What is a computer nerd? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Post What is a computer nerd?

Here is a piece of an essay I have been writing for my composition class explaining the concept of a nerd. This paragraph is about the computer nerd, and I figured I'd post it up here ,and see what you guys think.

A computer nerd is one who spends a majority of their time with computers. They are a very opinionated form of the nerd, and tend to be die hard fans of certain hardware companies such as Intel, AMD, ATI, and Nvidia. Using hardware from any company except for the one of their choice would certainly be a sin. This nerd will argue Microsoft versus Apple to their grave, and anyone who stands in their way will be called a newb so fast their head will spin. It is extremely difficult to spot this nerd in public because their computer is all they need to survive. If something is not accessible in their immediate reach it can be ordered on the internet and shipped to their house, eliminating the need to go outside. Computer nerds often experience an illness similar to one that their sports minded, party animal counterparts endure, a hang over. Though a computer nerdís hang over is not the result after a great deal of alcohol. It is the consequence of prolonged exposure to the computer screen, and it is the computer nerdís worst enemy. It is said that if it wasnít for the eye burning, head splitting head aches of the computer hang over; these nerds could stay at their computers for twenty-four-hours a day, seven days a week with an adequate supply of Red Bull and Monster energy drinks.

I am a victim of the computer hang overs...

Q6600@3.6 / 8800gts G92 / 2g Kingston Hyperx / 3dmark:16,000
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What is a computer nerd?

Quote:
This nerd will argue Microsoft versus Apple to their grave
REAL nerds use LINUX!

Quote:
It is extremely difficult to spot this nerd in public because their computer is all they need to survive.
If they are spotted in public, however, they will always have their laptop or PDA with them, as they cannot stand to be away from technology.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
If they are spotted in public, however, they will always have their laptop or PDA with them, as they cannot stand to be away from technology.
I was going to say "you can't spot them in public because they're never in public; they're always in front of their computers" =P.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 06-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
NEEDS MORE DAKKA!!!

Every time I think of computer nerd, I get the mental image of some one that have thick glasses and have a fashion sense that his/her mother still dresses him/her in the morning.

Computer geeks tend to have a little or a lot more fashion sense than a computer nerd.

Computer nerds tend to take pride in the fact that they still can find a use for that old Pentium 100 that you are about to throw out. To them, this most likely going to be an upgrade to what they currently have. However in Nerd defence, the fact that they have kepted that old 486 running as long as they did is an achievement in itself.
Where as a computer geek will most likely be making ure that they have the latest and greatest computer.

Nerd are more likely to be using linux and various other Free-BSD software. Where as geeks tend are more likely to have that pirated copy of Windows Ultimate.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
HP zBook 14 - Intel Core i7 4600U (2.1 - 2.7 GHz), 16GB, 512GB SSD, 14" Display, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 8+Console : Play Station 4 Pro
Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

haha I'll have to post my whole essay when I finish it. I'm encompassing all the different types of nerds in it.

Q6600@3.6 / 8800gts G92 / 2g Kingston Hyperx / 3dmark:16,000
Old 06-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to psp_crazy1

both visit *chan frequently.
Ultra ATX wizard case - Xcilio 500 watt

Toshiba Satellite A305
Sony Vaio VGN-BX560B
Sony Vaio (P3, 256mb RAM)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post

Every time I think of computer nerd, I get the mental image of some one that have thick glasses and have a fashion sense that his/her mother still dresses him/her in the morning.

Computer geeks tend to have a little or a lot more fashion sense than a computer nerd.

Computer nerds tend to take pride in the fact that they still can find a use for that old Pentium 100 that you are about to throw out. To them, this most likely going to be an upgrade to what they currently have. However in Nerd defence, the fact that they have kepted that old 486 running as long as they did is an achievement in itself.
Where as a computer geek will most likely be making ure that they have the latest and greatest computer.

Nerd are more likely to be using linux and various other Free-BSD software. Where as geeks tend are more likely to have that pirated copy of Windows Ultimate.
I agree with you totally Harper, as do many of my friends, although indirectly since they haven't read what you said, but they share the same ideals =]
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Antec 1200 Case
Core i7 2.8 Ghz
6GB Corsair RAM
Nvidia GTX 285
22" Monitor
Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

nice i like it

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Well if a composition of what defines a computer nerd is sought out, then presumably the most logical approach is to look at the separates. A nerd, as defined by dictionary.com, is "an intelligent, single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby". However, the definition of computer has become manipulated in the modern world of instant communication that simply stating it as an electronic device designed for processing data lacks a vague essence. Thus, categorizing a computer nerd as a hardware enthusiast/gamer who survives on energy drinks is wrong, but the theory has its truths. Yes, a computer nerd is one who is obsessed with a hobby - computers are quite expensive to maintain; unfortunately computers are social instruments. Nowadays, they are designed for quick information sharing - a hardware enthusiast may browse a tech forum for advice or a gamer joining a server to test his skills. Hardly nonsocial if some sort of human communication arises. So, the evolution of the term computer nerd to computer geek (the more appropriate guise of the common generalization) is evident with the boom of telecommunications and processing breakthroughs within recent years. In the end, what is a computer nerd? Perhaps the only group remaining of the rare breed is the pure cyber-hacker. Nonsocial to stay hidden and obsessed to stay rebellious. Regardless of the irony to classify a hacker, we are all just computer geeks.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside

im a geek who cannot live without a computer to be honest. I know the basics of a computer n love computer parts, n my folks dont understand how i feel about a computer.

off topic:

Had 3 computer problems total, right now i believe my mobo is infected n i have to try to exchange it with a new one, but my dad says no n pay some stupid guy to diagnostic it. WTF? Obviously my folks dont trust me with computer anymore n i keep telling them that everyone makes mistakes, it's called learning!

--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Closed Thread