What gets banned exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJ-CHRIS said:
Yeah

For Toronto / Hamilton it's 69.157.XXX.XXX most of the time, you can change the third set of digits. However he was in the same subnet.

how did you know that user's ip address?

Chankama said:
If this is your question, this answer

is wrong.

The question you answered was "what is the probability that a given person is within a given subnet - if completely random?"

To answer your original question, you need to know how many people are on the "network". Assuming a 16-bit network address, 8-bit subnet, and 8-bit host address:

If there are more than 256 people on the same network, which is clearly the case on a University for example, then some of them "will" have to share the same subnet. Easy to see right?..

Of course you can do a involved calculation if needed be. But why bother.. Most networks have over 256 users in them. Then it is guaranteed (probability 1) than some of them will share the same subnet.

No, I meant that what are the chances of a person within that subnet were to stumble across TF and be under the ban that regards to that subnet.

Depends on how many people are on TF first of all - and how many people gets banned. If everyone comes to TF and a lot of people gets banned, the probability is pretty high. If hardly anyone comes here and few people get banned then it'll be low. Without more concrete numbers, it is not possible to solve this problem.

i bet no on in here has an IP address close to mine

yay! i gave away my IP address!

like anyone's gonna do anything to it -_-

and even if they do i'll just get a new one :p

Good luck getting a new one. Last time I wanted a new one, they gave me BS that the whole IP assignment protocol was automated.

I have a static IP, and my ISP is RoadRunner

diabloII said:
how did you know that user's ip address?

Trying to troubleshoot a little net problem, and did a little tracert

Noticed that their was 2 hops, to the CO and to him, so were on the same CO and subnet.

Anyways, we can get quite a few IP adresses, 255 * 3 usually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom