What would you do if you had a 2nd job like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ This is a good suggestion. May also want to plan for the eventuality of losing one or both jobs and see if your budget can hold true. Can you afford to live where you are for 6 months? 12 months? It's just something to consider.

You need to do this:

Sit down with a piece of paper, a pen, and a cup of coffee.

Plan out a budget if you didn't have the factory job.

Is the school job a steady 34 hours a week?

Can you live off of 34/week?

How much do you lose if you quit the factory?

If the awnser to any of those is no, then keep the factory job, and suck it up until the other one goes full time, then get out of it, because then there's no risk.

I know I can live off of the school job, because I haven't worked at my factory job since Thanksgiving. I've been doing just fine without the job. Only recently have they picked up more work which required me to work my weekends again, which as of lately my school job has been kicking my royal posterior so weekends off are really nice...

It's simply based on the fact that I'm in debt 60k after school, car loan, etc... I live at home and my parents are real chill with everything and actually would prefer I stay at home for another 2-3 years, even though I think I'll be out before then. I just need to get full time.

The fact is, if I don't get full time at my school job, I'll be looking elsewhere.
Regardless, I can survive on my current school job part time without the factory job. So if I have to job hunt while with this 1 job @ the school, I'll be financially stable.

It's just a crapper to think about what money I'd be missing out on. But when I consider what I go through for that money, it's suddenly laughable.

Yeah $60 a month is nothing....single insurance on your own would cost around $300 at the least.

I have no idea how I lucked out then, because I have my own stand-alone plan and I'm a single guy living at home. I do not have health insurance through my parents or my parents workplace or any work place I'm at.

I just know I pay 60 bucks a month...

I have no idea how I lucked out then, because I have my own stand-alone plan and I'm a single guy living at home. I do not have health insurance through my parents or my parents workplace or any work place I'm at.

That is crazy mine is 240 a month.

That is crazy mine is 240 a month.

Yeah, I just had a talk with the parental units.

I said, what kind of insurance do I have? Highmark. Why? Because it's cheap. (I had to laugh at that one)

I guess it's the norm here for people in my age/situation, because my parents were confused I had assumed anything different of it.

On another note - I called in to my weekend job. They want me this weekend. I heard the bells and machinery going off in the background. I cringed.

I think my factory days are over. 4 and a half years is enough...

It sucks when you live in the most wealthy country n the world and people regularly think about "what would happen if I lost my job".

****, I thought I had it (somewhat) made when I got my job, until they declared bankruptcy reorganization last month.

It's ridiculous to think that it's so difficult to get work. It's just that nobody can afford it. Nobody can afford to shop, which means the merchants aren't making enough money to pay their employees, which means the employees don't have the money to buy from the merchants. It's a vicious cycle.

It sucks when you live in the most wealthy country n the world and people regularly think about "what would happen if I lost my job".

****, I thought I had it (somewhat) made when I got my job, until they declared bankruptcy reorganization last month.

It's ridiculous to think that it's so difficult to get work. It's just that nobody can afford it. Nobody can afford to shop, which means the merchants aren't making enough money to pay their employees, which means the employees don't have the money to buy from the merchants. It's a vicious cycle.

Yeah... and thinking about this makes me feel like an *** when I consider quitting one of my TWO jobs when people out there are suffering for one.

But at the same token, I have one job that I like and it's going into a good direction... the other one is almost a nusance to be at in the first place, with the exception that I get a few bucks from it.

But, ah well... on one hand I'm freeing up a spot for someone who could use it? I guess that's a real F'd up way to look at it?

I do not have health insurance through my parents or my parents workplace or any work place I'm at.

Man, you seriously need to find out what Health Insurance Fairy is dropping by your place every month. It's coming from someplace. You need to find out.

I would quit that job Jayce. Then, enjoy the other time you have prior to going (hopefully) full time with the other one. The job market sucks yes, and thats EXACTLY why. Someone out there is trying to open a door to that factory and they may not be able to get it because you are there... sounds weird, gimmie a sec :) Some people really love that sort of thing. I worked in a construction-framing factory (Shelter Systems) for a day.. same sort of detailed atmosphere... I hated it. Clearly. Someone, though, may be out of work and trying to engage an opportunity at your position. You never know.

Your insurance is cheap, the other position sounds lucrative and perhaps may go full time. If you need another BS job in-between the time... apply for a position at a starbucks. (Full, yes full benefits to all part time employees with 20hrs/wk and over)

They haven't needed you in over 4 months... I'd let it go.
Trust me... certain things in life come up unexpectedly... I've had a few run-ins with some things lately and I'm glad that I took the time to experience my cases of the "****-It's". If you really dont need it, dont think about tomorrow... just dont think... do it. I would quit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom