What to do with spare LEDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So.. I bought some LEDs on ebay.. .but they may not work for what I want... the seller assured me they would - before I bought - but then after I bought said "But they may not function as you wanted"

It was a buy it now, so I can't cancel it... so I may hve 60 LEDs and nothing to do with them...

In case this is the case... what can you guys think of to use them?

I got like 97 White LEDs as well that I really don't know what to do with, I needed a few for a flashlight and stuff and a 100 pack was like $3 with resistors... so I figured why not... instead of $2 for 10 and no resistors.. .lolz. (and $3 was free shipping, so it was a huge deal, SUPER bright whites too)

The 60 I got are a UV purple.. I was told they would illuminate blacklight posters and such so I wanted them (pretty much why I wanted them, to do that, and illuminate things like quinine/radiator fluid) but if they don't.. well I'll have me some purdy purples to do something with... just can't think of WHAT.... lol.. hince why I posted here..

Give some ideas if you can of what to use 60 LED on.... or more.. hey I can buy more to do something real sweet. Or just use 1 LED.. any use would be a bonus... maybe I can make 60 "things" with 1 LED each that are neat.. but you get the idea.

No Controller Moddding Please... or Xbox/console modding please - Nothing I'd have to crack a case or break a warranty or something for. (and consequently possibly get banned from Xlive or something)

when i was looking up car mods, i found an idea to mount leds in the bottom of cup holders. Thus making the cups glow. I never followed through with it though.

also how about a scrolling marquee screen? or a clock?

I kinda got an idea watchin some scrolling marquee things...

But I have no idea how to do it.

Situation:
I don't have a cellphone, and a friend lives in a locked door community (big metal blast door type thing thats always locked and I don't have a key) Instead of trying to plan coming over when they are ready to let me in, I wanna make a Remote controlled sensor to turn on LEDs in a pattern (Like "I am here" or "Open the door") like with a garage door opener and opening garage doors, but just with turning on/off LEDs. Anyone have any idea how I can get this started?

Check out the Hacked Gadgets forum:
Hacked Gadgets - DIY Tech Blog

They do this kind of stuff all the time, and this is where I got the idea/help to do my Mouse flashlight (I made an old computer mouse into an LED flashlight...its pretty nice because it still looks like a mouse on the outside (its an old ball mouse), just the guts are stripped out except for the necessary items).

You could make a flash bomb. Get some high capacity capacitors and link all the leds in a spherical shape, some simple circuitry to set a 5 second timer and hey presto chuck it in a room and in one go your friends are blind and your leds are burnt out.

Gotta becareful as I bleew the tops off LEDs by hooking it to a 9V.

That's what resistors are for ;). LED's can only handle so much current. I have a 9v hooked up to 1 LED in my mouse flashlight I made, but I have a resistor in line so it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom