The War on Drugs; A waste of time and money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
The double standard so prevalent in the United States with alcohol, cigarettes, and illegal drugs, particularly marijuana, seems completely illogical to me.

What's more, it seems that buying and taking drugs is the WORST thing you can do in America.

Thoughts?

its not the worst thing you can do...but its up there

i think that if they made it legal then it wouldnt be as dangerous(e.g. if cigarettes were illgal then u would have organized crime n stuff selling thne....like alcohol n the prohibition. If they sold drugs over the counter there would be less crime and etc. although more ppl might do it :confused:)

i dont really care becuz i dont do them so to me its all the same :D

If they were made legal the government could control them to an extent. Also, it would free up some space in our prisons that is being filled with small time drug users.

Now, I dont think all drugs should be legalized. There are some that are just so harmful that they need to stay illegal. But marijuana, I just dont see anything that makes it worse than alcohol. And thats legal.

Legalize marijuana, free up some space in our prisons, save the government some money. Thats what I think should happen.

I think this all comes back to people doing things that affect only themselves.
The general consensus seems to be that a drug's legality is based upon how dangerous it is to the person when ingested, which I do not understand. A person has the right to do what they want with their own body, even if it is harmful to them, in my opinion (assuming they are in their right mind.)

I cannot see keeping a drug illegal for that purpose, however I can see making a drug illegal if its effects are so serious that a person may lose their senses and become a harm to others.
BUT then you realize that alcohol does that to you to an extent.

Marijuana illegal
Alcohol legal

Doesn't make much sense to me but then again, that's America for you. Land of the free, home of the brave, government of the hypocritical retards!

I don't smoke pot but I think it should be legalized and taxed. The government can make a few bucks, the courts will be a little less crowded and everyone that likes to smoke out now and then will be happy.

Ever since Janet Jackson this country is going to hell in a handbasket. And fast!! Thanks Janet!! You and your family are a bunch of freaks!! oops...sorry...maybe I should save that for another thread... :)

guess123 said:
who cares bout janet? what has that done?

It's shown us how uncomfortable we are with the human body.

What's worse is a radio jockey who was fired from her job for saying the F word, when it was a recorded show and she had intended for it to be bleeped, but the engineer didn't mask it.

Then a spokeswoman said that the jockey in question should "seek help."

The Janet Jackson thing is somewhat symbolic of a fall in the status of our country. As Maher called it "the tit that broke tha camels back".

There is a general underlying issue in marijuana and its legality. More specifically the prosecution of offenders. Something needs to occur there, and in my opinion they should legalize it and tax it. My state (new mexico) was the first to bring up the idea (governmentally) of legalization of marijuana and decriminalization of certain other substances, but that didnt last long. Our government is still too damn bible belt for anything like that to permeate the fog.

I wouldnt go so far as to call the war on drugs futile, or a "wate of time and money". Sure, at this point its absolutely a waste of money, cos they aint doing anything; the war itself is still worth our time and money.

This country needs to take a long serious look at the current status of drugs in our country because things need to change before it gets worse. Cos it sure as hell aint getting better.

ok my opinion...
more than a century ago, England imported opium to China, and many many chinese people(include nobilities AND ordinary people) became addicted. According to the theories above, since opium addicts don't harm the society in form of crimes(because opium is depressant), there was no need to get rid of it. indeed, what opium does as a whole, is that the whole society's spirit was weakended. Different drugs have different effects on human body, but what they do in common is weakening a person's spirit.

In United States, a society promotes individualism, the view of society as a composition of EVERYONE's effort and contributions is often neglected. In other words, we emphasized too much on personal freedom but neglected the responsibility of each individual to make the society a better one.

We can compare US culture with Chinese culture. in US, we will destroy a billion-dollar airplane just to save the life of one person; but in China, the action of sacrificing one's life to save the property of a group is often praised. That doesn't mean that Chinese people's life doesn't worth much, but we should see how individualism has a negative effect on the society as a whole.

Ok come back to the drug issue, let's imagine if we give people all the freedom to use drugs, what will the society be like? It will be totally a chaos. I don't think the moral quality of many Americans is high enough to keep from drugs. When a war breaks out, how can we command a bunch of stoners to overcome another army whose soldiers are not afraid of death and willing to die for their believes? We ask too much what the country can give us, but we never think about what we can give to the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom