What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

60k a year, tough life! :facepalm:

Sorry it's just that you made it sound like you'd be on the breadline.

If my company found out I was using a translator (translation is half of my job,) they would demote me back to being a service tech. I'd be out in the field, and only making like 60k a year again. I would probably lose my mind if I had to work with those *******s again...

Well, i'm in a oil and gas based Engineering company... NO KaBoom is all that needs to be garrenteed. ;) Number are the important thing... but finding them in 100 page manufactuerers report has to get done.

It is breadline.... Just the bread truck is made of Silver and gives out fine pastries and lapdances.

Well, i'm in a oil and gas based Engineering company... NO KaBoom is all that needs to be garrenteed. ;) Number are the important thing... but finding them in 100 page manufactuerers report has to get done.

It is breadline.... Just the bread truck is made of Silver and gives out fine pastries and lapdances.

LOL!

Ha, I can just see it now..

Lol right. I'd be set with 60k a year since I'm such a penny pincher. Well, in some areas I am.

Meh, I dunno. Most people with hobbies would be able to spend as much as you gave them. You only think that because you are used to not spending. But you are interested in cars, computers, audio.. and I don't know what else but probably other stuff. If you were gave 100K a year you could easily spend that on your hobbies. You could also do the same with 500k. Even a million.

Unless you are a earning tens of millions, there are always things that you can't afford but would like.

Whatever you earn, people always look at stuff they want that is just out of reach. For example when I get my target job on 12K a year I will be able to afford a 20k car. But whenever i'm on car sites, it's always a case of "Oh wow, if only I could afford 10k more, I could get this car". That is going to be the same for 22 year old traders on wall street earning 100k a year. They are going to look at cars worth 100k, or 150k, and just wish they could afford the next ferrari up which costs 200k.

There are probably only a couple hundred people in the world that could literally afford whatever they want.

LOL!

Ha, I can just see it now..

Meh, I dunno. Most people with hobbies would be able to spend as much as you gave them. You only think that because you are used to not spending. But you are interested in cars, computers, audio.. and I don't know what else but probably other stuff. If you were gave 100K a year you could easily spend that on your hobbies. You could also do the same with 500k. Even a million.

Unless you are a earning tens of millions, there are always things that you can't afford but would like.

Whatever you earn, people always look at stuff they want that is just out of reach. For example when I get my target job on 12K a year I will be able to afford a 20k car. But whenever i'm on car sites, it's always a case of "Oh wow, if only I could afford 10k more, I could get this car". That is going to be the same for 22 year old traders on wall street earning 100k a year. They are going to look at cars worth 100k, or 150k, and just wish they could afford the next ferrari up which costs 200k.

There are probably only a couple hundred people in the world that could literally afford whatever they want.
Sure, anybody could. It's maturity and financial stability that makes some different from most. If I was making what my best friend made (roughly 50-60k, the Verizon dude) I wouldn't be doing exactly what he does, which is what you said. Spending all of what you make. He instantly went to a 4bdrm 2 bath house and renting it for 680. Hellllll no, I wouldn't do that. He is still paying over 300/m on a car note for a 2008 TC. Ew. There is 900 of his cash blown in 2 things. I don't work that way. I would go BUY the house next to the ladies parents in a very nice neighborhood after saving for the down and financing through her family. After that a brick (his isn't brick) 3bdrm 2 bath house with 2 car garage and in ground pool (pools are hella expensive in these parts) would cost me about 350/m totaling about 80k. All 4 of our vehicles are paid for and we only pay liability insurance on both. So our cars cost us weekly gas and 40 a piece on insurance. Mmmm cheap. I would retain our lowest you can get phone bill so both phones only cost us around 130/m then bundle our ATT internet at the new place to make the internet cheaper. That's just for starters. See the major difference? I don't think financially like most people do. I make 50k so therefor I must spend 50k, that is how most think.
My computer hobby takes up some cash every 2-3 years which isn't much considering I never buy top of the line. Most of the time I get used parts or trade.
My car hobby when I can actually afford it will be very very cheap. All I have to do is pay for gas and take an 1800 mile one way trip.
My music hobby is also cheap from knowing people in the area. I can thank my dad for that. I can get almost new gear for extremely cheap if I had the cash.

I have MS and some other medical problems; my life was a living hell when I was out there. My insurance sucked, too, and at least half of my salary was spent on medical stuff. I know that sounded bad, but for me 60k a year, I was hurting.

If you're making it your goal to spend all of what you make, what happens when there's a emergency?

Sure, anybody could. It's maturity and financial stability that makes some different from most. If I was making what my best friend made (roughly 50-60k, the Verizon dude) I wouldn't be doing exactly what he does, which is what you said. Spending all of what you make. He instantly went to a 4bdrm 2 bath house and renting it for 680. Hellllll no, I wouldn't do that. He is still paying over 300/m on a car note for a 2008 TC. Ew. There is 900 of his cash blown in 2 things. I don't work that way. I would go BUY the house next to the ladies parents in a very nice neighborhood after saving for the down and financing through her family. After that a brick (his isn't brick) 3bdrm 2 bath house with 2 car garage and in ground pool (pools are hella expensive in these parts) would cost me about 350/m totaling about 80k. All 4 of our vehicles are paid for and we only pay liability insurance on both. So our cars cost us weekly gas and 40 a piece on insurance. Mmmm cheap. I would retain our lowest you can get phone bill so both phones only cost us around 130/m then bundle our ATT internet at the new place to make the internet cheaper. That's just for starters. See the major difference? I don't think financially like most people do. I make 50k so therefor I must spend 50k, that is how most think.
My computer hobby takes up some cash every 2-3 years which isn't much considering I never buy top of the line. Most of the time I get used parts or trade.
My car hobby when I can actually afford it will be very very cheap. All I have to do is pay for gas and take an 1800 mile one way trip.
My music hobby is also cheap from knowing people in the area. I can thank my dad for that. I can get almost new gear for extremely cheap if I had the cash.

When I first got married and got the promotion, I was still spending quite a lot. My first promotion brought me up to 100k salaried. I was paying off college, house, cars, and medical bills. For a year or so things were still tight. But the good thing was that all of my other bills (electricity, phone, internet, cable, memberships, etc...) were all based around making 60k or less a year. So I began to get the medical and house bills paid off faster because all of my other bills were still cheap. Then later on the company had a higher position open, I applied, and the accepted me. Right now I'm a translator, branch manager, and when needed I go out on service calls. I do it all. But since I've been with the company since my second year of college, they naturally will give me a raise every once and awhile. Last month my branch brought in 5 new international based clients, and everyone's salary got bumped up. Currently I'm salaried at 125k. My wife recently got a new job at the Children's hospital. She's a Radiology Tech (or whatever fancy job title she has for it.) Since she just started out, she's making less than the more experienced techs. She's expected to take home 80-100k her first year. So in reality, if we were very frugal about things, I could buy a damn Ferrari if I wanted to. But being back to 60k a year; I just wouldn't make it. The insurance just isn't good enough to cover everything. I wish I lived in Canada sometimes. :annoyed:

try living on 12,000/yr.... that's what I live on. have been for close to 4 years

and I eat out 6 or 7 times a month. I have enough saved for an SSD and a new router right now.... as well as 100 saved so far for new dishwasher.

I can buy 200 worth of clothes every 2 or 3 months

I managed to get two 1000 dollar computers, 3 monitors, two nice computer desks, and get lots of stuff for my new house in that time frame relatively easy....

try living on 12,000/yr.... that's what I live on. have been for close to 4 years

and I eat out 6 or 7 times a month. I have enough saved for an SSD and a new router right now.... as well as 100 saved so far for new dishwasher.

I managed to get two 1000 dollar computers, 3 monitors, two nice computer desks, and get lots of stuff for my new house in that time frame relatively easy....

I don't really know what $12,000 gets you over there and if you are entitled to any state benefits, but having all that stuff on that kind of money is pretty good going. You should be able to get a job earning more than that. You clearly know enough about computers. Get some Microsoft qualifications or something, that'll go a long way to getting a well paid job for sure.

I rarely go out to eat. I like to cook, and when I do go out I like to go somewhere nice, so I can't go out all the time. I think you should manage my finances :cute: Clothing wise.. I have a 16 year old who likes American Eagle, Hollister, Calvin Klein, Aero, Polo, etc... Most of my clothing budget goes to him. No, I don't spoil him. He's had a job since he was 15. He knew he didn't have to get one, but he went out and took on the responsibility, so I have no problem buying him things. Clothing for me consists of two big trips a year to the Outlets where I spend a couple grand. That includes suits for work, as well. I'm quite the bargain hunter sometimes :tongue:

I don't really know what $12,000 gets you over there and if you are entitled to any state benefits, but having all that stuff on that kind of money is pretty good going. You should be able to get a job earning more than that. You clearly know enough about computers. Get some Microsoft qualifications or something, that'll go a long way to getting a well paid job for sure.

I think she could get a Net+ easily. That would bring on so many opportunities, Remixed. :big_smile:

Back
Top Bottom