What is your Bucket list before you Die..

Would they find us and kill us? Maybe not on purpose but through some kinda virus, or maybe just for our resources, just as the conquistadors killed the natives in the America's?
Can't say I'd trust an alien....yet

At this stage, everything's so far away it's a bit of a moot point. If we detected a signal that was definitely not natural, it'd still be from somewhere lightyears away.
That said, with the Alcubierre Drive and other similar ideas, we may yet succeed at "crossing" that distance by kind of moving space around us instead of moving us through space.

I assume you mean intelligent life? I thought we already confirmed there were cellular organisms? Or was that just remnants / other environments possibly suitable to house cellular organisms?

Any life at all. If we'd discovered even the simplest organism outside of earth then (barring it being contamination from earth) it'd be absolute proof that life arises through natural means, i.e. no magical sky fairy necessary :p unless it's just another "test" like those silly fossils hehe

There's plenty of places we think *likely* to contain microscopic life, one of the closest being Enceladus (one of Saturn's moons). Cassini flew by not so long ago and confirmed it's geologically active with a giant ocean between the icy outer layer and rocky core. The vents at the bottom of that ocean are exactly the same as the kind we think started life here on earth, so it's our best bet yet for finding life outside earth. IIRC some type of mission is being planned to check for live via the jets of water being shot out...

edit: this one: NASA Mulling Life-Hunting Mission to Saturn Moon Enceladus

That said, with the Alcubierre Drive and other similar ideas, we may yet succeed at "crossing" that distance by kind of moving space around us instead of moving us through space.
Take it up to warp 9 Scotty!

Any life at all. If we'd discovered even the simplest organism outside of earth then (barring it being contamination from earth) it'd be absolute proof that life arises through natural means, i.e. no magical sky fairy necessary :p unless it's just another "test" like those silly fossils hehe

Always the potential possibility that sky fairy isn't "god" as people believe, but an alien that potentially planted, or guided our earlier evolution... Would not be surprising to me about the second part since we somewhat guide evolution on a small scale when it comes to dogs, cats, and other animals by taking two with the same genetic mutation and breeding them together...

cac28b9956031e7313bb4f9f87e6a400.png

Well abiogenesis =/= evolution, but yeah I get your point. That said, you have to ask yourself in that case, where did *they* come from? More aliens? :p it's a circular argument.

Back
Top Bottom