What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

must have been on sale or a total piece of crap at that price. I was actually told my members of this forum to avoid 3tb hard drives because they are more prone to premature failure

I actually got it for 99$ in the actual tigerdirect store not online though that's just a link to the model of drive I got
Not trying to come off as rude, but I could say the same for 1.5TB drives as the 7200.11 ones were all fail drives waiting to happen. As to price, same. I bought both of my 2TB drives for 69 bucks a pop. Times change really, and each drive can be different so I don't read a thing about drives unless it's SSD.

Today I bought some dish washer tabs and a dryer hose for our new place.

Not trying to come off as rude, but I could say the same for 1.5TB drives as the 7200.11 ones were all fail drives waiting to happen. As to price, same. I bought both of my 2TB drives for 69 bucks a pop. Times change really, and each drive can be different so I don't read a thing about drives unless it's SSD.

Today I bought some dish washer tabs and a dryer hose for our new place.

As I've said numerous times before, they weren't all "fail drives". They had a batch come out with a firmware that could cause issues, so they tried to get people to fix it by explaining in detail how to view your firmware and figure out if you needed to update it. And because people didn't listen to the instructions, loads of drives were flashed with new firmware that wasn't supposed to be flashed. I remember on the instruction page in GIANT BOLD RED LETTERS it explained if you had a certain firmware to make sure you DIDN'T update it...but still loads of people did and bricked their drives. Just because there was a lot of bricking of that series doesn't mean it was Seagate's fault, it was people who couldn't follow instructions properly. Seagate tried to remedy the problem of the rogue batch fairly quickly.

To expand on that, I still have that drive after all these years...been almost 5 years at this point. Still works like a charm.

I remember having one of those drives (still have it and use it actually). I hadn't updated it with the new firmware (didn't think it was one that needed it), so I just let it go. One day *poof* BIOS couldn't see it. Checked, and yup, it was one of the firmware bugged ones. Contacted SeaGate, I paid for shipping there, and they backed up all of my data on their side (for 30 days even, just in case the drive failed again), updated the firmware, and sent it back. Took about a week or so I think. Was damn good service, IMO.

Well I replaced that HDD with a new seagate one and things seem ok now. Mine apparently didn't need the update but still had the issue stated in the issues of the drives that needed updating. However these issues suddenly stopped happening in early 2009 so I thought I was out of the woods but every 6 months or so the drive would freeze and cause bsod but that was it. Just in april of this year the drive began vanishing from my computer randomly while playing a game or listening to music or videos and would cause the application accessing the file to hang and crash. This happened every day or so from then on out so last week I finally replaced the drive and since have had no issues.

Edit: The old drive seems to work alright in my HDD dock so maybe I will buy an external case for it.

As I've said numerous times before, they weren't all "fail drives". They had a batch come out with a firmware that could cause issues, so they tried to get people to fix it by explaining in detail how to view your firmware and figure out if you needed to update it. And because people didn't listen to the instructions, loads of drives were flashed with new firmware that wasn't supposed to be flashed. I remember on the instruction page in GIANT BOLD RED LETTERS it explained if you had a certain firmware to make sure you DIDN'T update it...but still loads of people did and bricked their drives. Just because there was a lot of bricking of that series doesn't mean it was Seagate's fault, it was people who couldn't follow instructions properly. Seagate tried to remedy the problem of the rogue batch fairly quickly.

To expand on that, I still have that drive after all these years...been almost 5 years at this point. Still works like a charm.
Are you thinking of the same drive as me? The ones I'm particularly talking about were the ones that were just dieing the click of death. Had nothing to do with firmware at all. I managed to grab one of these drives from Fry's and when I returned it decided to spend the extra 10 bucks and get one of the 2TB 5900s for 69. These drives were talked about all over the internet and avoided like the plague. Even still, like I said times change. The drives being shipped today should be 7200.12s which should be completely fine no matter. Wanted to just voice my opinion on the matter.

Are you thinking of the same drive as me? The ones I'm particularly talking about were the ones that were just dieing the click of death. Had nothing to do with firmware at all. I managed to grab one of these drives from Fry's and when I returned it decided to spend the extra 10 bucks and get one of the 2TB 5900s for 69. These drives were talked about all over the internet and avoided like the plague. Even still, like I said times change. The drives being shipped today should be 7200.12s which should be completely fine no matter. Wanted to just voice my opinion on the matter.

The 7200.11 series, yup. The 1.5TB models had that bad batch I was talking about. They were initially avoided after that batch came out...with the certain firmware version, drives were prone to failing. Before that there wasn't as much avoiding the drives, but when people started haphazardly flashing firmware, it caused a huge backlash even though the instructions were as clear as day. It just gets tiring to see people downing the drives because of end user mistakes causing bad reviews.

Not saying you're doing that by the way, didn't mean to come off as touchy. As a side note, the 1.5tb Seagates are all 7200.11, last I looked there are no 7200.12's shipping for 1tb+, at least on newegg.

The 7200.11 series, yup. The 1.5TB models had that bad batch I was talking about. They were initially avoided after that batch came out...with the certain firmware version, drives were prone to failing. Before that there wasn't as much avoiding the drives, but when people started haphazardly flashing firmware, it caused a huge backlash even though the instructions were as clear as day. It just gets tiring to see people downing the drives because of end user mistakes causing bad reviews.

Not saying you're doing that by the way, didn't mean to come off as touchy. As a side note, the 1.5tb Seagates are all 7200.11, last I looked there are no 7200.12's shipping for 1tb+, at least on newegg.
My friends 1TB Seagate he got RIGHT before the flooding and price hike is a 7200.12. Snagged that ***** for 40 bucks! Really though, drives are way too expensive. For some reason I would rather just delete all 2TB of my BD rips to make room for games and spend that 100 on a new SATA3 SSD. Wondering when people will realize how we are literally getting SNIP by those drive prices.

My friends 1TB Seagate he got RIGHT before the flooding and price hike is a 7200.12. Snagged that ***** for 40 bucks! Really though, drives are way too expensive. For some reason I would rather just delete all 2TB of my BD rips to make room for games and spend that 100 on a new SATA3 SSD. Wondering when people will realize how we are literally getting SNIP by those drive prices.

They were much worse for a while, at least now they've simmered down a bit. I remember I purchased my 1.5tb in 2008 for 130 bucks, and that was a good price then for that size.

Personally, I'm more of a media person than a gamer on my computer, so size is a must for storage as you know. Though I do like having an SSD as my OS drive.

My house has like... 10 seagate 7200.11 drives.. none are dead yet :tongue:

They were much worse for a while, at least now they've simmered down a bit. I remember I purchased my 1.5tb in 2008 for 130 bucks, and that was a good price then for that size.

Personally, I'm more of a media person than a gamer on my computer, so size is a must for storage as you know. Though I do like having an SSD as my OS drive.
When I got my 1TB drive it was 159 bucks if that shows you the age of that particular drive ;)
Course, it's a Seagate 7200 so it is a bit more expensive than their 5900s (which at the time not sure if they had yet). Luckily, I got my 2 2TB 5900s for 69 a piece at Frys after taking the 1.5TB back. I admit, they were on sale from 109, but still. 69 for 2TB. I also prefer media storage lately as I have been watching a lot of long running shows to pass the time watching the kid. I still prefer to have all my games though. I have 6TB worth of storage and it's basically all full =(

Back
Top Bottom