at what point do you conclude a job offer isn't worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I have an opportunity to apply at a different place of work. It's still at a school district but it has some perks, such as a 7k year increase and a faster pace of linux adoption than what we're currently doing. Same benefits, distance from work, etc. what's holding me back is knowing how secure my current job is, and the fact I'm deeply rooted in what linux systems we currently have. The education system right now is in bad shape, so knowing I have a good solid job is making it hard to consider other avenues. Theres opportunity both scenarios, but I hate to let something get in front of a good thing I have going on at work at the moment. But I always should keep my eye open, right? I'm just wondering if what perks there are are worthy of following up on, despite not being positive how stable this position is.... Thoughts?

You post title says "job offer" but your post text talks of "opportunity to apply". Those are two very different scenarios in my mind. Do you have a firm job offer? If you have a firm job offer then you need to take the time to evaluate the offer to see if it's the right decision. With an "opportunity to apply" you don't need to make a decision unless it results in an offer.

If you actually have an offer then you need to decide if an extra $7K is enough to compensate for the perceived loss of job security. Maybe break that $7K down, it's around $600/month or $150/week. After taxes even less. Will that amount of money significantly change your life to the point that it will make the new job worthwhile?

It is generally considered poor strategy to challenge your current employer by threatening to leave unless you get what you want. It's usually good for the short term but not for the long term.

I didn't say threaten to leave. To clarify, all I meant is that he should approach his bosses and ask for a raise (or whatever it is about the other position that is attracting him), don't mention leaving, don't mention looking for another job and certainly don't mention a specific job that you have been looking at.

Having explored that avenue, he will be in a better to judge his strategy.

ugh, leaving a job you like is pretty hard man, especially when there is a pay increase.

if you've been offered the new job, go to you're current employer, tell them you're putting in your two week notice....please give at least a 2 weeks notice, it's professional and things are "legal" (at least "legal" here in canada). It's a 7K pay increase which mean you get what....5K more a year Net? That is a nice amount. Reading your threads and posts i know you know what you're talking about and this new job will have "security" in no time.

now, your current employers will do 1 of 2 things. 1. attempt to match (and don't you tell them what you're being offered!!!!). If they can match it or come within' reasonable (and it's your decision for the reasonable amount) then stay with the current employer (unless the new emplyer can offer advacement!) If you turn down the NEW employer, apologize for the time wasted, etc,
2. you're current emplyer will lay the guilt trip and not offer anything or very little. call their bluf and leave (2 week thing). they are bluffing or playing hard to get. either way..leave. no reason to get into a "game". once again reading on here you know your *insert alternative word for poop*

dude...it's 7K inrease, same distance and with your knowledge you'll have security in no time.

but please remeber i'm text on the Internet.

I didn't say threaten to leave. To clarify, all I meant is that he should approach his bosses and ask for a raise (or whatever it is about the other position that is attracting him), don't mention leaving, don't mention looking for another job and certainly don't mention a specific job that you have been looking at.

Having explored that avenue, he will be in a better to judge his strategy.
I understood what you meant but wanted to caution Jayce not to do it by threatening to leave. I read that most people who get a raise or promotion by threatening to leave end up leaving the company within a year anyway.

I did kind of mess up when I first typed this. It's not a job offer. Just an opening nearby that I might have a solid chance at due to my Linux background. In this area (seriously, you should see where I live) you'd be hard pressed to find any Linux users that this position is looking for. It's just a blah situation because I could use every dollar right now since I am looking to get a house. I just have a good project going on now and I hate to derail that.

I know there's little a zero chance of me getting anything more right now, as I recently just got a 4k/year raise a matter of 3 weeks ago.

It's tough when you like what you do but you still feel like you're struggling to keep the head above water. I'm just not sure if the benefits of this position warrants switching (assuming I get it). That's what I keep going back and forth on.

Why not challenge your current employer? Ask them to give you the benefits that you would be getting if you went elsewhere.
My mom works in a school district and did exactly this and got the position she wanted. It was more like "If you don't do this, I have another, better, job opportunity elsewhere...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom