Way to raise PC+gaming chair?

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all,

Bit of a random question, but I thought someone might know of a product I'm trying to find...

My wife and I working towards closing on our first home. This house has a finished basement (sweet!) with a sump pump. Based on the recent inspection we had done, it doesn't look like they've had any issues with flooding in the last 6 years and we are not in a flood zone, but I'm still concerned about water entering the basement. The town we live in can sometimes have problems with drainage when it rains very heavily.

So basically, I'm looking to see if there's a raised platform or water resistant mat or something I could put my gaming chair (you can see a picture here: Volair Sim - Affordable Flight | Racing Cockpits) and full tower gaming PC on just to take extra precautions. I've been looking around online a bit and haven't been able to find quite what I'm looking for. The entire gaming chair/PC setup is probably 60 inches/68 inches.

If anyone has any recommendations on what I'm trying to find I'd be most appreciative!

How about 4 pallets in a square with some rubber mat over them and carpet over top of that. You can put your whole desk on it. Pallets are pretrty easy to come by if you know where to look... also...

- easy on the budget
- portable
- can change carpet to suit your whim at the time.

How about 4 pallets in a square with some rubber mat over them and carpet over top of that. You can put your whole desk on it. Pallets are pretrty easy to come by if you know where to look... also...

- easy on the budget
- portable
- can change carpet to suit your whim at the time.

Not a bad idea. Thanks! I'm not sure the boss would approve of pallets in the basement, but it's definitely worth a thought. If I'm imagining this correctly, pallets may even be a bit higher than I was thinking. Maybe just an inch or two or so off the ground would be enough.

pallets are generally 4-6 inches high to accommodate folks and jacks. You can always hide pallets by putting some MDF or Pine or anything else you can make a sideboard for. You can dress it up pretty easy. It's the height from water/damage that you want. If you think like a designer you can also set in such a way as to delineate the "computer" area from the rest of the basement and getting them cheap/free will always be a good idea...

You have to sell the boss the idea... give her a solution, not a problem to solve. :p

pallets are generally 4-6 inches high to accommodate folks and jacks. You can always hide pallets by putting some MDF or Pine or anything else you can make a sideboard for. You can dress it up pretty easy. It's the height from water/damage that you want. If you think like a designer you can also set in such a way as to delineate the "computer" area from the rest of the basement and getting them cheap/free will always be a good idea...

You have to sell the boss the idea... give her a solution, not a problem to solve. :p

Point well taken sir!

To be fairly blunt, if the sump ever fails during a heavy storm and the ground is saturated enough, or power goes out, any basement can completely flood up to ground level before you or anyone else notices.

I suggest a raised floor if you are concerned, and have the sump checked out, ensure it can evacuate a good helping of water, as well as have a backup sump should the main one fail or not keep up with water penetration and possibly some form of back up power to keep the sumps operating.

As for raised flooring, you don't need much, heck, if you do it right you could just throw down a vapor barrier and some carpet or wood of your choice on top and avoid raised flooring. Maybe consider sealing the floor and walls with a paint/sealer meant for the task?

Maybe consider a dehumidifier for the location with a drain to the sump to help keep moisture down as well? Basements can be very harsh on electronics, and the fact you have a sump means that moisture will be a serious issue in the basement.

Personally I wouldn't risk having my computer down there if you are worried at all. Just like it was mentioned, basements can flood clear to the top floor before someone realizes it's flooding. With that being said, if that's the only place you can put it, I agree with using pallets. Even if your wife isn't sold on the idea, you can easily sell her on it. Start by giving her options, either you raise the desk and protect your computer, or you don't raise the desk and risk ruining your computer in the event of a flood. Then, when she agrees that it would be best to raise the desk, give her the option, either raising the floor or getting some pallets and raising it that way, the latter being the cheaper choice. Even if she isn't thrilled about pallets, they would be easy to hid, paint, or do whatever you need to make them fit the decor. Good luck!

I totally get your concern about potential basement flooding. Better safe than sorry, right? While I'm new to this forum, I can share some ideas.
To raise your gaming chair and PC, have you considered using pallets? They're a budget-friendly option that you can easily paint or customize to fit your decor. Plus, they can be hidden away if needed. Another suggestion is to check out this website I found for garden furniture. They have a range of styles that might inspire you. Go to this url for more info. There you can find some water-resistant options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom