Fuel Pump(s)
FPR
Downpipe
Bigger exhaust
Clutch
Standalone or Piggyback
etc

the most important thing is TUNING.

All of those were done, except I didn't include them because they are more minor upgrades. The exhaust system that I have on the STi is only 1/2 bigger than stock exhaust.

side note: People running 4" exhaust on V6's or lower are dumb because they are actually loosing power because there is not enough back pressure.

So in your opinion, would I benefit from an exhaust upgrade (cat-back), no headers though? My car is stock. I don't think it makes a difference besides making noise.

you might gain a 5hp difference depending on the type of exhaust. Having the right headers though can make all of the difference in overall hp, and since you live in CA, don't be dumb and remove your cats, get high-flow cats. (Many of the freeways here in southern ca now have emissions sensors on the on ramps, like the red light cameras that will automatically send you a ticket if you are running catless. It happened to my next door neighbor.)

So in your opinion, would I benefit from an exhaust upgrade (cat-back), no headers though? My car is stock. I don't think it makes a difference besides making noise.

If you are going to do an exhaust system its best to get the WHOLE thing

for you, make sure its CARB legal.

Hmmm, it's going to be hard to find some CARB approved header. DC Sports have one, but it's pending, lol.

Even when these parts are pending, do you thing getting full exhaust done will still pass the emissions test (should everything be CARB approved)?

All this forced induction and "mod" talk is making me sick.

Forced induction is for wannabe gear heads that don't know how to build an engine.

If you step into the force induction world, and you're not building it for drag-racing, you're much better off just building a high performance motor.

If you're going to run a turbo charger on a street application, you have to take into consideration how much boost you want to run, how large your valves are, how much CFM your head can flow, your rocker arms, pretty much your whole entire top end.

Also, what type of pistons you need to run for the added compression from the turbo, your compression ratio has to be lower to compinsate for the added boost, meaning you're going to have a better chance for detonation when you're not using as much boost (at lower RPM's).

Then you have to figure out how much fuel you're going to need pumped in there with all that extra air.

And with all of that extra air and fuel you're going to want to take advantage of it by running a bigger bore, so then you can add in the coast of possibly getting a new block, or spending a ton at your local machine shop.

And I'm sure I left out more.

All in all, it's going to cost alot more to set up an engine that wasn't designed for forced induction to run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom