The Weird, Wild and Strange Facts Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
beer.jpg

Mind your P's & Q's
In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them "Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down." It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's"

That's all right, Mak. Laws, like rules, were made to be broken. :D

Almonds are members of the peach family. I find this hilarious as peach pits contain small amounts of cyanide. Some who have ingested cyanide were able to taste it (or only some had a chance to say what it tasted like)... it tastes like almonds. :p

In Mel Brooks' 'Silent Movie,' mime Marcel Marceau is the only person who has a speaking role. :D

An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain. Makes sense.

The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "Its A Wonderful Life"

Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.

To "testify" was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles. I guess that's how they get by telling a little lie. ;)

That's all right, Mak. Laws, like rules, were made to be broken. :D

Almonds are members of the peach family. I find this hilarious as peach pits contain small amounts of cyanide. Some who have ingested cyanide were able to taste it (or only some had a chance to say what it tasted like)... it tastes like almonds. :p

I would like to add that it also reaks of almonds, smell almonds on a battlefield drag your mask on.

Some Tennessee laws...

• You can't shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile.
  • More than 8 women may not live in the same house because that would constitute a brothel.
  • “Crimes against nature” are prohibited. (Sorry, Chris)
  • Any person who participates in a duel may not hold any public office in the state.
  • Giving and receiving oral sex is still prohibited by law.
  • Driving is not to be done while asleep.
  • It is legal to gather and consume roadkill.
  • The definition of “dumb animal” includes every living creature.
  • When you pull up to a stop sign you must fire a gun out the window to warn horse carriages that you are coming (in Lenoir City)
  • It's illegal for frogs to croak after 11 PM in Memphis
  • Males may not be sexually aroused in public in Nashville
Man....those are freakin' hilarious! So, if you're caught at makeout point with the misses head down by the steering wheel you both go to jail? ahaha

Here's some:

• A rat can last longer without water than a camel.
  • Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it will digest itself.
  • The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.
  • A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.
  • During the chariot scene in "Ben Hur," a small red car can be seen in the distance (and Heston's wearing a watch).
  • On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily! (That explains a few mysteries....)
  • The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin in World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.
  • If one places a tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death. (Who was the sadist who discovered this??)
  • The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
  • The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.

The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
My wife got a chuckle out of that one.

[FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]-Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]-Over 2500 left handed people a year are killed from using products made for right handed people.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]-It's against the law to pawn your dentures in Las Vegas.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]-Babe Ruth wore a cabbage leaf under his cap to keep him cool! He changed it every 2 innings.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Some old laws from my state:

No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.
It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory.
Movies that show police officers being struck, beaten, or treated in an offensive manner are forbidden.
If there are more than 5 Native Americans on your property you may shoot them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom