Are Warez(Softwarez Piracy) Really That Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hygor said:
its all down to availability and whether your university has deals with the company... I know people who are at one university which has a deal with m$ so they get the software very cheaply to use until they leave uni... at my uni however there is no such deal and if I was to buy everything I needed I would have to pay full price...

Who sead any thing about having to go to the Univercity Book Shop to get Academic Versions. Your freindly computer store or book store should be able to get them in for you.
How ever, you will need some proof that you are student.
Eg. Current STUDENT Travel Consession Card, This year's enrollment form, Current Uni Student Union Card at the point of purchase is more that enough for me.

Most of the software vendors has opened up the distribution for the sale of their Academic Software to the computer stores. Many years ago, I would of had to apply for a Microsoft Academic Supplier Liences before i could get my hands on the stuff. Now that has changed. I can sell most of the Academic stuff from MicroSoft, Corel, Macromdia and Adobe. However, just for safety, I do make sure that i get some proof of being a full time student from the person I am selling the software too.

hygor said:
I choose not to pirate... i just use the software that is provided in the labs at uni, but if I did do it I would have no reservations about doing so... as we are supposed to learn to use certain tools as programmers and then they charge some people a pittance for the privalege and then just because your uni has no deal you have to pay full price... I have to use Visual Studio .Net Enterprise Architect for a few of my modules... have you ever seen how much that costs full price????

I do work in a computer store..... :cool:

VISUAL STUDIO.NET PRO 2003 AU$1669 ea

However, most Academic Versions provided you read the fine print will allow both Students, Educational Insitutes and (some times Teachers for private use) to buy academic versions. So it very likely that your uni has purchased liences for the following :-

VISUAL STUDIO.NET PRO Academic Edition AU$220 ea

And if this is still too expensive, I have seen some books that come with a 30 to 120 day trial version products at any even cheaper price. My last flatmate picked up 120 day SQL Server for about AU$120. The academic version is at least double that.

Honestly, I don't know what you are complaining about when the Academic Edition is only 13% the price of the full version.

The other example was Office 2003 Student & Techer Edition. $1995 worth of software and liencing for a nice $269 price.

I am not sure what you are complaining about with the software that you need for your studies when have legal access to the academic versions of the software.

hygor said:
Luckily I have good lab access and dont need to pirate, but there is no way I could afford that if I needed to buy it!

Like the labs have a choice. Schools, Collages and Unis are prime targets for people like the BSAA to do a surprise visit on.

actually there is a site (if I find it I will post it) Where if you have a student ID you can get really great acedemic prices. There is somewhere around a 65-80 percent discount on CS if I am not mistaken. I will post up the site when I get it

EDIT: found the site!!! a 57 percent discount on CS

http://www.sprysoft.com/shop/

Warez. Well they do not make any companies loose any profit. Take www.ncix.com and there dreamwaver. Its up for 400 dollars. Say ur a university student in a web design school who needs it but cant afford and and if if u could you wouldn't pay for it. Then if u get a warez copy its not hurting there business. By warex companies probably loose 5% profit while the economy will probably make more than that 5%. Im not talking games and junk. But thousands of dollar programs that people need to start business but cant afford them. If they get them free by warex boom a new company. That helps the economy in turn.
M$ even if all there products haulted and not 1 copy soled of anything they'd still be on top. So well it depends. if u want to cheap out on a 30 dollar game? well then ur just pathetic but if u need a expensive app to conduct business well go ahead and do it

Hackerman said:
actually there is a site (if I find it I will post it) Where if you have a student ID you can get really great acedemic prices.....
EDIT: found the site!!! a 57 percent discount on CS

http://www.sprysoft.com/shop/

Actaully, that is pretty much the any where where you can make that saving with on the AC versions.

I do like how they show the savings from the Full Retail and The AC Version. I might implement some thing like that with my company site too.

I know somone (not saying its me :)) that probly has about $500,000 in pirated software.

XT said:
Say ur a university student in a web design school who needs it but cant afford and and if if u could you wouldn't pay for it. Then if u get a warez copy its not hurting there business.

You want to try explaining that to the B.S.A.A. (or simulare goverment / coporate body) or in a court of law and see how far that gets you.

Sound like the saying of "It's not illegal until you get caught."
Yeah... Right.... B.S.
It is just as believable as "Responable speeding in a car"

B.S.A.A. reminds of the RIA. NO ONE here can judge ANYONE else because EVERYONE has DL music.

Silesia said:
It is just as believable as "Responable speeding in a car"

I did some "responsable speeding" last night. I went 156 on the local freeway. No one was around.

guess123 said:
holy shit 500 000 ? how many programs does that person havE?

Just about anything you would ever want, It's actually 2 people. It is a removable drive and they share it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom