What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

You can just use programs like PowerISO or DaemonTools to achieve the same thing - but it's actually a cool piece of tech, since it's not reliant on you having such programs installed.

So... it's an external HDD with built-in CD emulation. I am not impressed :p

I am. If I can replace a stack of OS disks with this one drive then I'm going to buy one right away, the only question for me is whether it works in the way I hope it does.

You can just use programs like PowerISO or DaemonTools to achieve the same thing - but it's actually a cool piece of tech, since it's not reliant on you having such programs installed.

More than that, it would seem that you don't need an OS installed, a pretty impressive technical leap over anything that I've seen in the past.

I would have thought that such a thing would be technically complex and prohibitively expensive given that I read this just a few days ago. Looks like booting is pretty tricky when you get down to it...

On the other hand this (though sold out atm) appears to be retailing at £33. Well worth it IMO.

What's cool is you can plug it into a USB port of a machine and select whether it appears as an optical drive, external HDD or both. If you are using it as an optical drive, you can select which ISO to mount BEFORE you boot the machine so you can boot from it. I've used software that lets you load some selected ISO's on to a thumbdrive then boot to a menu and select which ISO to continue with. Not every ISO can be used and when a new ISO is added you have to "generate" a new menu. In order to use an ISO with this device it's a matter of copying the ISO to a folder on the drive named "_iso" and it's useable. No other prep required.

I wish the toggle/select switch was a little better designed. You toggle up to scroll up, toggle down to scroll down then press to select. When you press to select, there is a "notch", a center place you have to hit just right, if not, it will interpret it as an up/down toggle. Sometimes takes me a couple tries.

I am. If I can replace a stack of OS disks with this one drive then I'm going to buy one right away, the only question for me is whether it works in the way I hope it does.

More than that, it would seem that you don't need an OS installed, a pretty impressive technical leap over anything that I've seen in the past.

I would have thought that such a thing would be technically complex and prohibitively expensive given that I read this just a few days ago. Looks like booting is pretty tricky when you get down to it...

On the other hand this (though sold out atm) appears to be retailing at £33. Well worth it IMO.

I was thinking the same thing when I read about that enclosure. I already have a spare 120gb 2.5" drive laying around so I'm going to pick one up for it to give it a try. If it really delivers on what it claims I can see picking several more up for work as it could turn a entire binder of of os install disks and bootable utilities into a single convenient item, a major help for tech's that do a lot of field work.

The combined ODD/HDD mode also seems ideal for imaging systems. You could easily boot from a ghost iso on the drive then image the system from the same drive.

Don't wanna burst your bubble, but I don't see you maxing BF3 even with that rig.

Correct. On twitter the devs said the game will "look fantastic" when asked how a GTX570 will run it. He went on to say "Running the game at max costs stupid money". Sorry but GTX285 is a long way off cutting it for max settings.

A pair of GTX285's will actually do quite well... The BF3 demo at E3 was played at max on a single GTX580 with a consistent 60fps, and I can't imagine two GTX285's being far off from a 580's performance.

And given that the game isn't released yet it will probably be a bit more optimized when it does hit the market. Not to mention that 285's are DX10, so at max DX10 settings two 285's should really have little trouble.

Well two is a totally different matter. I thought we were talking one 285.

I would be surprised if sli'd 285's cant get high or close to max settings.

What's cool is you can plug it into a USB port of a machine and select whether it appears as an optical drive, external HDD or both. If you are using it as an optical drive, you can select which ISO to mount BEFORE you boot the machine so you can boot from it. I've used software that lets you load some selected ISO's on to a thumbdrive then boot to a menu and select which ISO to continue with. Not every ISO can be used and when a new ISO is added you have to "generate" a new menu. In order to use an ISO with this device it's a matter of copying the ISO to a folder on the drive named "_iso" and it's useable. No other prep required.

I wish the toggle/select switch was a little better designed. You toggle up to scroll up, toggle down to scroll down then press to select. When you press to select, there is a "notch", a center place you have to hit just right, if not, it will interpret it as an up/down toggle. Sometimes takes me a couple tries.

I was thinking the same thing when I read about that enclosure. I already have a spare 120gb 2.5" drive laying around so I'm going to pick one up for it to give it a try. If it really delivers on what it claims I can see picking several more up for work as it could turn a entire binder of of os install disks and bootable utilities into a single convenient item, a major help for tech's that do a lot of field work.

The combined ODD/HDD mode also seems ideal for imaging systems. You could easily boot from a ghost iso on the drive then image the system from the same drive.
Yea this sounds exceptionally awesome for people like me when some PCs don't even boot to a USB flash drive. Plus you're not limited to only one OS.

A pair of GTX285's will actually do quite well... The BF3 demo at E3 was played at max on a single GTX580 with a consistent 60fps, and I can't imagine two GTX285's being far off from a 580's performance.

And given that the game isn't released yet it will probably be a bit more optimized when it does hit the market. Not to mention that 285's are DX10, so at max DX10 settings two 285's should really have little trouble.
Except they are speaking in terms of DX11. His cards are DX10 and will go far, but I wouldn't say max.

I bought a nice outfit today for IT work and interviews.
Kinda already said that. Like I said before though, I thought it was a pair of 580s running DX11 max.

Just bought a Wacom Bamboo for my friend's bday (which was in April), plus the first Song of Ice and Fire book for my mother. About to buy a 640GB drive for my friend's new PS3 (or for his laptop, then the old laptop drive will go in the PS3), and a 500GB USB 3 portable drive for myself.

Back
Top Bottom