What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Does anyone know much about the Tano Dragon 64? I just bought one that is brand new(as new as almost 30 yrs old can get) because I want to see what 80's computing was like. I also want to try the old school BASIC programming and this seems like a good deal for $49 considering I have seen Commodore 64's and Tandy COCOs for a few hundred used. I even saw an Apple ][ for a few thousand.

I am not familiar with that system, but old school BASIC is a lot of fun to learn and play with. That is what I learned originally and it just made sense. Personally, I like using line numbers so the whole object oriented thing with Java threw me for a major loop (still doesn't make the best of sense to me even now).

BASIC is a lot of fun to learn and play with. That is what I learned originally and it just made sense. Personally, I like using line numbers so the whole object oriented thing with Java threw me for a major loop (still doesn't make the best of sense to me even now).

I am currently learning C++ and object oriented programmin is only 2 chapters away. I heard it is a little difficult to pick up. I bet I'll drive Carnage nuts with my questions when I get there.

I dont particularly like programming. I've read a few beginner books such as "Principles and Practice Using C++" and understand the basics but thats about it.

My limit of programming is learning basic admin functions in PowerShell :p

If you ever end up doing software development professionally it will destroy any positive feeling you ever had about old languages.

Basically, because old languages are crap and difficult for achieving the same goal.

I don't think any professional programmer or software engineers would actually use these old outdated languages. I thought you meant the act of programming with a deadline would make you hate older less efficient languages.

I'm going to say it's the same reason people say messing with Windows 98 is pointless.

I think that may be the case for a lot of people. I like using old stuff/technolgy because it helps me see the big picture and understand the evoloution of technology. Well with win 98 is is just nostalgia for me. I actually found an old 8 track player when I was a kid and recorded some Run DMC and Public Enemy onto them from cassette tapes we had. I now understand from first hand experience where tapes and cds evolved from and .... more ranting without a point. Nvm Belay my last.

What makes you say that?

Yami pretty much nailed it, regardless of the task C# or Java is going to be easier/better at it compared to BASIC or even C++. That doesn't really matter when you are doing it for fun but it's a big deal when you are doing it for work.

Plus old projects are a pain no matter the language, most of the time you never have the proper documentation for it so even minor changes become a total pain.

I am currently learning C++ and object oriented programmin is only 2 chapters away. I heard it is a little difficult to pick up. I bet I'll drive Carnage nuts with my questions when I get there.
I like OOP much more than standard procedural. Makes it easier to manage data, IMO. It's kind of difficult in C++, as C++ isn't really a true OOP language really; it's C with objects (kind of) lol. C#, Java, Ruby, etc. are true OOP languages because that's what they were built with in mind.

If you ever end up doing software development professionally it will destroy any positive feeling you ever had about old languages.
Definitely. Hard for me to even go back to C++ now that I've spent so much time in C# lol.

Even my professors, who hate everything Microsoft (all of which mostly use Linux and only use Windows for the stuff the school makes them), said C# is a great language and improved over Java a lot.

I don't think any professional programmer or software engineers would actually use these old outdated languages. I thought you meant the act of programming with a deadline would make you hate older less efficient languages.
Tell that to NASA (Fortran), the DoD (Ada), any hardware programmers (C/assembly-like languages), any OS programmers (C/C++), bankers (COBOL), etc.; the list goes on. Just because a language is old, doesn't mean somebody is using it somewhere for something.

I think that may be the case for a lot of people. I like using old stuff/technolgy because it helps me see the big picture and understand the evoloution of technology. Well with win 98 is is just nostalgia for me. I actually found an old 8 track player when I was a kid and recorded some Run DMC and Public Enemy onto them from cassette tapes we had. I now understand from first hand experience where tapes and cds evolved from and .... more ranting without a point. Nvm Belay my last.

It does help a little to learn old languages first and then move up to more powerful languages. It's sort of a basis / foundation for learning the advanced languages, so you can look at a problem and think "Well, I did it this way in language X without all these tools, but now I can do it in language Y with all these nice libraries and tools to make it easier and more efficient."

Back
Top Bottom