what is the best antivirus software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a hardware firewall. my wireless router has SPI and NAT, aswell as ping blocking and DOS protection.
and my wireless connection is protected by MAC address filtering and WPA-PSK (AES) encryption

hygor said:
A couple of trojans... from god knows where... but not a peep out of old symantec corporate, until i was having trouble (one of them was tying to use my puter to send emails... but my firewall stopped it)... so i did a full system scan and then it bothered to find the problem.

but as far as i have seen the auto-protect is pretty poor on Symantec corporate antivirus

I use spybot and adaware to handle my spyware and adware needs

A trojan is considered more spyware than a virus.....

apokalipse said:
I use a hardware firewall. my wireless router has SPI and NAT, aswell as ping blocking and DOS protection.
and my wireless connection is protected by MAC address filtering and WPA-PSK (AES) encryption

You should also get a software firewall on there man. For example, with the trojan Hygor described, your computer would not have caught that - assuming ur AV behaves similar to Symantec with that trojan.

H/w firewalls are good at catching incoming issues, but not outgoing. How would your h/w firewall know "what" is initiating the channel?

With s/w firewalls they make a list of approved programs (courtesy of the user) and calculate digital signatures of the apps, etc. and always verify using those signatures whther the app is authorized to send the internet traffic. A h/w firewall does not have any sense of what application is trying to start a connection from inside.

Symantec corporate version is great. It has scored high points on various tests. Of course, you need to have the real time scans on highest settings obviously. In Hygor's case, the realtime didn't find it, but a deep scan did. So obviously the a/v engine is "capable" of detecting the virus. Just that the realtime settings were not strong enough.

In anycase, I am presuming most of you guys have only dealt with the "Personal Edition"?

Chankama said:
Symantec corporate version is great. It has scored high points on various tests. Of course, you need to have the real time scans on highest settings obviously. In Hygor's case, the realtime didn't find it, but a deep scan did. So obviously the a/v engine is "capable" of detecting the virus. Just that the realtime settings were not strong enough.

In anycase, I am presuming most of you guys have only dealt with the "Personal Edition"?

My cousin used to work at the Pentagon. He got me the version of symantec that the Pentagon uses.

You guessed it. It still sucked.

Makes you wonder "why" the pentagon used it in the first place? And other big corporations? Don't tell me "those guys don't know what they are doing". Surely, the IT departments of large corporations know a "little" bit more about security than the average population. Norton has many faults in terms of it's system resource hogging and lags of the update feature. But, in terms of the engine's capabilities, I think it's pretty **** good.

Here's one comparison:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report07.pdf

Symantec obviously scored very high points.You guys can post more if you find any :).

Chankama said:
You should also get a software firewall on there man. For example, with the trojan Hygor described, your computer would not have caught that - assuming ur AV behaves similar to Symantec with that trojan.

H/w firewalls are good at catching incoming issues, but not outgoing. How would your h/w firewall know "what" is initiating the channel?

With s/w firewalls they make a list of approved programs (courtesy of the user) and calculate digital signatures of the apps, etc. and always verify using those signatures whther the app is authorized to send the internet traffic. A h/w firewall does not have any sense of what application is trying to start a connection from inside.
Antivir is very different. IMO, it's much better than Norton. I don't think it has missed any virus/trojan so far...

I also periodically run hijackthis

Chankama said:
Makes you wonder "why" the pentagon used it in the first place? And other big corporations? Don't tell me "those guys don't know what they are doing". Surely, the IT departments of large corporations know a "little" bit more about security than the average population. Norton has many faults in terms of it's system resource hogging and lags of the update feature. But, in terms of the engine's capabilities, I think it's pretty **** good.

Here's one comparison:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report07.pdf

Symantec obviously scored very high points.You guys can post more if you find any :).

You can try and justify it any way you want to, but I'm just speaking from what I've seen in this field regarding symantec. The reason my cousin got me the pentagon's version of symantec was so I could load it on my computer and he could show me how incredibly easy it was to crack. He didn't get it for me to "use." He got it for me for a kicks and giggles with some pre school hacking lessons. Because of that, and the fact that every person I've talked to who say they can't connect to the internet ends up being symantec EVEN THOUGH symantec has granted access to everything, has lead me to hate that company. They've shown me nothing positive from their products. At all. Period.

If it works for you, great. But I still think it's trash for well justified reasons. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom