TheMajor said:
What's MOLP?
Microsoft
Open
Lience
Program

We allso have Software Assurance too

What's an "Open License"?

Working on the principle that the more you buy, the cheaper it is, Microsoft Open License provides simple and flexible volume-based pricing for any business size. Open License gives your company the right to install Microsoft software products covered under the agreement and distribute them throughout your business (single legal entity).
* It's cheaper than buying retail full packaged product software.
* There's no paperwork and manuals. View your licenses and official information online. Then simply order your software on CD and have it delivered in the post.

What is "Software Assurance"?

Microsoft's Software Assurance gives you automatic access to new technology and provides support, tools, and training to help deploy and use software efficiently.

* Features and Benefits
- Productivity: Acquire the latest software automatically, spread payments annually, and extend the workplace to the home.

- New Version Rights - With Software Assurance, you receive access to new versions of licensed software released during the term of your agreement to deploy at your own pace. New Version Rights simplifies the procurement process and shortens the business process cycle, allowing you to reduce the costs associated with acquiring new version releases and immediately take advantage of the latest technology.

- Home Use Program (Office Systems software only) - The Home Use Program increases employee productivity and maximizes the value of your Microsoft Office investment by enabling your employees to work at home. With Home Use Rights, employees can get a licensed copy of select Microsoft Office desktop programs to install and use on a home computer.

- Employee Purchase Program (EPP) (Desktop software only) - The Microsoft Employee Purchase Program gives your employees significant discounts off of retail pricing on Microsoft's most popular productivity and consumer products.

* Support: Access resources that help keep business systems running smoothly.

- TechNet Online Concierge Chat - TechNet Online Concierge Chat offers one-on-one, Web-based chat sessions with Microsoft online advisors to help you quickly locate information needed to troubleshoot technology issues.

- TechNet Plus (Server software only) - For server licenses with Software Assurance (SA), IT professionals have access to TechNet Plus Subscription content, featuring resources such as the knowledge base, utilities, drivers, and how-to articles to help them succeed. The TechNet Plus Subscription Media also includes access to beta release candidate software and evaluation copies of the latest applications.

- Problem Resolution Support (Server software only) - Software Assurance (SA) provides customers with Standard Editions of servers with access to Web-based support on qualifying servers, while customers with Enterprise Editions of servers can access telephone support on qualifying servers. This support provides assistance for problems with specific symptoms encountered where there is a reasonable expectation that the problems are caused by Microsoft products.

- Extended Lifecycle Hotfix Support (Server software only) - With Software Assurance (SA), customers may request hotfixes for products in the Extended Lifecycle Support without signing up or paying an initial fee prior to determining a need. This means customers do not pay for extended support unless hotfixes are required. Current Software Assurance customers should note that the 90-day time frame to sign up for two years of additional nonsecurity hotfix support beyond the mainstream period of five years has been removed. As always, security fixes are automatically extended to customers.

* Tools: Deploy software efficiently, monitor errors, and access Microsoft Windows source code.

- Corporate Error Reporting (CER) - CER gives IT professionals a clear and easy way to monitor and review error information so they can control deployment of fixes and resolutions. It provides the ability for applications and the operating system to collect and report on crashes in the system, and gives IT staff the ability to control the types of reports sent to Microsoft.

- Enterprise Source Licensing Program (ESLP) (Windows Client only) - With the Enterprise Source Licensing Program (ESLP), eligible customers with 1,500 or more licensed desktops can access Microsoft Windows® source code for internal development and support. IT staff can make adjustments and improvements to systems and related applications, and implement improved debugging to help maintain security and protect against viruses and other computer hazards.

- Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) - WinPE is a tool based on Microsoft Windows® XP Professional that allows IT staff to build custom solutions that speed up deployment through automation so they spend less time and effort keeping desktops updated. WinPE can run Windows setup, scripts, and imaging applications. Enterprise Agreement (EA) and Software Assurance Membership (SAM) customers received WinPE in their October 2002 updates, and it will continue to be offered as a benefit of Software Assurance.

* Training: Bring employees up to speed quickly on new products and keep IT staff up-to-date on the latest technical information.

- eLearning - Microsoft's eLearning delivers a comprehensive student experience, using streaming audio and video software demonstrations, hands-on exercises and animations, and courses designed by professional instructors. Employees can take interactive modules and tutorials on various applications at any time at their own computer, even offline.

- Training Vouchers (Desktop software only) - With Software Assurance (SA), your organization can receive training vouchers for select courses from Microsoft Certified Technical Education Centers (CTECs), the premier authorized training channel for delivering learning products and services on Microsoft technology. Over 1,600 Microsoft CTECs worldwide offer Microsoft Official instructor-led and online, self-paced courses and consultative learning services to IT professionals and developers.

It a way where we can save money and keep legal, and save more money when the next version Windows Or Office Comes out. It sort of works out that I am saving about 10%-15% on the software (RETAIL VERSION, not OEM). You need to have a minium of 5 machines.

Every does ask me, why not go for the OEM software instead. NOT LIKELY with the number of times that MS comes into my office to do surprise checks. And with the way our office change hardware about every 3 to 6 months.

Hah, my school uses crappy pcs *cough Dells cough* and in the other 3 labs they use some old pcs. Never had a chance to look at them.

LOL. Some of the teachers here have Dell Laptops, which is good, right? So far, there are only two teachers I know that have decent comps. My last year's Geography teacher, and the computer maintenance teacher(for obvious reasons).

One thing that I would like to point out here.

MAKE SURE YOUR YOUR COMPUTER AT HOME IS MORE POWERFUL THAN YOUR WORK / SCHOOL COMPUTER!!!

There is not worse that knowing that your computer at work is better than the one at home. :(

I hate it when my boss upgrades my computer to some thing more powerful than what I have at home. :angry:

Thankfully this is not a problem...... for now. :cool:

Harper, if he does just steal the upgraded hardware parts. Then go home, upgrade your pc, and take your home parts and put them into the work pc.

Some kid one jacked a stick of RAM from one of the computers in the CAD lab........ instant explusion (since the teacher keeps security cameras everywhere).

And our school doesn't upgrade their POS PCs unless they get a grant from the district (which is almost once every 5 or so years). Last year we were living on 700 MHz P3s with TNT1's.

Martin said:
Some kid one jacked a stick of RAM from one of the computers in the CAD lab........ instant explusion (since the teacher keeps security cameras everywhere).

That nothing.
Some kid disided to knock off one of the BNC terminator from our computer labs. And here is our class (who had little sleep thank to our project management final assessment project.) wanting to print out our project management final assessment project.

The kid was luck he got exspelled before we got our hand on him. We were about ready to tear the guy apart.

And for what? A 50 cent BNC terminator.

DON'T F*** WITH THE COMPUTERS AT COLLAGE! If the teachers do get you first, the senor class will!

Well my school is mostly P2's 266mhz then there are a few P3's 800mhz with 512RAM. Then they have about 3 or 4 comps that are P4's 2.4ghz with 512RAM but there for Photomedia

Harper said:

MAKE SURE YOUR YOUR COMPUTER AT HOME IS MORE POWERFUL THAN YOUR WORK / SCHOOL COMPUTER!!!

There is not worse that knowing that your computer at work is better than the one at home. :(

Well, my comp is way slower but more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom