What You've Just Bought!

So my laptop is still on its way! I think it's technically getting further away.

I am pretty impressed with the granularity of shipping updates, though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180503-094734_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180503-094734_Chrome.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 7
I could resist no longer, so I bought an old used bike. A 2007 Honda Hornet CB600F (aka Honda 599 in the USA). It's in 9/10 condition, basically perfect other than a small dent on the tank but meh. No rust for a 11 year old bike is insane, and shows Honda's immense quality. The engine starts right up in a split second and is as smooth as butter. It has 2x the bhp of my old bike, and almost 2x the rev range. 102hp @ 13,000 RPM - **** yeah. It feels so damn good to ride, the power past 7k is immense. I can't freaking imagine these 1000CC 200hp bikes.

However there is a small problem in that I can't actually ride it. I don't have a full motorcycle license because the UK is gay and you can only get a restricted license below 24 years of age, which I was when I did my original test. Anyway i'm 24 now so i'll re-do my test in the next 4 weeks or so (annoying waiting list) and then I can ride the beast.

HB7mqfD.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwTQK71EW0

However there is a small problem in that I can't actually ride it. I don't have a full motorcycle license because the UK is gay and you can only get a restricted license below 24 years of age, which I was when I did my original test. Anyway i'm 24 now so i'll re-do my test in the next 4 weeks or so (annoying waiting list) and then I can ride the beast.

Nice bike! How much did it run you? I've been looking at Hondas too - gonna start saving as soon as I start my new job. Need to book my CBT - I'm advantaged as my girlfriend has been driving her bike for 8+ years (she's 29) and so is experienced and can make sure I know everything.

One thing, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you're not 100% accurate on your understanding of the license requirements - you can get an un-restricted A license when you're as young as 21 provided you've had an A2 license for at least two years (and you can only get that when you're 19, hence 21). The 24-or-over limit is just for people who are doing the Direct Access route (i.e. going to un-restricted A license without having had either A1 or A2).

That said, it doesn't change our situations at all :p

Last edited:
Nice bike! How much did it run you? I've been looking at Hondas too - gonna start saving as soon as I start my new job. Need to book my CBT - I'm advantaged as my girlfriend has been driving her bike for 8+ years (she's 29) and so is experienced and can make sure I know everything.

One thing, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you're not 100% accurate on your understanding of the license requirements - you can get an un-restricted A license when you're as young as 21 provided you've had an A1 license for at least two years (and you can only get that when you're 19, hence 21). The 24-or-over limit is just for people who are doing the Direct Access route (i.e. going to un-restricted A license without having had either A1 or A2).

That said, it doesn't change our situations at all :p

Yeah that's right. I should have been clearer. You can't just wake up one morning and decide you want to ride a Motorcycle and get an unrestricted license unless you're over 24 years old. But yes, if you've been riding since you were way younger you can go the progressive-access route to get it at a younger age.

It's so unbelievably ****, I hate the system so damn much. I am all for having strict motorcycle tests that prove you can ride well on the road, that's fine. But most of the Mod1 is STUPID, full stop (the emergency stop and swerve manoeuvre makes sense). When am I *ever* going to do a Figure of 8 maneuver out on the road ? on the rare occassion, you might have to do a U turn in a road, and if you do it in real life the vast majority of riders will put their foot down because it's easier, you're less likely to drop your bike etc. But if you do that on a Mod1 test, it's an instant fail. Put your tip toe down for literally a split second? instant fail and 4 week wait for another test appointment. In my opinion the test should just be the Mod2 which is an hour out on the road where you have to follow instruction and prove you can ride safely and confidently in the real world.

The really frustrating thing for me is I am someone who takes driving and riding pretty seriously. I don't dick around, and when I am on the road I am a safer, better rider than the vast majority of other motorcyclists. I might not be as technically skilled (i.e. i'd lose on a race track) as a more experienced rider. But I never forget my observations, I don't pull out into small gaps, I don't filter at crazy speeds, I don't do wheelies and all this other ****. And yet I have to go back to the test center to do the same god damn stupid *** test that i've already proved I can do with zero faults or minors for the second time in 12 months. :mad: :mad:

edit:

Btw you can't really fail the CBT. It's not under any sort of test condition. Technically they can refuse to give you your CBT certificate and ask you to come back for another day for more training, but it's pretty rare. You'd have to get to the end of the day and be riding dangerously. Stalling and that kind of thing they don't even judge you on.

Last edited:
Sold my old mobo, CPU, and RAM to my nephew, plus got a little b-day cash. The money was burning a hole in my pocket (plus I needed it spend it before my wife decided to use it for bill money) so I bought:

Samsung 970 EVO 250GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E250BW)
SteelSeries Siberia v2 Full-Size Gaming Headset - (Black)

and two Cricket BYOD 2.0 Wireless 3-in-1 SIM Card Kits as SIM cards are $10 through the Cricket stores. I had to replace mine a few months ago. I figure buy a couple now and I will have them when another one messes up in the family.

Sold my old mobo, CPU, and RAM to my nephew, plus got a little b-day cash. The money was burning a hole in my pocket (plus I needed it spend it before my wife decided to use it for bill money) so I bought:

Samsung 970 EVO 250GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E250BW)
SteelSeries Siberia v2 Full-Size Gaming Headset - (Black)

and two Cricket BYOD 2.0 Wireless 3-in-1 SIM Card Kits as SIM cards are $10 through the Cricket stores. I had to replace mine a few months ago. I figure buy a couple now and I will have them when another one messes up in the family.
Another 250? I would have grabbed a 500 EVO for the same price my man. Although I'm glad to see the 970s are slightly cheaper than the WD Blacks for a change.

I bought one slim 120mm Noctua fan, 2 Silverstone magnetic mesh filters, another tall Vivo monitor arm, and a cheap "Cherry Brown" mechanical keyboard from one of those off brands on Amazon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom