Video cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Hey guys. I am in the market for a new video camera. What kind of things should I look for with respect to the follwing:

1) I want good audio - any specifics?
2) Recordable media - DVDs the best?
3) Zoom level
4) Normal battery life
5) Brand
6) Codec support
7) Ease of use/dowloading to PC (if applicable)
8) Expected cost for the unit with whatever features you listed

Thx fellas :)

good audio is kind of an oxy-moron with video cameras. You get a built-in mic and thats about it... you can't get any better quality unless you use an external microphone.

Media: In school, we always used Mini-DV. My prof's swore by them.

I can't really give you any other info for a home camera... in school, we used a Cannon XL-1 (a few grand) and shotgun mics.

camcorders have gone up in technology in the fast few years.

In 2002, they thought of recording to DVD.

In 2005, they thought of recording to HD.

IMO, i would get a HD camcorder, because you can record more than a DVD.

Thx guys. I think as talldude said, a HDD camcorders is probably the best. I might look into an external mic idea as crysalis suggested.

Mac, $5,119.99 is too much man. hehehe :). I am more thinking of less than $1000. And there "are" HDD camcorders under than range.

btw, where do you guys usually go to buy camcorders? :confused:.. My favourite computer store doesn't seem to have them for a reasonable price :( :mad:..

Stay away from HD and DVD based camcorders. DVD/HD cams are new territory in the camcorder field, many revisions historically look down upon them.

Go with MiniDV, they are cheaper, and alot easier to transfer/edit. And a proven storage media for over 11 years. But dont mistake miniDV for old technology, it still holds the best quality for all consumer camcorders.

Now I would go with a Sony Based miniDV camcorder... And you dont need an external mic, a good amount of decent sony based miniDV camcorders come with accessory shoes, and sony offers shotgun mics for < $70..

There are so many different models to choose from. Just find one that suits your needs and come back and I will tell you what i think.

And those $1,000 GL-2's are scams.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom