What would you like to see here on Tech-Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about an online Lan every three months or something? Not necessarily just on PC either. I think it'd be cool to get a bunch of members together and play some games for a night every quarter or something. Most of us here play games anyway, and I think it'd be a good way to get it to be a closer community.

As far as the front page goes, I would like to see it updated daily with a dedicated news posting team that adds content from all over the internet 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

Definitely this. I don't necessarily think it needs to be done every day, that would be great but I know people have other things to do in there lives. It would be nice to just get updates from the site on new reviews and other info. I'm not a real active member here but I didn't even know that all of those reviews were there. I guess I just never scrolled down that far. Maybe it could be moved up more towards the top, so it's one of the first things people see when they come. After finding the section I read a few reviews and they were very good. More people need to see those.

Your last thing is pretty much related to my n00b posting thing. And the answer to that was this "We need those members, they are the ones allowing us to acquire product review samples. Don't mess with my perks"

If the n00bs actually read the things that are there for them to read before posting then they wouldnt need to sign up or post at all. Catch 22

Wrong, if we had more reviews and tutorials, more noobs would be attracted to the site by Google alone. And this is also true, I do it at every chance I get.
patonb said:
Ah, but if you write a tutorial, it'd be 100x faster and easier to then just link to the tutorial you wrote.

patonb said:
but I'm useless in the reviews and tutorials.

I think your selling yourself short, I've read some of your posts. You have plenty of knowledge and you explain yourself well enough. You just have to take the time, and focus, on a subject for 30 minutes to an hour (or more) each day until it's finished.

I can write well technically... I am an Engineer after all, but unlike you rich folk, I can't get multiple products, and due to my disability, testing out stuff is very difficult.

Though I will review my newest soon to be purchased x58 board.

I'll post some reviews on the mouse and case I bought once I have them. :)

I agree the rules are fine the way they are I see no issue with them at all. BUT I also agree that we need to have a more welcoming site that has the "first things first" attitude on the front page.

This is an exciting thread because we get to see brilliant ideas. NAO GIT OFF UR ARSES AND DO IT! :p I think everyone who buys an item should feel pretty obligated to tell us how it works. You wanted to share, so share! I'll have my first shot at a review on Thursday.

TF community game nights would be awesome!

I just got the latest installment of Mafia II DLC so I will post a review of that. Get more people active in building the site.

Well, it may sound kind of dumb coming from me, but lets say for an example if a member has been here for more than 2-3 years and is actually willing to help people on certain subjects such as hardware-software trouble shooting, windows trouble shooting, laptops or etc..
Why not use a certain a number of members who are willing to be assigned to specific a new member who has a problem that will take the time to figure out whats wrong and provide a solution until fixed ?
If it's one thing I know with people wether online or offline they want that constant support, respect even if it's not to serious, some of it is.
Thats why I like do what I am doing, why I am here, and trying to beat this crazy comptia exam.

We don't have to get any money or nothing like that it's a way of saying if you need with your hardware thread this certain member is available and might be able to assist, the member has to agree to is no flames and no harassment.

Well, it may sound kind of dumb coming from me, but lets say for an example if a member has been here for more than 2-3 years and is actually willing to help people on certain subjects such as hardware-software trouble shooting, windows trouble shooting, laptops or etc..
Why not use a certain a number of members who are willing to be assigned to specific a new member who has a problem that will take the time to figure out whats wrong and provide a solution until fixed ?
If it's one thing I know with people wether online or offline they want that constant support, respect even if it's not to serious, some of it is.
Thats why I like do what I am doing, why I am here, and trying to beat this crazy comptia exam.

We don't have to get any money or nothing like that it's a way of saying if you need with your hardware thread this certain member is available and might be able to assist, the member has to agree to is no flames and no harassment.

Could try an "emergency" contact list. Like the hours of when certain members are on, their most used IM service, email etc. or something based on who is on at the moment and is knowledgeable in the topic and how you can reach them?

I would also like if your online being able to mark a thread to notify you of new posts. Like when I ask for help I'm checking every 10 minutes when it'd be nice for the message system to let me know.

Fair enough. You're right, I can't see the numbers. However, I didn't say TF had a problem with SEO, I just said that an advantage could be gained. In regards to what you're saying, I think that's where the partnerships could really boost those links back to TF. I think a good multimedia section would probably suffice for most of the content people want to share.

Anyway, you guys asked...I'm just telling you my thoughts.
Yes an advantage could be gained. But everything you proposed is all about outgoing links, i wanted to show you the facts about how the numbers already favor outgoing links compared to incoming links. It is for such reasons that we have the rules in place that we do. Yes having a partnership with other sites will generate more incoming links, but it still wont even get close to balancing the outgoing links. We want the people to come here and stay here. Providing links to other sites where their content is hosted, is not having them stay here and be part of this community.
I agree with that too. When you go get techist.com you should be greeted with the forums.
There is a reason why it isnt on the root of the server. I cant say i agree with it but it simply comes down to the fact that our fearless owner has a grand plan in mind where the site will grow beyond the forums and having hte forums be the root of the site is not the ideal plan of action. The home page will be more like sites like Neowin where you can get news and other information and the forums will then be the next level. So there is a reason why it is located where it is on the server. Getting to that point, that is the challenge.

I think i understand, but then again i dont. If i understand correctly you want certain members to basically be sponsors for new members and assist them until a problem is solved or if it cant be solved involve a member who is more knowledgeable in the subject matter to answer the query.

Now let me ask this. Who is to say that this person is only going to ask a hardware question? What if after their hardware question is asked, they have a Windows question. So would that new member then be shifted from 1 sponsor to another cause the person they were originally assigned doesnt know the next level of support? how does that benefit the new member? How would we be able to keep track of which member has a sponsor and which members want to be part of this sponsor group? See how such a simple idea has so many levels that have to be thought of. Here is a catch 22. What if the person knows software really well. What if this person knows more about software than current sponsors in that area? How do we accomidate for that? Not to mention what do we do when an answer is needed as quickly as possible but the next person who is supposed to be a sponsor is not online at that time? Or what if they are unable to answer the question instantly like the new member would want?

There is so much to take into account when you want to go that route. As there would have to be some sort of way to test each member. So that would be extra work as well as we would have to write up tests for this and be able to evaluate each members level to know if they would be good as a sponsor. As you can see, that is just from a few minutes of thought. now trying to get it implemented would be months of work.

Could try an "emergency" contact list. Like the hours of when certain members are on, their most used IM service, email etc. or something based on who is on at the moment and is knowledgeable in the topic and how you can reach them?

I would also like if your online being able to mark a thread to notify you of new posts. Like when I ask for help I'm checking every 10 minutes when it'd be nice for the message system to let me know.

Your 2nd part is easily obtained. Click Go Advanced. Scroll down. Under Attachments there is a check box for Subscriptions. Check that box and you will be notified of all repiles.

The Emergency Contact List is kinda tough. Who is to say that the times dont vary? Like my times vary week to week cause my schedule changes every week. So we would have to update that list every day and get every member to submit the time when they would be available daily. A bit much to ask of anyone to keep us updated daily of what their schedule is and when they would be available for support. Cause there is no way i could live up to it. Having a child i know i can easily be called away from the PC jsut as fast as i got onto it. So that really wouldnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom