what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the correct time to stop is 5 seconds. Then you slow roll back into the intersection jsut in case someone runs a red light or stop sign. This slow roll should take upwards of 3-4 seconds as you get to the middle of the intersection.

That is the state approved guidelines to a stop. This is in every defensive driving course. While you may be a good driver the tester had every right to fail you as these are the guidelines laid out.

Honestly i dont see the point of them. If the intersection is dead when you get there what is the point of waiting 5 seconds? There is no point but to waste 4 seconds. The slow roll i can understand at a major intersection or where other cars are involved as you dont know what they will do. Ultimately you may be the best driver in the world. Doesnt mean that some idiot wont ram you at 500MPH and kill you.;)

When taking a driving test, always overexagerate everything. Stop, count to 5, go. Go the speed limit, signal, etc etc.

Oh yeah.... The other thing is this. If you see a yellow light at a intersection. Even if you have the time to go through, just come to a complete stop. You time waiting at a set of traffic light is let time that you have to spend being a careful driver.

Try avoid getting times just after 3pm (or when ever school break off for the day). There is just a lot more traffic (both car and people).

If it's raining on your exam date, it's not the end of the world. In fact this is a good thing as this means that you will need to drive just that little bit slower. And if you have that exam in the afternoon, this means that they might be running late, therefore instead of spending the full 1/2 hour, it might only be 20 minutes instead.

Before taking the exam, trying to take some executive stress pills.

In the weeks before taking the exam, pay for some professional driving lessions. The problem with your friends and family teaching you how to drive is that they will teach you thier bad road habbits. And they might not even be aware of this. If you get some proffessional driving lessions, the teacher will tell you exactly what you are doing wrong.
With this teacher, get him to take you around the route or the area where you are going to be taking your test. Especially around about the same hour of day that you are going to be taking it. This is so you can familarise yourself with the roads and the traffic conditions.
In the last few lessions, you might want to tell your teacher to put you under "test conditions" for the lession.
And take a lession just before the exam. And try doing it in the same area where you will be taking the exam.

Rent out your driving teacher's car for the exam. For some reason, examinors seem to go a little bit more easier on you if you have your teacher's car, and not your own.

Also, and this happened to me, if your instructor tells you that you need more practice and your exam is next week, then it's best that you postphone your exam. It's not the best feeling having to do this, but it's beats the alternitive where you need to resit the exam.

Honestly i dont see the point of them. If the intersection is dead when you get there what is the point of waiting 5 seconds? There is no point but to waste 4 seconds.
5 seconds starts getting a little excessive. Down here, the target time is 3 seconds. Driving instructors can fail you if they feel that you are "TOO CAREFUL" on the road.
Now, before you all say "WTF Harper!?!?", the when you are learning how to drive, it's not just your ability to drive, but if your ability to maintain the flow of traffic.
And if you are holding up that flow of traffic for no reason, then they will fail you.

It can depend on who your instructor is too. The chick I took mine with was actually kinda hot. :)

Keep your eyes on the road and not the instuctor. And double that if it's the examinor.

5 seconds is excessive, but that's what you should do to be safe

always exaggerate everything - you're only doing it for the test

over here in california, people just do the 'california roll' where you slow down to about 5m/h at stop signs and turn, so the instructors don't really emphasize that much on stop signs =P

@Harper while i fully agree with your statement on the flow of traffic you also should not "go with the flow" if they are the ones breaking the laws. Like speeding. If you are in a 35MPH Zone and everyone is doig 50 that doesnt mean you should do 50 as well. So it is a tough situation to know exactly the right thing to do.

I only stated the 5 second rule because that is what they teach in the defensive driving courses. Even 3 seconds is a lot here in NY. It is more like you glide thru the signs and that here. If you are lucky to have that person even look in your direction.

I was just trying to help explain it a bit with the DMV's view on the situation. **** my first time i was failed cause i was at a blind corner and a perosn went thru the red light and almost killed us. I had stopped in time but the instructor said that it was considered a accident and i was failed. But he thanked me for being so alert and not getting us killed. Go figure...:p

Actually the correct time to stop is 5 seconds. Then you slow roll back into the intersection jsut in case someone runs a red light or stop sign. This slow roll should take upwards of 3-4 seconds as you get to the middle of the intersection.

That is the state approved guidelines to a stop. This is in every defensive driving course. While you may be a good driver the tester had every right to fail you as these are the guidelines laid out.

Honestly i dont see the point of them. If the intersection is dead when you get there what is the point of waiting 5 seconds? There is no point but to waste 4 seconds.

That is exactly my point. No cars where coming. I was going right out of the parking lot after parallel parking in the parking lot. I just got to the stop sign and he told me to go back where I started and then he told me I failed.

That was a load of BS if you ask me. Who in their right mind would fail somebody when they are just leaving the parking lot at a stop sign when nobody is coming? Its not like I ran the stop sign like everybody else in that part of PA. When I went down in that part I saw atleast 5 cars run stop signs and on my way back I saw atleast 3 cars run stop signs. If you ask me that is just a bunch of BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom