What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

244246_10151137224694927_2100290353_o.jpg

I bought that on Friday.

If this is real then holy crap, i'm even more glad I bought the iphone. I'm not really that bothered about CPU speed generally, but this would never the less be impressive if real

gb.png

gb2.png

Android Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

I saw that too, but I'm a little confused, since I've seen two different benchmarks for the android devices. The one you linked to (which has slightly higher scores) and this one:

Android-Benchmarks.gif

I mean either way, it's damn impressive. I'm trying to wrap my head around the A6 being either faster or almost as fast as quad cores with higher frequencies. Crazy.

I saw that too, but I'm a little confused, since I've seen two different benchmarks for the android devices. The one you linked to (which has slightly higher scores) and this one:

Android-Benchmarks.gif

I mean either way, it's damn impressive. I'm trying to wrap my head around the A6 being either faster or almost as fast as quad cores with higher frequencies. Crazy.

Those quads are all Cortex A9's which explains the difference.

I knew you'd find a way to answer without complimenting the iPhone or Apple :p

Pretty good going for Apples first proper mobile CPU.

I knew you'd find a way to answer without complimenting the iPhone or Apple :p

Pretty good going for Apples first proper mobile CPU.

I just looked at the geekbench site and it shows that the Galaxy S3 i9300 scored a 1723 which puts it ahead of the iphone 5. The Nexus 7 also appears to be tying the 5 and its using a pretty average Tegra 2. The Note 2 is clocked 200mhz higher than the S3 so it should decisively beat the iphone 5 too.

I just looked at the geekbench site and it shows that the Galaxy S3 i9300 scored a 1723 which puts it ahead of the iphone 5. The Nexus 7 also appears to be tying the 5 and its using a pretty average Tegra 2. The Note 2 is clocked 200mhz higher than the S3 so it should decisively beat the iphone 5 too.

Your point? It's still a dual core performing close to the same level as a quad. And more to the point, it's performing among the "top ranking" android devices. It doesn't have to outperform everything on the planet to be a good phone.

Your point? It's still a dual core performing close to the same level as a quad. And more to the point, it's performing among the "top ranking" android devices. It doesn't have to outperform everything on the planet to be a good phone.

Exactley. Performance will vary slightly every time you do it, and on different devices by that amount anyway.

Dual core coming within about 1 or 2% of a quad core is impressive. And it negates all the issues with apps not having proper quad core support.

Last edited:

Only if you ignore the fact that A9 is an old architecture that is inferior to A15 like designs. Remember a dual core ~A15 beating a quad isn't something new and exciting, the HTC One S did that months ago when it shipped with Krait. You are also forgetting that Apple is on a yearly refresh cycle while new Android devices are released constantly, if the iPhone 5 can't beat the several month old Galaxy S3 then it won't stand a chance against the S4 Pro Devices like the Optimus G that will be out in the next 2-3 months.

I do find it funny that you guys care about geekbench all of a sudden though. You all must have thought the 4S was a simply horrible phone seeing as the Galaxy S2 i9100 scores nearly twice what it does and was 6 months old at the time the 4S was released.

I already said a few times I don't care. But it Is impressive, and a faster CPU is obviously better. What I mean is I wouldn't of cared if they stuck with A5 either, because iOS already performs excellantly.

This is apples first CPU they have designed for the iPhone, to pull those performance figures is impressive. Anyone can get a dual core A15 and post performance specs, much like apple did prior to IP5. Making your own is a different ball game.

I'm with Kman here. Performance is more than good enough with current phones for what we - or at least I - need it to do. It's been a while since phone CPU/GPU benchmarks mattered to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom