Very, very random request

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, it gives an 4/5 chance of being "normal" and then a 1/5 chance of being dissonant somehow (maybe as you advance the system a bit, the program can actually find ways of "resolving" the "random" notes. I like this idea, actually. Post some more of the tunes, or better yet, the whole program. I'd like to do some MIDI orchestrations for some of these. (Some of which I may post here).

Yup... the probabilities vary for each aspect of each note, but that's the idea. Here and here are some more melodies. As I go along they're going to get longer and more complex, and turn into more pieces than just tunes.

I would post the whole program but it's embarassingly buggy right now. :p When it's a little more refined then I'll post it.

I'm thinking about making a blog or website about it as I develop it; would anyone be interested in reading it once in a while if I did?

P.S. The iPod hasn't come yet. :( It's in a FedEx truck somewhere... supposedly it'll come by Saturday. Needless to say, I'm insanely excited. I haven't said anything but "iPod" for the last week.

XT said:
"1. To give or bring life to; animate
2. To make more lively, intense, or striking; enliven"
i also like those sugestions

Well, that is just the definition of the word 'vivify' which I provided incase anyone didn't know what it meant, but thanks. :)

Well, it has to be done by May 10 because I'm doing it for a final project for a class. There's still going to be a lot I want to do to it after May 10, but I'll post it here then.

I still haven't decided on a name... Hmm. :confused:

I didn't know you could program
haven't had a chance to listen to the tunes - Windows Media Player 10 beta (pre-release) refuses to play it because of a bug - but I think it's kool what you're making

BlindApex said:
I would call it "Shove over Beethoven" :)

Not such a music lover, are you?

Sorry to be so blunt, but that comment seriously makes me somewhat angry...it just shows too much lack of respect for genius...for someone's pure talent that no computer will ever be able to replicate...

This is a cool project I'd love to have a go when its finished

The melodies you've posted fremind me a lot of what i got trying to compose music in BASIC on my old zx spectrum.

It was murder to get the notes and pauses to last the correct amount of time and it always sounded like a jumble of noises rather than "PINBALL WIZARD" lol

Ok, here it is guys...

EXE
ZIP file with uncompiled code and examples

A few things to note: a.) I know the interface is still bad b.) It doesn't visually display the music yet, that was too complicated to get in before the May 10 deadline but it'll be coming eventually c.) Pleeease excuse the bad pun, my brother came up with it and forced me to use it d.) It's buggy and e.) It's very buggy.

Enjoy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom