What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Forgot to mention, just bought this about 3 weeks ago to replace the accord. I bought it out right in cash for $5800.

DSCN1267.jpg

2000 Merc C230 Kompressor
5G-Tronic
23L supercharger I4 195hp
RWD
leather seats
side airbags
all the other cool things you would expect form a mercedes.

Pretty poor hp/L there. :p

On a more serious note it's surprising how reasonable prices on older luxury cards like that can be.

Samsung-Captivate.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate.

I've only had it for an hour or so but couldn't be happier with it. The Super AMOLED display is unlike anything I have seen before, the blacks are so good when you are using an app with a black background you can't even tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins. It's also extremely smooth and responsive and has no problem at all with multitasking.

Now I just need to get Quake 3 running on it. :grin:

I have to say if i had to upgrade from my iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4 didn't exist, i would get that Samsung Captivate. I am extremely happy with everything on my phone except the black levels, they're fine but they're only nice inky blacks when you turn the brightness down to 1/3rd, which suggests a poorly designed edge lit LED system to me. But then i suppose if it was using Samsung latest edge lit LED tech the phone would be like £600/£700 instead of 500. And apple arn't ever going to use S AMOLED, because that'd be copying.

The only thing that seems to suck about the captivate is its battery life, is up to 5 hours 50 minutes talk time is a bit crap compared to IP4's 14hours.

Lol @ Quake 3. As much as i like to look at nice graphics on FPS games on touch screen phones, the controls really do suck. The best i have came across are NOVA, but they are still not great by any means.

I have to say if i had to upgrade from my iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4 didn't exist, i would get that Samsung Captivate. I am extremely happy with everything on my phone except the black levels, they're fine but they're only nice inky blacks when you turn the brightness down to 1/3rd, which suggests a poorly designed edge lit LED system to me. But then i suppose if it was using Samsung latest edge lit LED tech the phone would be like £600/£700 instead of 500. And apple arn't ever going to use S AMOLED, because that'd be copying.

The only thing that seems to suck about the captivate is its battery life, is up to 5 hours 50 minutes talk time is a bit crap compared to IP4's 14hours.

Lol @ Quake 3. As much as i like to look at nice graphics on FPS games on touch screen phones, the controls really do suck. The best i have came across are NOVA, but they are still not great by any means.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the battery life but everything else about the phone was good enough for me to go for it anyways. The S-AMOLED display is perfectly black even with brightness at max which is a pleasant change from the LCDs used in pretty much every electronic device in existence.

Quake 3 is more of a novelty on a phone than anything. I just wanted to try it to see a pc game running with great fps on a device that comfortably fits in the palm of your hand.

As far as controls are concerned there is an app for using the Wiimote to control games on android unfortunately it isn't compatible with phones using bluetooth 3.

I'd like to compare the black levels to a very good plasma like a Panasonic VT20, it's black brightness is just 0.009cd/m2 which is stupidly black. The all time master Pioneer Kuro was only marginally better @ 0.003cd/m2

Do you know if that 5hrs 50minutes is on 3G ? Because apples website does say 7hours talk time on 3G which would imply only about 15percent difference, but 14hours on 2G. I just assumed it meant 2G from where it says "up to" implying that is the max. If so, that's pretty dire. My iphone is only on 10percent battery at the end of a day with fairly heavy usage (most days, i love being on my phone :) ).

Not quite just bought, but about a week ago, I bought another R4 card (this one for my friend) - and just in time too, as it turned out! (they're now banned from sale)

It's banned just like underage drinking, doesn't mean anyone listens. It can still be found in plenty of shops.

I guess, it's just annoying to me that the site I usually get them from had to shut down.

I'd like to compare the black levels to a very good plasma like a Panasonic VT20, it's black brightness is just 0.009cd/m2 which is stupidly black. The all time master Pioneer Kuro was only marginally better @ 0.003cd/m2

Do you know if that 5hrs 50minutes is on 3G ? Because apples website does say 7hours talk time on 3G which would imply only about 15percent difference, but 14hours on 2G. I just assumed it meant 2G from where it says "up to" implying that is the max. If so, that's pretty dire. My iphone is only on 10percent battery at the end of a day with fairly heavy usage (most days, i love being on my phone :) ).

I'm not sure if that talk time is on 3g or not but knowing manufacturers it might be 2g. It would be interesting to see a sife by side comparison of the S-AMOLED and a good plasma, I wish I had thought to do one when I was at best buy picking up the phone.

Back
Top Bottom