What excites you most about the future?

kmanmx

Golden Master
As a complete future optimist I am interested what other people think about this, what horizon technology are you most excited for?. I am not talking crazy fantasy stuff like fast than speed of light transport or whatever. But things that are tractable, and possible within the realm of physics as we know them within the 20 to 100 year time frame.

For me it is a bunch of things:

1) Perfect self driving cars. For obvious reasons. I think people would live much more interesting and varied lives. Imagine if you get home on Friday, then jump in your car when it's time for bed and tell it to drive you somewhere that is 10 hours away. You wake up at your location. It makes seeing distant friends and relatives a breeze that would scarcely even require much thought or effort.

2) AI. Gotta love some advanced AI. I want AI in everything. My bed, my toilet, and obviously my smartphone, and everything in between. I want to sit on the toilet, and it tell me I am a fat bastard and that my **** has traces of cancerous cells in it so I should probably head to the doctor.

3) Ability to regulate your body. Imagine if they could implant a little chip in your body that you control via your smartphone. It analyses everything you eat, tells you what your body needs, and what it doesn't. If you eat something it doesn't need, it simply somehow stops your body from properly digesting it. If you want to maintain X weight, you'll only ever digest the required X amount of calories no matter what you eat. Bacon double cheeseburger and pizza every day guys.

I'm afraid we're killing ourselves and our planet with our throw-away culture fueled by greed. Even though our technology has found thousands of other potentially habitable planets out there; there is no hint that we will find anyone who can save us from ourselves.

AI and printable organs.

AI will definitely happen, it is just a matter of how good it gets... and i'm confident you'll be able to buy better-than-natural replacement organs within this century. I legit wouldn't be surprised if you can go on Amazon and order the Samsung Heart X1000 - "Now up to 350BPM for those easy sub 2 minute mile runs" :p

I hope I am around when the day comes where heart failure isn't much more of an inconvenience than your computer PSU dieing. "Oh ffs I gotta get another heart AGAIN" :p

I'm afraid we're killing ourselves and our planet with our throw-away culture fueled by greed. Even though our technology has found thousands of other potentially habitable planets out there; there is no hint that we will find anyone who can save us from ourselves.

Greed makes the world go round. We live in a culture where we wants lots of everything, and we want it now, and we want it to be better than it was the day before. It sucks that we damage the environment, animals and ourselves doing this, but at the same time it pushes science and tech forwards faster than anything else. If you think of it at a future scale, a universe scale, everything is practically infinite. It's not really that greedy to destroy the world, if there are hundreds of millions of planets to otherwise occupy ;)

Last edited:
AI will definitely happen, it is just a matter of how good it gets... and i'm confident you'll be able to buy better-than-natural replacement organs within this century. I legit wouldn't be surprised if you can go on Amazon and order the Samsung Heart X1000 - "Now up to 350BPM for those easy sub 2 minute mile runs" :p

I hope I am around when the day comes where heart failure isn't much more of an inconvenience than a common cold.
Well we're already printing organs, I just want to see the testing finalized in humans. Also hoping it doesn't become a damn cest like cancer has been for big pharma. With how fast things are moving I see it happening within the new few decades.

I want teleporters.
I hate spending so much time in airports.

Full Immersion VR. Sword Art Online type thing, without the whole "getting trapped" part. Although, if it's immersive enough, I may not know or even care.

Back
Top Bottom