What are you listening to/watching now?

Finally caught up on Mr.Robot.
Wasn't too impressed with season 2, it got more interested towards the end however the ending was meh...
Next I think I'll need to catch up on the current season of Suits

Listening to the new A7X song again. This album is gonna be on point.

I got that video as a push notice from YouTube, which I thought was weird, but gave it a listen, and was not entirely disappointed. You watch a band grow over time, and it's almost melancholic to witness changes, or departures from sounds you're almost sure they'll never go back to. The loss of The Rev was a huge blow, but Arin Ilejay did a great job picking up the pieces (although they really embraced a Metallica sound over the course of his stint it seems), and now Brooks Wackerman (formerly of Bad Religion and Chad Wackerman's younger brother) is taking the throne, so they're definitely keeping talent in the lineup. The drums are nuts in the opening phrases of this song. You can tell Matt's vocals have aged, but not in such a way to diminish his contribution to the music. Overall, for me this was a surprising return to their earlier sound (Self-Titled era, based on this song) and perhaps the rest of the album will liken them to more of that.

I got that video as a push notice from YouTube, which I thought was weird, but gave it a listen, and was not entirely disappointed. You watch a band grow over time, and it's almost melancholic to witness changes, or departures from sounds you're almost sure they'll never go back to. The loss of The Rev was a huge blow, but Arin Ilejay did a great job picking up the pieces (although they really embraced a Metallica sound over the course of his stint it seems), and now Brooks Wackerman (formerly of Bad Religion and Chad Wackerman's younger brother) is taking the throne, so they're definitely keeping talent in the lineup. The drums are nuts in the opening phrases of this song. You can tell Matt's vocals have aged, but not in such a way to diminish his contribution to the music. Overall, for me this was a surprising return to their earlier sound (Self-Titled era, based on this song) and perhaps the rest of the album will liken them to more of that.
Man they did Arin so wrong. He's such a good drummer and wanted to be creative and they were basically like "nah, keep it Lars". Such a waste of talent. Hail to the King was basically their take on a cover album. Their stuff has increasingly become more mainstream over the years but this is a step in the right direction for their creativity which is good. This album basically sings the reasoning why I don't condone coated tom heads though :|

Man they did Arin so wrong. He's such a good drummer and wanted to be creative and they were basically like "nah, keep it Lars". Such a waste of talent. Hail to the King was basically their take on a cover album. Their stuff has increasingly become more mainstream over the years but this is a step in the right direction for their creativity which is good. This album basically sings the reasoning why I don't condone coated tom heads though :|

Yea, it's a bit ironic they'd bring in a drummer of that caliber to play drums of almost zero caliber. Mike Portnoy was a cool sit-in too, and he got to go pretty Portnoy-y, but yea, Arin could have brought in a 4-piece and would still probably have too much stuff. I agree with your opinion about the coated sound, and I think it would have been good to go with a solid set of clear hydraulic heads. I use those currently, and get a lot of nice res out of them while still retaining body from a combination of the 2-ply heads and the drum shells. I like coated when I started, but it wasn't long before I realized clear was a much better way to go.

Back
Top Bottom