What makes you a TRUE COMPUTER GEEK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helix2301

In Runtime
There was an column up a few weeks ago on a web site about what characteristics/traits/gages/habits/exc make a person a true computer geek just wanted to see what your thoughts were?

I haven't read it. But I think computer geekery varies from person to person.

True geekery is when your professional life includes either some form of engineering or computer science and your hobby life consists of knowing many different types of programming scripts fluently and you know a lot about computer-related history, as well as being able to keep up with current technology and the market.

I consider myself only partially a geek and only because I really know just a little bit more than any average joe on the street. But being able to build and overclock your own PC doesn't make you a full blown geek as the learning curve for that is not that steep at all. The only thing I've ever done close to programming was ActionScript.

I took a test a while back online and it gave me a score of 48%. Some stuff in there just completely went over my head.

I don't think many here are geeks...and I mean that in respectful ways to the "geek" :D

we can love pcs, love to tinker and build, know how to edit this and that file...
I got down and dirty about "building" my own windows installs, stumbled upon and understood information faux "experts" have no clue about.

A computer geek, loves it all and understands much without really claiming to be a genius at it or a "know it all". Always seeking to know more and to question the validity of what is supposedly known.

I think there is a base level computer "geek" and a true computer "geek". The latter I would believe has to have a computer science degree :D. I had a friend who was a true computer "geek".

I don't consider myself a PC geek...just have a high level of understanding on the technical and physical side of PC's. Not so much programming etc.

to normal people I'm a geek because my level of computer knowledge surpasses theirs by a long shot and I work at a tech shop so that makes me partly geek. But in the grand scheme of things, I'm not a geek really because I don't like write programs and know the ins and outs of everything there is to do with computers. So I'm an entry level geek.

Working for the geek squad makes you a poor college kid looking for some cash. No offense to anyone (I work at a computer repair sop myself) but the majority of the geek squad "agents" aren't so bright on computer stuff.

Working for the geek squad makes you a poor college kid looking for some cash. No offense to anyone (I work at a computer repair sop myself) but the majority of the geek squad "agents" aren't so bright on computer stuff.

My point exactly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom