What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Well.. Bought a new hole saw. Okay it was gave to me by the owner of the HW store. Broke teeth on mine yesturday Cutting unique fairlead in my front bumper for the winch line.

Luke inspired me to get off my butt and finish the case mod I started last September so I got some casters and some more cut off wheels for de dremel.

A hammer because the new house doesn't have one and some finishing nails to put the trim back up in my room.

Total cost of everything about $15.

Now I need to build a new desk and a work bench in the shop.

:D :D :D :D :D :

look what i just bought!

GUESS WHAT IM GUNNA DO TO MY COMPUTER!

*snip*

Did you buy a top for the pump? Why did you get a BIP rad?
The enzotech sapphire isn't particularly good either....

Also I would advise against using dyes in your water, or premixed dyed solutions. The dye will eventually come out of suspension and stain/clog your blocks. Using colored tubing is the best choice if you want color.

A new fluorescent bulb for my aquarium, along with tap water conditioner, fish food, and a few Neon Tetras.

Nice! Somebody else with an aquarium ^_^ "What you runnin?"

I just started and in the process of finally getting set in. I have a 100g tank, EHEIM Classic 2217, two Blood Parrots, a Pleco (not sure which kind, but I think Chinese), and four Neon Tetras. Looking to add several more because the tank looks pretty empty. I'll post pictures later when the bulb gets here.

How about you?

Running a small and very slightly *"Overclocked" Freshwater aquarium, Specs as follows

30g Tank

Filter - Hagen AquaClear Power Filters (70 gal rating (300GPH, running at ~55, it helps deal with the self-sustaining aspect of it)
Air - Whisper Air Pump 60 gal (running at ~40)
Heater - ViaAqua Stainless Steel Freshwater Heater

Upgrading (should be in tomorrow) with the stuff I actually just posted on the last page lol (previously running similar to below, but it was a single Ultra Sun bulb, which died recently, and I want to help out the mid-light required plants a bit more, which as of now rely heavily on fertilizers and a slightly longer (14 not 12) day period to survive the lower light conditions).
Twin-Tube Black Fluorescent Strip Lights
Ultra Sun bulb
Flora Sun bulb
LED Lunar Lights
Day/night cycle timed power strip

As far as fish go
1 Red Tail Black Shark
1 Clown Loach (Hopefully I can get the 100g up and running before he outgrows the 30g, it will be a good year or two before that can happen though, also, I know they recommend 2 per tank)
4 Bosemani Rainbows (I know they recommend 6)

It is also semi-dense with live plants (5 species), with vallisneria being the dominant plant.

Vallisneria (Can't remember type, not giant or corkscrew)
Java Fern
Red Cryptocoryne
Anubias Nana (I think this is it)
Cant Think of the 5th one right now

Probably after I get the new lighting system established, I may introduce some Micro-Sword, which if I can keep in order will make a good base. That is of course if the lighting is up to par and space permits (Will have to remove some vallisneria which I actually sell to the pet stores because that stuff grows out of control lol.

May also post some pics later ^_^
Currently running at about 60% self-sufficiency, meaning a 30-50% water change every month (usually 3 weeks or so) or two (Really pushing it, and won't be able to make it that long for much longer) and food every other day. More or less I don't need to mess with it lol everything else is set up to happen automatically or require minimal maintenance, at least until the fish get full size.

*Overclocked in this case means slightly overstocked.

Feel Free to disregard this next section, just a bit of a conflict I have read about between some fish you have, though you may be aware of it.
A note on your aquarium, the Blood Parrots and Pleco (just about any kind) will go good together, However the Blood Parrot may decide to eat your neon tetras lol

(The following is based on what I have read)
Unfortunately, from what I have read the Blood Parrots are a somewhat limiting fish. The following quote is a good summary of what I have read.
"The Blood Parrots are a peaceful, shy fish that should not be kept with real aggressive tank mates. However, if you keep them in a community aquarium with similar sized fish, be aware that they can be territorial."

In other words, keep them with other peaceful (meaning not semi-aggressive or aggressive) fish, but they can not be smaller lol.

Your best options for expanding based on what you have would be...
Featherfin Squeaker, Green Terror, Leopard Pleco L( 114), Peppermint Pleco (L 030), Salvini Cichlid, Severum, Silver Dollar, Sunshine Pleco (L 014), or Texas Cichlid

However don't feel too limited, It really depends on the tank, and you could probably house them successfully if you left enough room with several other species (perhaps even some semi aggressive) if you leave them enough room.
IE: I have successfully housed tiger barbs (8) with neon tetras before (12). Logic says that is a terrible idea, however it worked out just fine.

Yah, totally post some pictures! I love aquariums and what creative ways people come up with to make them work lol.

Is it planted?

wow, lots of things going on in there.

I also use the whisper air pump, but I would like the 100g. The one I have is only rated for 40.

I don't use a heater right now, as it's summer here with the temps regularly in the 90s. Keeps the water around 80F.

I planning on getting maybe angelfish or more cichlids.

Only 1-2 times a month water change? I read 25% of the tank once a week. Maybe it depends on how much waste your fish produce. Oh yea..."food every other day." I feed mine once a day. Sometimes twice.

FoxMcCarther said:
However the Blood Parrot will in all likelihood decide to eat your neon tetras lol
haha yea I read about that. It's just that after getting the tank set up, my father decided to buy whatever fish he wanted without telling me. But those neons are just lighting fast, so are the Blood Parrots though.

I read that Plecos (or was it algae eaters [same?]), once they get full sized, they start to get aggressive and latch on to other fish.

And thanks for the tankmate suggestions!

Under normal circumstances, 25% once a week is a very, very good idea. However I have my tank sort of set up to last a bit longer. As far as the fish go, if they start to get too big, I either sell or move to a specialized tank (Keeps the bio-load down), also, the plants really help with that as well (rather heavily planted). Also, the filter is running over twice what it should be, which really helps as well. While I can't recommend going over a month for anybody, in my case a month is (usually) fine (I usually do it every 2-3 weeks though) but if I wait another week or two, it won't decimate my tank. (especially given how all the fish are still very small so there is only a light bioload, even though once they are all full grown my tank will be slightly overstocked, and will require the weekly (or bi-weekly as will probably be my case) water changes.)

Or put in a nice chart, what I do to combat the nasty water problem is (put simply)
- slightly warmer temperatures and higher intensity lighting which will help the plants utilize the waste
- Keep the bulk waste (dead leaves, ETC) out as soon as it appears
- Feeding every other day cuts back on waste produced as well as excess food decay
- Excessive filters help clear and filter the water (However the filter needs to be cleaned / changed more often than otherwise)
- Waste Control Bacterias (deals with the harmful side effects of leaving the "Poo" out.
- Use of Chemicals (I use many chemicals to combat the buildup of harmful chemicals that would normally be taken care of with water changes IE: Amonia and such). EasyBalance Biological Water Conditioner is one I use frequently

That said, it is a whole lot easier just to do the water changes, I only have so much effort into skipping water changes safely because I have no choice, I go to college half way across the country and I only come home every / every-other month. Once I go I have an auto-feeder I hook up because I can't even trust people to feed em lol

Anyway, this should give you more information on the Plecos
Pleco Care

Completely unrelated, I find 77f to be the perfect temperature for the types of fish I have, I need the heater because even though it is summer, the water temp on my aquarium still likes to sit at about 74, and it goes down in the winter months as well.

You ought to get with Osiris. His aquarium is salt water, but it is frigging awesome.

Back
Top Bottom