What kind of car does everyone drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you might gain a 5hp difference depending on the type of exhaust. Having the right headers though can make all of the difference in overall hp, and since you live in CA, don't be dumb and remove your cats, get high-flow cats. (Many of the freeways here in southern ca now have emissions sensors on the on ramps, like the red light cameras that will automatically send you a ticket if you are running catless. It happened to my next door neighbor.)

That's completely dependent upon the application with how much horesepower you gain from an aftermarket exhuast system. The less restricting the factory exhaust, the less of a performance increase you'll see in an aftermarket one.

Also, it's a pretty bad idea for any smaller cube engine to run an open exhaust system. If you did run a bigger down pipe, bigger exhaust pipes, and less restricting muffler, chances are it's going to effect the exhaust stoke because of the loss in back preasure.

You'd be much better off running a high flow cat. I'm guessing your car would have a single cat since it's a 4 cyl, unless it has multiple cat converters on the exhaust pipe which it might.

Anyone else stop and laugh when they see fartcans and dual exhausts on 4 bangers that look like they just made it out of a destruction derby? Hi-flow cats are good in theory, but they also will most likely fail emissions after a year or so.

Is it wrong that i spent 1500 bucks rebuilding my rig and 1100 of it was from an insurance check that was supposed to repair the busted hood and grill from the idiot snowplow driver that hit me last winter?

So in your opinion, would I benefit from an exhaust upgrade (cat-back), no headers though? My car is stock. I don't think it makes a difference besides making noise.

I'm guessing you drive a Toyota Corolla?

The stock exhaust manifold that comes on those flow well as is. You'd be much better off putting that money into something else.

And you'd be buying an aftermarket header, no headerS. It's a 4 cylinder, not a V shaped engine, it has all 4 exhaust ports on one side.

All this forced induction and "mod" talk is making me sick.

Forced induction is for wannabe gear heads that don't know how to build an engine.

If you step into the force induction world, and you're not building it for drag-racing, you're much better off just building a high performance motor.

If you're going to run a turbo charger on a street application, you have to take into consideration how much boost you want to run, how large your valves are, how much CFM your head can flow, your rocker arms, pretty much your whole entire top end.

Also, what type of pistons you need to run for the added compression from the turbo, your compression ratio has to be lower to compinsate for the added boost, meaning you're going to have a better chance for detonation when you're not using as much boost (at lower RPM's).

Then you have to figure out how much fuel you're going to need pumped in there with all that extra air.

And with all of that extra air and fuel you're going to want to take advantage of it by running a bigger bore, so then you can add in the coast of possibly getting a new block, or spending a ton at your local machine shop.

And I'm sure I left out more.

All in all, it's going to cost alot more to set up an engine that wasn't designed for forced induction to run it.

not really.

you dont necessarly have to do all that.

i mean if you are building a NA engine, you are going to do the headwork, and the machine work on the block anyway.

turbos are the most efficient way of making power regardless of how the engine is setup.

Anyone else stop and laugh when they see fartcans and dual exhausts on 4 bangers that look like they just made it out of a destruction derby? Hi-flow cats are good in theory, but they also will most likely fail emissions after a year or so.

depends. i had a 450whp civic before i bought my cobra. it was enough to run me into the 10.90s@131mph on 24.5" slicks.

now i have this slow piece of crap that only attracts the ladies. lol

450hp fwd car is pretty pointless unless its a track only car with slicks like yours. Heck my car has 180hp stock and its hard to get a solid launch without smoking the tires. I miss having a rwd car to play with.

450hp fwd car is pretty pointless unless its a track only car with slicks like yours. Heck my car has 180hp stock and its hard to get a solid launch without smoking the tires. I miss having a rwd car to play with.

haha it was my daily driver for a while. lets just say, it was a burnout machine with street tires. i ran BFG drag radials usually.

Oh get this. A coworker of mine has the newest Evo (Evo 10, I guess), the one with the new body and motor. 300 stock HP. He fixed it up including methanol injection that pumps out a certain amount of mixture when the turbo hits 10psi and higher. He completely redid the downpipe and exhaust system. No cats at all, tweaked computer management system, intake, injectors, cams, etc. etc. etc. Well, he spend over 10 grand on mods alone so far. He lost count how much he spent but it was a lot. After all mods, Evo dynoed 384 HP to the wheels!!!! Incredible, yes?

Here's the interesting part. He was at the track and there was a guy in a new Corvette. It had a stock V8 with intake and exhaust. That's it. My friend gave him 5 car lengths head start, then he went after the Corvette in his Evo. He caught up to him in 3rd gear and the rest was history. Corvette got SMOKED by a 4cyl Evo. That guy was ****ed, needless to say.

the new EVO isn't out yet...production was scheduled to start in FALL 2007...but even the old evos were rated close to 300hp/300tq at the crank

the Lancers are out with the new body...but the EVO itself is still in production

its all about power vs weight ratio...

p.s. horsepower is how fast you can hit a wall...torque is how much of that wall you can take down with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom