What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

The undoubtful winner, the Prescott. Besides that, any Pentium 4 to date was simply terrible, hot, and beatin by the underclocked Athlons.
Running second, the Celeron. That processor will probably have a terrible name it can never get rid of.
The 975x chipset. Slated as high end yet people had to buy later revisions to support later on processors. Then was held back by the 2 gen old south bridge. Which brings me to:
X38/X48. Too much, too late, too expensive, unwanted limitations. They were great, if you had more money than brains, but held back in their own ways. Not exactly a fail, but Intel shot theirselves in the foot with these when they released the P35/P45 boards. IIRC Nvidia had THE top GPUs but yet these boards did not do SLI. Pitty.
Hyper-Threading V1. I'm sure we can all agree it was simply rubbish and a marketing ploy.
Slot-A Pentium 3. Omg these were so terrible for consumers. I personally had 3 and my Duron made mince meat of them. I suppose they were great for offices because (I've been told) they were fairly cheap as OEMs could get them at a huge discount. Still though, small weak fans riddled with problems if put in non-clean environments, easily over heated, ect. I also personally had tons of problems making them work in their own boards if they sat a while.
The first Pentium with its float bug. Almost as popular as the TLB Errata from AMD.
Last but of course not least, the 320 SSD with it's 8MB bug.
I can keep going, but there is no point. Intel has made many rubbish products and have been doing it long before OCZs terrible Vertex 2 scare. Point being, people still use Intel because the name has been put on the high totem pole for years. Not because everything they release is quality.

Disclaimer:
I can name off rubbish products from many companies. Intel was just in the spotlight this time.

You missed Itanium.

The undoubtful winner, the Prescott. Besides that, any Pentium 4 to date was simply terrible, hot, and beatin by the underclocked Athlons.
Running second, the Celeron. That processor will probably have a terrible name it can never get rid of.
The 975x chipset. Slated as high end yet people had to buy later revisions to support later on processors. Then was held back by the 2 gen old south bridge. Which brings me to:
X38/X48. Too much, too late, too expensive, unwanted limitations. They were great, if you had more money than brains, but held back in their own ways. Not exactly a fail, but Intel shot theirselves in the foot with these when they released the P35/P45 boards. IIRC Nvidia had THE top GPUs but yet these boards did not do SLI. Pitty.
Hyper-Threading V1. I'm sure we can all agree it was simply rubbish and a marketing ploy.
Slot-A Pentium 3. Omg these were so terrible for consumers. I personally had 3 and my Duron made mince meat of them. I suppose they were great for offices because (I've been told) they were fairly cheap as OEMs could get them at a huge discount. Still though, small weak fans riddled with problems if put in non-clean environments, easily over heated, ect. I also personally had tons of problems making them work in their own boards if they sat a while.
The first Pentium with its float bug. Almost as popular as the TLB Errata from AMD.
Last but of course not least, the 320 SSD with it's 8MB bug.
I can keep going, but there is no point. Intel has made many rubbish products and have been doing it long before OCZs terrible Vertex 2 scare. Point being, people still use Intel because the name has been put on the high totem pole for years. Not because everything they release is quality.

Disclaimer:
I can name off rubbish products from many companies. Intel was just in the spotlight this time.

There are only two quality issues on that list, the 320 Series bug and the Original Pentium TLB issue. Considering that spans 20 years I'd say it's pretty good. OCZ has released more than 2 defective products in the last 2 years much less 20.

A sample of the latest SSD return rates currently published.

- Crucial 0.82%
- Intel 1.73%
- Corsair 2.93%
- OCZ 7.03%

Samsung isn't on that list but since they have never had a single firmware bug on the 830 series it should be good.

There are only two quality issues on that list, the 320 Series bug and the Original Pentium TLB issue. Considering that spans 20 years I'd say it's pretty good. OCZ has released more than 2 defective products in the last 2 years much less 20.

A sample of the latest SSD return rates currently published.

- Crucial 0.82%
- Intel 1.73%
- Corsair 2.93%
- OCZ 7.03%

Samsung isn't on that list but since they have never had a single firmware bug on the 830 series it should be good.
We (as in Corrosive and I) weren't talking about quality, we were talking about rubbish products. My point to him was that people buy Intel because it says Intel. Not because of some silly figures. When AMD was king for a few years everybody still bought crap P4s because they were Intel.
And to top it off, I could have listed off a lot more products, but simply listed only the ones I have personally come across. You interjected asking for said list, there it is. In the first couple years of Pentium almost every single one of them had an issue of some sort making each one of them coming off the line defective.
I find it funnier still, that even though you argue so heavily over OCZ SSD's you own one. It kind of makes your whole argument look stupid.

We (as in Corrosive and I) weren't talking about quality, we were talking about rubbish products. My point to him was that people buy Intel because it says Intel. Not because of some silly figures. When AMD was king for a few years everybody still bought crap P4s because they were Intel.
And to top it off, I could have listed off a lot more products, but simply listed only the ones I have personally come across. You interjected asking for said list, there it is. In the first couple years of Pentium almost every single one of them had an issue of some sort making each one of them coming off the line defective.
I find it funnier still, that even though you argue so heavily over OCZ SSD's you own one. It kind of makes your whole argument look stupid.

I bought my OCZ drives when they were first released and no one knew how bad the quality actually was, my last three SSD purchases have been two Intels and a Sandisk. As it is my Agility 2 doesn't store any important data, and I make frequent backup images of it so in the event it did die I could image the spare Intel and be up and running again in a matter of minutes. Besides the fact that I have multiple OCZ SSDs should make my argument more credible, I obviously don't hate them if I bought several hundred dollars worth of drives from them.

When it comes to my data I try to buy the most reliable drives I can but that doesn't mean I am not prepared for their failure. I make nightly incremental backups of all my files and insure that any important data is located on a minimum of two different drives. I also have my most critical data synced with dropbox to ensure I have an off site backup as well as to provide convenient mobile access.

I bought my OCZ drives when they were first released and no one knew how bad the quality actually was, my last three SSD purchases have been two Intels and a Sandisk. As it is my Agility 2 doesn't store any important data, and I make frequent backup images of it so in the event it did die I could image the spare Intel and be up and running again in a matter of minutes. Besides the fact that I have multiple OCZ SSDs should make my argument more credible, I obviously don't hate them if I bought several hundred dollars worth of drives from them.

When it comes to my data I try to buy the most reliable drives I can but that doesn't mean I am not prepared for their failure. I make nightly incremental backups of all my files and insure that any important data is located on a minimum of two different drives. I also have my most critical data synced with dropbox to ensure I have an off site backup as well as to provide convenient mobile access.

Jesus ****, anyone would think you work for the CIA and handle government documents.

Jesus ****, anyone would think you work for the CIA and handle government documents.

If you get burned by a drive failure it tends to make you paranoid about it happening again. It's not like I spend any time on this though, Acronis automatically handles all of the backups and I have an 800gb Caviar Green to store the backups from all of my other drives.

I really want to move all of my backups and media to a server with a couple tb raid 10 array but I'm not willing to buy the drives for it at these marked up prices.

If I was really paranoid I'd keep a complete off site backup of everything but I'm way to cheap to pay for something like that when my most important data only adds up to 1gb or so.

I don't really have any important files I guess. A few documents like my resumé, thats about it. The rest can be reacquired online.

I agree with Puddle_Jumper. I back up all of my **** on 2 different drives, each in a different room in the house. The really important stuff gets backed up every night to a HDD that is then transported to an underground facility and guarded by Chuck Norris.

Back
Top Bottom