDR to work full stop. The videos play in SDR and crash the player about 5 seconds later.

It's a very mixed bag, not ready for prime time at all. Though apparently it's all a more reliable and smoother experience on AMD cards.

We've had proper 3D positional audio for 20 years now. What set us back was Microsoft's reversal of hardware audio support which will forever keep audio back because software solutions have never been up to par. This is why Trueaudio never took off and why Nvidia's spatial offering will never take off, not to mention the cult against Gameworks that bags all their tech whether it's good or not. (Hairworks is dumb, but Turfworks is aaaaamazing)

In theory? Everything I do it works perfect for me. Forza 7 I play on the Xbox and only use MadVR-MPC/Plex for media. I don't really care about HDR for Youtube and don't have Netflix. Then again they only started getting HDR decent since 1803 and they still have work to do. All my HDR games come up flawless though, and I actually had to turn it off on Battlefront 2 because some scenes were blinding and this isn't even 1000nit peak.

We've had proper 3D positional audio for 20 years now. What set us back was Microsoft's reversal of hardware audio support which will forever keep audio back because software solutions have never been up to par. This is why Trueaudio never took off and why Nvidia's spatial offering will never take off, not to mention the cult against Gameworks that bags all their tech whether it's good or not. (Hairworks is dumb, but Turfworks is aaaaamazing)

In theory? Everything I do it works perfect for me. Forza 7 I play on the Xbox and only use MadVR-MPC/Plex for media. I don't really care about HDR for Youtube and don't have Netflix. Then again they only started getting HDR decent since 1803 and they still have work to do. All my HDR games come up flawless though, and I actually had to turn it off on Battlefront 2 because some scenes were blinding and this isn't even 1000nit peak.

Your last sentence reminds me, there seems to be a fair amount of badly done HDR on both the video and game side. Far Cry 5 for example, half the sky is just pure white, it is way overblown. They just go for the wow effect of pushing as many nits as possible in the highlights. Ive seen it in a few videos too. They have 10bits to play with, there should be MORE detail in the light and dark areas, not less ffs... in fact, Dolby Vision is even more than 10bit, but the panels dont exist yet really so kinda pointless atm. I saw somewhere that by 2020 there will be TVs on the market that can fully replicate BT 2100 and the Dolby Vision spec.

Last edited:
Your last sentence reminds me, there seems to be a fair amount of badly done HDR on both the video and game side. Far Cry 5 for example, half the sky is just pure white, it is way overblown. They just go for the wow effect of pushing as many nits as possible in the highlights. Ive seen it in a few videos too. They have 10bits to play with, there should be MORE detail in the light and dark areas, not less ffs... in fact, Dolby Vision is even more than 10bit, but the panels dont exist yet really so kinda pointless atm. I saw somewhere that by 2020 there will be TVs on the market that can fully replicate BT 2100 and the Dolby Vision spec.
Tbf certain parts of the sky are supposed to be "blinding" because if you look too close to the sun it's so bright and you lose detail. For instance in Battlefront 2 looking up physically hurts me and so does making my screen show the sun in space. On the flip side, it makes it annoying to play the game. So I guess it's give or take.

Tbf certain parts of the sky are supposed to be "blinding" because if you look too close to the sun it's so bright and you lose detail. For instance in Battlefront 2 looking up physically hurts me and so does making my screen show the sun in space. On the flip side, it makes it annoying to play the game. So I guess it's give or take.

True. I think it's going to be a little while until developers and film makers fully wrap their heads around good HDR. I have seen a few sample videos made by Sony and LG, which look quite exceptional. The best HDR game I have tried so far is Destiny 2. I played that last night, it looks pretty amazing. Battlefield 1 is not bad either.

Are you seeing these leaked specs of 2080Ti - such as the PNY screenies? :omg: If those specs are real, I am ordering day one. Then I will 'step up' my 1080Ti in the background and sell the 2080/2080Ti EVGA send to me when that arrives a month or two later (I figure it's a slow process). Lol - I ordered the 1080Ti because I figured the 2080 would launch and it wouldn't be a whole lot faster, so I didn't care. Then the next day the 2080Ti leaks appeared. Mfw. Haha, i'm such an idiot.

True. I think it's going to be a little while until developers and film makers fully wrap their heads around good HDR. I have seen a few sample videos made by Sony and LG, which look quite exceptional. The best HDR game I have tried so far is Destiny 2. I played that last night, it looks pretty amazing. Battlefield 1 is not bad either.

Are you seeing these leaked specs of 2080Ti - such as the PNY screenies? :omg: If those specs are real, I am ordering day one. Then I will 'step up' my 1080Ti in the background and sell the 2080/2080Ti EVGA send to me when that arrives a month or two later (I figure it's a slow process). Lol - I ordered the 1080Ti because I figured the 2080 would launch and it wouldn't be a whole lot faster, so I didn't care. Then the next day the 2080Ti leaks appeared. Mfw. Haha, i'm such an idiot.
I wasn't too impressed with Destiny 2 HDR, BF1 night maps though holy balls.

I don't really follow leaks or hype train much anymore. I am trying to sell my PC though, just know I won't have too much luck but worth a shot. Dropping back to mainstream if Cascade isn't soldered since the 9900k is 8 core.

I wasn't too impressed with Destiny 2 HDR, BF1 night maps though holy balls.

I don't really follow leaks or hype train much anymore. I am trying to sell my PC though, just know I won't have too much luck but worth a shot. Dropping back to mainstream if Cascade isn't soldered since the 9900k is 8 core.

Are you on an OLED ? I find bright HDR games better than dark HDR because the FALD on this monitor is super aggresive. Basically if there is even 1 bright pixel each one of the backlight zones, it will turn the backlight on high. Whereas the Samsung QLED TVs do the opposite, theyre quite aggresive in keeping the FALD turned off or down to preserve good black levels. Obviously OLED dont have either issue as its per pixel.

Back
Top Bottom