What are you listening to/watching now?

Yea, it's a bit ironic they'd bring in a drummer of that caliber to play drums of almost zero caliber. Mike Portnoy was a cool sit-in too, and he got to go pretty Portnoy-y, but yea, Arin could have brought in a 4-piece and would still probably have too much stuff. I agree with your opinion about the coated sound, and I think it would have been good to go with a solid set of clear hydraulic heads. I use those currently, and get a lot of nice res out of them while still retaining body from a combination of the 2-ply heads and the drum shells. I like coated when I started, but it wasn't long before I realized clear was a much better way to go.
I currently have hydraulics and IMO when recording they aren't that great for tone. Live? The best. Temp differences don't mess with them as bad as regular heads. I also kept set on for 8 years, half in storage and when I brought them back out tuned up like new. Bought new ones for live playing last year, and now that I'm not in that band I'm going to move to G2s for some home recording.

Wackerman uses fusion sizes, so putting coated heads on those make them sound like cardboard :( Otherwise, great drummer and I can't wait to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. Syn just made that song a shred fest lol.

I currently have hydraulics and IMO when recording they aren't that great for tone. Live? The best. Temp differences don't mess with them as bad as regular heads. I also kept set on for 8 years, half in storage and when I brought them back out tuned up like new. Bought new ones for live playing last year, and now that I'm not in that band I'm going to move to G2s for some home recording.

Wackerman uses fusion sizes, so putting coated heads on those make them sound like cardboard :( Otherwise, great drummer and I can't wait to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. Syn just made that song a shred fest lol.

Not bad! I've got Remo clear hydraulics on my toms, a Coated Ambassador on my snare, a Powerstroke Pro on my kick batter, and a custom Fiberskyn on my res side. Cymbals are all Sabian except the china, which is an Imperial. Pic related.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2
Mine are Evans. Got an ST Dry on my snare, Evans Genera Reso all around. Kick has Super Kick II and free floating reso (Aquarian both). Snare is a discontinued Artstar Custom maple, rest of the kit is a really old Rockstar set (9 ply mahogany?). Cymbals, 100% Sabian. Currently getting the cymbals I want replacing old ones with new ones. After that I'll work on replacing the ol beater kit. I've had this set since I was 16. I did have a PDP Birch 6 piece for a while but sold it.

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1
Mine are Evans. Got an ST Dry on my snare, Evans Genera Reso all around. Kick has Super Kick II and free floating reso (Aquarian both). Snare is a discontinued Artstar Custom maple, rest of the kit is a really old Rockstar set (9 ply mahogany?). Cymbals, 100% Sabian. Currently getting the cymbals I want replacing old ones with new ones. After that I'll work on replacing the ol beater kit. I've had this set since I was 16. I did have a PDP Birch 6 piece for a while but sold it.

Nice dude! My kit is a PDP, and I used to have a rack, which I liked, but it didn't last. I'm currently running fusion sizes myself, sans the 10" rack tom. I want to add a 16" floor for some good low end double-stops or rolls, but if I'm going that route, I'll likely just have a kit made new. I've got an SJC 7x14 as my main, and a vented OCDP 6.5x14 on remote. The snare on the floor in my previous picture is a Pearl I got on sale at GC. Here's a close-up of their badges:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1
Pretty neat that somebody else on her drums too. If I ever start actively playing again I plan to just get a DW Performer.

How did your rack not last? Mine has taken serious abuse for 10 years. Like, it's literally been tossed on trucks before.

Pretty neat that somebody else on her drums too. If I ever start actively playing again I plan to just get a DW Performer.

How did your rack not last? Mine has taken serious abuse for 10 years. Like, it's literally been tossed on trucks before.

Oh, haha, I didn't mean physically. It's a long and convoluted story, but I'll TL;DR by saying I had one, someone else wanted it, and I was led to believe I'd get a new one if I gave them the one I had. Ultimately, it was fine because I ended up joining a band that only required the 4-piece you see up there (I had a 12-piece at one time, lolol. That was some cumbersome sh*t).

Always nice to meet a fellow drummer! I hope you get your hands on a DW one day, they're some damn fine kits.

Oh, haha, I didn't mean physically. It's a long and convoluted story, but I'll TL;DR by saying I had one, someone else wanted it, and I was led to believe I'd get a new one if I gave them the one I had. Ultimately, it was fine because I ended up joining a band that only required the 4-piece you see up there (I had a 12-piece at one time, lolol. That was some cumbersome sh*t).

Always nice to meet a fellow drummer! I hope you get your hands on a DW one day, they're some damn fine kits.
The biggest I've pieced together was a 10 piece myself, unless you count electronic percussion instruments. I actually own a 3 piece rack, 3 bass drums, 6 rack toms, 4 floor toms, and a bunch of other stuff but I like to keep it to my own "pocket" kit. I also had 2 other full kits stolen in 2012 from my old house I was moving out of (including a lot of PA, guitar gear, full light setup, and a lot of electronics), which included my Axis A longboards, DW5000 HH stand, my precious Oriental Chinese (only non-Sabian I liked to use), Pearl free floating brass (full size, not the **** picolo they sell now). But I replaced my china with a 17" AA Holy China and OOOOMG I love that thing. I had a jam with some buds and we had to use ear plugs because I found every excuse to hit that thing lol. I've had my AAX Xplosion 18" since I was 15. Person close to me gave it to me and I even used it on solo ensemble band, at UIL even. That director let me use it for area competition because he thought it sounded so good :lol: (they were using an 18" ZBT for god knows why). Lots of memories with my kit for sure.

That one time a radio station rented my kit lol
set-bone-1.jpg

The biggest I've pieced together was a 10 piece myself, unless you count electronic percussion instruments. I actually own a 3 piece rack, 3 bass drums, 6 rack toms, 4 floor toms, and a bunch of other stuff but I like to keep it to my own "pocket" kit. I also had 2 other full kits stolen in 2012 from my old house I was moving out of (including a lot of PA, guitar gear, full light setup, and a lot of electronics), which included my Axis A longboards, DW5000 HH stand, my precious Oriental Chinese (only non-Sabian I liked to use), Pearl free floating brass (full size, not the **** picolo they sell now). But I replaced my china with a 17" AA Holy China and OOOOMG I love that thing. I had a jam with some buds and we had to use ear plugs because I found every excuse to hit that thing lol. I've had my AAX Xplosion 18" since I was 15. Person close to me gave it to me and I even used it on solo ensemble band, at UIL even. That director let me use it for area competition because he thought it sounded so good :lol: (they were using an 18" ZBT for god knows why). Lots of memories with my kit for sure.

That one time a radio station rented my kit lol

That's quite a history man! Always cool to get a backstory on another drummer. I use AAXplosions myself, and no matter how many times I break them, I haven't found any that both sound that good and last that long. Although, I may give Meinl a try, but some of that stuff is Paiste level expensive, and with cymbals, you reeeaaally get what you pay for. For about 4-5 years I had a Paragon 19" China, and I still haven't found a proper equivalent since I broke it. My ride is a 21" HH Raw Bell Dry, and if I could have a signature cymbal, that would be it. Both the stick definition and should ride wash are so well balanced, it makes the ride incredibly versatile.

Sorry to hear about your gear being jacked. That's a real heart breaker, man. I've heard my share of horror stories about that kind of thing, even had one of my own snares stolen and sold (I found the shop they sold it to, but couldn't afford to buy it back), but I can't imagine having as much as you had taken. I don't know if I would recover from that for a long time, if at all! As far as the rest of your gear though, it sounds like you've got a monster of a setup if you want one, and that picture is a great example! I bet that kit was fun to play.

That's quite a history man! Always cool to get a backstory on another drummer. I use AAXplosions myself, and no matter how many times I break them, I haven't found any that both sound that good and last that long. Although, I may give Meinl a try, but some of that stuff is Paiste level expensive, and with cymbals, you reeeaaally get what you pay for. For about 4-5 years I had a Paragon 19" China, and I still haven't found a proper equivalent since I broke it. My ride is a 21" HH Raw Bell Dry, and if I could have a signature cymbal, that would be it. Both the stick definition and should ride wash are so well balanced, it makes the ride incredibly versatile.

Sorry to hear about your gear being jacked. That's a real heart breaker, man. I've heard my share of horror stories about that kind of thing, even had one of my own snares stolen and sold (I found the shop they sold it to, but couldn't afford to buy it back), but I can't imagine having as much as you had taken. I don't know if I would recover from that for a long time, if at all! As far as the rest of your gear though, it sounds like you've got a monster of a setup if you want one, and that picture is a great example! I bet that kit was fun to play.
I have yet to break a cymbal. What are you using, 2Bs? Marching sticks? :p I looked at Meinl myself, but I'm pretty much a diehard Sabian guy for the time being. The next cymbal I replace will be my Xs20 ride with an HHX Dry Ride. Already got the AAX stage hats. I'm not too fond of Paiste either, but I did want to try their Rude setup.

I've had a lot stolen, but I got over it all pretty quickly. Musically I was spoiled early on because of my dad and uncle. At the age of 13 I had an 81 prototype flying V and full stack and in my 20s I still know guys using practice amps that play way better than I do. Had the privilege to meet several stars, lots of gear signed. I'd say the only thing that pissed me off the most was my dad's set being stolen since he's not around anymore. The rest probably would have been stuck in storage minus the pedals (I'm stucking using a DW2000 set I got on sale at cheat and steal). Speaking of snares, I had one I built that I used all through school. It was a clone of one of those cheap piccolo snares you get in the percussion set for kids. Each year I went to all state I'd sign my name and date on the head. Band director knowing it was my personal snare took it to the middle school and they destroyed it. :annoyed:

The bands that played at that show actually requested I take a lot off because they weren't used to such a huge set. Idk, I had fun doing sound check personally.

I like playing, but I don't play a whole lot anymore. What all do you like to play?

Back
Top Bottom