what is the best antivirus software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use 5 items from that list.

Also, I gave PrevX a go, but was not impressed with it. It does it's job but is a huge memory hog. I am test driving WinPatrol now. Both PrevX and WinPatrol are registry monitors btw. They tell you if anything at all tries to modify ur system registry. PrevX is realtime I believe. While WinPatrol does it in like 30sec/1min increments. More of a snapshot idea. Both approaches work.

AVG is not the best free one as their quality and support have been falling in the past few years. Avast is much more supported and is generally of a higher quality.

I use Antivir Personal Edition 7 (beta)
so far, it's great. it's fast, low on resources, and its very effective.
it's also free, too.

but version 7 is still in beta, so it might have a few bugs (although I haven't found any so far)

I'm thinking of switching to NOD32... at the moment I am using Symmantec Corporate Antivirus 10 (as I am using windows xp pro x64 and norton doesnt work on x64).

But recently a few things have managed to slip through unnoticed by Symmantec corportate so I want to change. I have also read that NOD32 uses far less resources, and its pretty cheap...

so am just considering it at the mo... anyone here recommend it?

nod32 is pretty good. it works in the background mainly, so you wouldn't notice it unless you brought up ask manager.

although I prefer Antivir personally. it's one of the top antivirus programs, but it's also free

hygor said:
I'm thinking of switching to NOD32... at the moment I am using Symmantec Corporate Antivirus 10 (as I am using windows xp pro x64 and norton doesnt work on x64).

But recently a few things have managed to slip through unnoticed by Symmantec corportate so I want to change. I have also read that NOD32 uses far less resources, and its pretty cheap...

so am just considering it at the mo... anyone here recommend it?

what slipped thru??

I use McAffee on my systems at it's not much of a system hog unless.

I use McAffee for Virus.
However if I need to clean up adware/spyware, is us a combination of the following :-
* MS ANTISPYWARE
* AdAware
* SpybotS&D
* HiJack This (last resort)

Warez Monster said:
what slipped thru??

A couple of trojans... from god knows where... but not a peep out of old symantec corporate, until i was having trouble (one of them was tying to use my puter to send emails... but my firewall stopped it)... so i did a full system scan and then it bothered to find the problem.

but as far as i have seen the auto-protect is pretty poor on Symantec corporate antivirus

I use spybot and adaware to handle my spyware and adware needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom