Vista....eat your heart out

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people say that Linux does not require a top of the line machine they are right. I run Ubuntu 7.10 on a compaq laptop, 1.6ghz celery, 1 gig ram, and integrated graphics, and I can run all of the compiz effects just fine. No sudden hangs in the system, programs don't randomly crash, and when you open a directory in the file browser instead of being greeted by a flashlight you have your files there. it just works.

Hm Looks pretty cool to me. since 99% of my time is spent playign video games isn't worth the trouble, since i'd be booting to windows anyway. shame

You should be able to get Compiz Fusion running on any distro.

If I'm remembering correctly it won't work on a PS3, though, due to hardware restrictions or some junk like that. Is that what you wanted to do?

yes, but RSX has almost been unlocked on the PS3 so if it was just that then it should work soon.

Yeah Compiz (now Compiz Fusion) is pretty old. I've been using since it was called Beryl starting about a year ago. It's good stuff. There are a lot of usability features with it other than just eye candy too.

actually it was always Compiz to begin with, Beryl was a fork of the original project and they recombined with the advances Beryl had made being added to Compiz and Compiz Fuzion being the result.

aside from getting around the Hypervisor on the PS3 i'd imagine they may have some 3D acceleration issues, though that shouldn't take long to get around (it uses an ATI chip right?)

personally i much prefer the Gnome look to any microsoft look. the amount of customisation is great.

actually it was always Compiz to begin with, Beryl was a fork of the original project and they recombined with the advances Beryl had made being added to Compiz and Compiz Fuzion being the result.

aside from getting around the Hypervisor on the PS3 i'd imagine they may have some 3D acceleration issues, though that shouldn't take long to get around (it uses an ATI chip right?)

personally i much prefer the Gnome look to any microsoft look. the amount of customisation is great.

Actually the Hypervisor on the PS3 isnt bypassed its some Core OS Kernels in YDL that are replaced, and the PS3 uses an Nvidia Based Chip, 360 uses an ATI Chip. And they have already Released a "Hello World" using the RSX, so maybe I'll try this out, when I learn linux and they sort out the RSX @ PS3devwebsite

When people say that Linux does not require a top of the line machine they are right. I run Ubuntu 7.10 on a compaq laptop, 1.6ghz celery, 1 gig ram, and integrated graphics, and I can run all of the compiz effects just fine. No sudden hangs in the system, programs don't randomly crash, and when you open a directory in the file browser instead of being greeted by a flashlight you have your files there. it just works.
Like I said...security and stability come standard...haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom