Vista....eat your heart out

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm going to download wubi and see how i like linux. it looks interestig and i've been wanting to check it out for awhile.
i heard that linux runs well on older (weaker) machines. i have a real old dell that might get to use it.

It realy dose, you don't need to have a heavy weight rig to run powerful software.

I think a lot of these mods aren't specific to Gentoo. I'm a Ubuntu guy as well. I think I'll test out a machine with VMWare for a bit.

eye candy, subjective....good for everybody else, bad for MS/Vista even when people wanted MS to fancy Windows up.

I prefer Vista's eye candy, less "wow" factor thenth gentoo I looked at...a bit annoying.

I guess it's like building your own computer...some like it nice and classy, others like i a little garrish. I'll let you decide what's what

I think a lot of these mods aren't specific to Gentoo. I'm a Ubuntu guy as well. I think I'll test out a machine with VMWare for a bit.

Yeah your right you can get that kind of eye candy for a bunch of different distros. And actually the new Ubuntu (Gutsy Gibbon) has it already on it (ready to download via synaptics). I have the new Ubuntu and its cool having those fancy features.

Yeah Compiz (now Compiz Fusion) is pretty old. I've been using since it was called Beryl starting about a year ago. It's good stuff. There are a lot of usability features with it other than just eye candy too.

Only thing Vista has on Gnome/KDE under Linux is that it looks so much better visually. Although KDE 4.0 does look stunning, it's just too buggy for me, I'm waiting for 4.1 to release first.

The thing about Linux is that you can customize almost all of it. If you think some of the eyecandy is annoying then just disable the things you don't like. Make it as simple or as fancy-pants as you want.

I can't stand using wobbly windows anymore, so I just turned them off. Same for a lot of the animations. Some of them are pretty cool, but can definitely get annoying. I just use "zoom" and "fade" since they're simpler but still look nicer than what other window managers can do.

You should be able to get Compiz Fusion running on any distro.

If I'm remembering correctly it won't work on a PS3, though, due to hardware restrictions or some junk like that. Is that what you wanted to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom