What do you normall charge someone to fix their computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I normally just do it for free since I'm not certified and have limited knowledge and I just do it for family and friends. But someone said they would pay me to fix their computer so what would be a fair rate. Just a general ball park figure on stuff like cleaning up windows, re-installing windows, or changeing out hardware.

Reinstallation of windows with NO updates or software installs are about 80.00

Reinstallation of OS/Software packages/updates/spyware clients = 120.00

Spyware removal : anywhere from 60.00 - 250.00

Hardware troubleshooting and replacement - Anywhere from 80.00 - 150.00 including parts.

lol geek squad charged me 160.00 just to reinstall drivers. this was before i new about computers.

agreed. I use a different pricing system. I make the customer pay for the parts, and then depending on the job, I try to give an estimate based on an hourly rate. Install a network card, drivers, and connect (not setup internet connection) generally $40 + cost of card.

Removal of spyware/malware - this I charge out the wazoo for, $60 to start, base. and then my hourly rate.

House calls, $40 base + parts + hourly rate.

Spec out computers, free, build computers(no OS), cost of hardware, + hourly rate. Deliver for free.

Install software, < 1 hour I charge for one hour, > 1 hour, I round up to the nearest hour and charge according to hourly rate.

brady said:
Reinstallation of windows with NO updates or software installs are about 80.00

Reinstallation of OS/Software packages/updates/spyware clients = 120.00

Spyware removal : anywhere from 60.00 - 250.00

Hardware troubleshooting and replacement - Anywhere from 80.00 - 150.00 including parts.

You charge alot of money :p

I can't possibly comprehend why anyone would pay $120 for Windows XP and then pay ANOTHER $120 for installation! Stick the CD in and follow the on-scree instructions! How hard is that?!

Most people have limited knowledge of computers and are extremely intimidated by installing something like an OS. To the typical user it's like performing open heart surgery. The biggest fear they have is that if they mess up one little thing it will totally wreck their computer and they are more than willing to pay for some one with a lot more knowledge than them to do the work instead. Like at my work we charge $120 to install Windows and we handle several of these per week. Occasionally it's an upgrade, more often than not it's to rid the computer of viruses/spyware the easy way.
But that $120 is nothing compared to most shops that charge by the hour. For a place like that they could easily decide that a windows xp install is a 3-5 hour job (including updates, drivers, etc.) and at $80+ an hour it really starts to add up.

I enjoy doing it for free, but I guess if I were to make a job out of it I would charge parts & labour (per hour, min 1 hr) + callout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom