What is the roll of a teacher? (programming class)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
This is some what of a rant. I'm getting a little frustrated with one of my programming classes instructor. Let me give you some details.

I have zero programming experience. Before I signed up for these "Intro" classes I asked both teacher if these classes are for people with zero experience. They both said I would be fine. (Java and C#).

For the first 5 assignments or so it was some what straight forward. Read this chapter and that chapter and do the assignment. The assignment always used info you read in those chapters and previous chapters. It was a struggle for me but I eventually figured it out. 100% on all assignments so far (very simple stuff).

I of course had questions every single time for both classes for each assignment. In the Java class the teacher ALWAYS would answer my question or give me code snippets to help me out. It did help me and I was able to understand better.

In my C# class my teacher never gives me snippets of code and he never really answers my questions. His idea of thinking is I need to research it or figure it out through "Logic". His words: "as a programmer this is things you will have to do, think it through and write it out in code"

Well I am not a programmer, I am a student trying to learn. I am very frustrated with my C# teacher. I'm sorry but if I have zero programming experience then I am not going to know how to code something if I haven't read about it in the chapters. Here is where the problem started.

He gave us a program assignment we build from the ground up. No starting code or even pseudocode to start with. The program also used certain things on a form and statements that I have not one clue about, never was it a reading assignment and he just wants us to work it out. If I ask a question his answer is so vague it's almost like he didn't answer my question.

I need to tell you this is a online class and there is no live classroom interaction. As a beginner this makes it harder I think. It's basically me reading a book, doing the assignment and asking a ton of questions on google.

So my question is this. What is the roll of a teacher in a programming class? Where is the line drawn between helping me and doing my work? He always states he won't do my work for me and I don't want him to but I think he can help more then he is.

I'm about ready to drop the C# class only because my teacher doesn't seem like he can teach what he knows. He always says "don't get frustrated with me or the class" just keep at it. It's almost like he runs into this problem a lot with other students based upon that comment that he makes over and over.

I am not sure. The languages are very similar just different libraries.

I really don't want to bother the Java teacher with C# stuff though

I found dreamincode.com when I was taking Java. Some on there have the same attitude as your instructor, but some will honestly try to help you understand. No one will do your work for you so don't ask or even insinuate in that direction. But if you ask open and honest questions you will usually get some decent answers.

Oh, and they have some good tutorials and articles to check out, too.

That site has been my go to here lately actually. I always go on there with questions. I always post up my code too so it doesn't seem like I want people to do my work. Honestly, I don't want them to do that. I understand why they don't want to do that. I won't learn anything if they do it for me. However there is some things that I need a little snippet on in order to get moving in the right direction.

My biggest problem with going to a site and asking my questions is....this sounds stupid...but sometimes I don't know how to phrase my question or I don't know what to ask because I don't know the correct term. I see other people posting on there that claim they are beginners as well but when they ask a question they seem like the know so much more then I do. I've only done this for 3 weeks now but that makes me feel pretty bummed out when I can't even ask a question because I don't know how to phrase it with out sounding like a complete idiot.

You teachers kinda right, Most of programming is about the Logic, and how things flow, thats the important part.

When i did programming classes, I'd write psuedo code.. After that you just fill in the code.

For those that have programming background were you writing programs from the ground up in your first class ever after only a month of teaching? Specifically programs that used things you haven't learned about yet?

That is what I don't get. Why should I be asked to write a program that uses things I haven't read about yet?

That is like me telling someone that wants to learn to be a mechanic to rebuild a transmission after he learned how to change the oil in a car....

My computer science teacher rarely helps with the code.

He tells me me my problem isn't with the code, but with the logic in solving the problem. Over the past few months i have figured out he's is actually correct.

Your teacher is showing you how to be an independent programmer and better your problem solving skills. Once you have figured out the logic the teacher can tell you the code on how to do it in just a few minutes, but there is little point in that if you dont understand what the code does and how it works yourself.

I am currently trying to make a Snakes game in Visual Basic, just figured out how to get collision of the black dots with the snake to work properly, aswell as border detection, movement etc. Now i need to code how to make the snake bigger, but my teacher ain't telling me anything until i get my concept right in pseudo code, then he will show me the actual code.

ask around on here too...I'm taking a java class right now and kmote is always on top of answering my questions when I need help :D

but yea, I think it's that it's an online class. College is basically just lecture and then hands on stuff. So if you're taking online you're not getting the lecture part...you're just getting the " read the book " thing, which isn't a good substitute.

Maybe look into taking an on-campus class in the future to get a better hold on it. And don't be afraid to ask for snippets of code. You'll find out later a lot of it's just copying/pasting and importing stuff (which is just like copying whole files over :| ) so don't feel like you're "cheating" by doing it...but on the other hand don't ask for them to do it (I know, you already said you don't do that...just saying lol)

EDIT: Yea..the logic stuff needs to sink in. That's exactly why there is so much math involved with programming. It's not because you need math...it's because it "provokes logical thinking and problem solving skills". More often than not I end up trying to re-invent the wheel for every lab I do...then after I get a headache I finally realize there is a much simply way to go about it lol. I'll agree with oreo on the part that they want you to be more independent... but that teaching method isn't exactly grade A stuff :| I'd be ranting too if I was you. (and the independent thing is bs because almost all software engineers work in teams)

EDIT2: what exactly do you mean by the ground up? What kind of stuff have you learned so far..and what are they expecting you to do? (answers those and I can compare with my java class so far)

Yeh programmer work in teams, but you cant constantly be asking the guy next to you on every logic problem you get stuck on LOL. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom