varying quality of dl'ed movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt

Beta member
could someone explain to me why when i download movies (from limewire) of the same size, that the quality is vastly different.

i have klite codec pack so i get most of the formats

thanks in advance

TC=telecine, which is where a film is converted using a machine which scans each frame and its assembled into a movie, decent quality usually

TS=telesynch, video camera used to film a movie screen, sound sourced from a headphone jack, at best the quality is about like VHS

CAM=video camera with mic used for recording the sound, even worse than TS

dvdrip or dvd screener, direct rip off of a dvd or screener version of a dvd, if done properly it can be very very good using xvid codec and come in at 700mb per 2hrs of film

vhs rip, vhs screener converted to digital using a TV card or mpeg encoder, about the same qulaity as a TS usually, maybe a little better due to no problems with alignment issues

vcd format=352x240 mpeg1 with mpeg1 audio, not even as good as a decent vhs, but watchable

svcd= 480x480 @ up to 2mb/sec bitrate, not bad but not nearly as good as a dvd

dvd= 720x480 @ up to 6mb/sec bitrate

hddvd or hdtv 1920x1080 or 1280x720, best quality and is usually mpeg2,wmv, or mpeg4 formats........you wont find much available at this resolution yet, nobody offers it at full resolution commercially yet, even hdtv is still castrated these days

best qulaity codecs are mpeg4 and xvid as far as bitrate vs picture quality, but they have to be done properly

why does the quality vary so much?Cause most people are clueless when it comes to ripping video, it has lots of options and variables, its an art form as much as a science.........someone who really knows how to do it, can make a 4gig dvd video look great even shrunk down to 700-900mb using xvid or mpeg4 codecs

windows software is also notoriously bad at replaying video, doesnt do a very good job at color reproduction or decoding, it has gotten better but if you want the best possible, use linux or OS X, although winXP is leaps and bounds ahead of win98 in this area

one of the best players you will find is media player classic or mplayer if your gonna use windows, mplayer is open source and written for linux but there are versions compiled using cygwin so it will run on windows giving you most of the functions and quality it offers under linux.........make windows media player 9 and 10 look stupid in comparison

thankyou horndude, this is exactly what i wanted know. i really appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

horndude said:
one of the best players you will find is media player classic or mplayer if your gonna use windows, mplayer is open source and written for linux but there are versions compiled using cygwin so it will run on windows giving you most of the functions and quality it offers under linux.........make windows media player 9 and 10 look stupid in comparison
STORM CODEX is another worthwhile download too.

negative, its a bit of a resource hog, less so than windows media player, but it also doesnt play as many formats as mplayer nor does it do all the encoding and decoding mplayer will

mplayer does more than any other player ive ever found:
rips dvd's or tv or any video/audio input into almost any format
plays almost any format
onscreen keybrd controls for brightness,contrast,hue,saturation, video/audio synch, fast forward/rewind/pause

isnt a whole lot it doesnt do, and its written in C so its quite fast, and its also very accurate at decoding video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom