Vista is an overhyped, late, and pointless update to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
theres a surprise, stupid m$

So here's a modest proposal: Boycott Vista. Keep your old Windows XP PC around. Don't buy a new one. That's the only way we have to let Microsoft know Vista is an overhyped, late, and pointless update to XP - a perfectly fine operating system.

if only M$ would be stupid enough to let us... but no, we're forced to upgrade because of DX10.

Yawn. No one is forcing you. Shure if you don't want DX10 stick with XP.

Anyone remember XP being introduced? Anyone remember 2000 pro being introduced?

Is anyone forgetting about OpenGL? Let me answer that for you - YES.

If Vista is getting boycotted, game developers will use OpenGL which is compatible with Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. There is no reason any game developer should limit themselves to one OS by using DirectX.

oh come on, 90% of the computer buying population wouldn't know vista or XP from their elbows, boycott is a practical impossibility and so DX will continue to domninate gaming.

Besides, how long will any gamer boycott for with all those tasty DX10 games coming out :)

MrCoffee said:
[BBesides, how long will any gamer boycott for with all those tasty DX10 games coming out :) [/B]

BINGO. Exactly right. DX10 has picked up WAY too much steam already.

One thing I always point out in the Vista flyers is that they advertise how Vista will be "so much more secure", but they never say how. If MS would release DX10 for XP, then Vista would be totally pointless.

Unfortunately, only John Carmack is smart enough to use OpenGL as his primary platform when developing engines. Everybody else uses DX, with the exception of the Linux version of the Unreal engines. IMO, OpenGL should be the standard because it is a lot more efficient and is tons easier on the graphics card than DirectX.

People will purchase Vista the same way they purchased XP, when buying a new computer. People upgrading to a new computer usually don't take OS into consideration, they don't know one version from the other.

I think Windows XP was the best Windows release in history. DX10 aside, Microsoft is going to have to include more in a new version than just a fancy skin to make it a worthy upgrade.

The General said:
Is anyone forgetting about OpenGL? Let me answer that for you - YES.

If Vista is getting boycotted, game developers will use OpenGL which is compatible with Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. There is no reason any game developer should limit themselves to one OS by using DirectX.
Hear Hear! :beard:

beedubaya said:

I think Windows XP was the best Windows release in history. DX10 aside, Microsoft is going to have to include more in a new version than just a fancy skin to make it a worthy upgrade.

What makes you say that XP is soo much better than 2000 pro though?

I can think of one reason, better networking ability.

I can also think of one thing better with Vista (minus the DX10) is networking is more user friendly.

beedubaya said:
Unfortunately, only John Carmack is smart enough to use OpenGL as his primary platform when developing engines. Everybody else uses DX, with the exception of the Linux version of the Unreal engines. IMO, OpenGL should be the standard because it is a lot more efficient and is tons easier on the graphics card than DirectX.

Excellent! Finally someone who agrees with me! Oh and you left out the Call of Duty 2 engine for Mac OS X. And ... well all games for Mac. :classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom