USA: North vs. South

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Well my trip is complete. My parents sold their house here in Connecticut and bought a house down in Florida. So during last week we spent Wed, Thurs, Fri driving down 1,200 miles to move them in. Spent most of Friday unpacking the 26' penske moving truck and all of saturday putting all there stuff in place. I was in charge of electronics & furniture... blah!. Sunday, I flew home back to CT.

A few observations I made on the trip.

The South Eastern states are very, very, different from the North Eastern states. First of all, I95 is a lot nicer to drive down there. I actually was able to use cruise control something you could never use up here. I'd set it to 5 miles over the speed limit, get my feet comfortable and just hold the wheel. I would go 10-15 miles without touching the brake once. Here, you touch the brake 1000 times in 10 miles.

As we started decending through the states, we noticed price reductions on virtually everything. Things were cheaper in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. For example, a few weeks ago I bought a new Vermont Castings outdoor grill for $899 at Home Depot. It's a monster of a grill and i'll use it even in the winter. Anyway, we went to a Home Depot in Florida were my parents move to and the same exact grill was $599. And it even came with a TANK, which mine didn't. I was so p'd off. Another thing is, "Everyone takes their time in stores and resturants." Up here, if you get in someones way, they will kick you to the ground and step on you.

Gasoline here is $3.44 for Ultra down in Florida it's $2.98
Up here you pay .05 cents deposit on all cans and bottles, "which hardly anyone ever returns" Down there, no deposits... Up here, cigarettes are like $4.50 a pack. Down there, they are $3.15 per/pack. Even at the grocery store mostly everything is .50 cents to a $1.00 less. And florida doesn't tax you on purchases.... Connecticut bends you over and says "ready!"?

My parents sold their house here 1300 sq/ft for $426,000, and it wasn't even a great house. Very New England style Cape, in a very good area. The house they bought down in florida was $210,000 in a great area 2600sq/ft - amazing house... huge pool, hot tub, big back yard, 3 car garage, it's kinda the spanish sytle home, it's amazing... And it's almost half the price of the one they had up here.

So, I think i'm going to head down there in a few months and see if I can find a job down there. I'm really tired of all the hussle and bussle up here. Since the cost of living is less down there, I guess a job with a pay cut would kinda even out... I don't know... I gotta check it all out.

Although, I did see a condo near my parents that was $98,000 and was 3 bedrooms, 2 baths with a 2 car garage. Up here, it would be like $250,000...

well, anyway... If you've ever been somewhere and noticed a huge difference from where you live, drop a few lines and tell everyone about it.

Well everything sounds alot different from the UK. Only time I have been to America is when I went on holiday to Florida over Christmas. What a change! No snow or anything which I wasnt used to.
Also when I went to Walmart they were selling guns which was very weird as guns are not avalable like that here.

I'd like to move to America when i'm older.

Well I've been to parliament hill in ottawa and washington DC so I can tell you differences between those. MUCH higher security in Washington and much more fuss over little things, they have endless roadblocks, police walking around the streets with m16s and mp5s, sharpshooters on bulidings, metal detectors for EVERY single bulidng, freaking MacDonalds had a metal detector...security was just much tighter in general. Ottawa you rarely see more than a few RCMP officers with the usual 9mm glock or whatever the standard police issue handgun is...you can freely go just about anywhere without any hassle

Ottawa is much smaller, and I do hate to say this but everything that isn't "government" or "important" in Washington is ghetto, crappy run down schools, houses whatever you want. And yes, there is a large black population there from what I could tell. Ottawa is mostly farmland I'd say

I've also been to California, Colorado and Arizona. I remember nothing of california, Colorado had huge houses with heated floors although that may just be because my uncle is a doctor. Arizona has "gated" communities where your street is blocked off and there are passwords you gotta enter. Every house there is one storey, most people have pools and more than one air conditioners

Sounds like the difference between Texas and NJ. Everything's cheaper and the roads are wayyyy nicer (I think those southerners really like their roads though, haha). And, I too am thinking of moving to Florida! Seriously, maybe I'll see ya there!

I live in SC, I love it here. Its kind of hot right now, but yes things are cheap here. A gallon of gas has dropped to around $2.84. But I guess like everyone else you want something more, thats why I would love to visit Europe.

Dang, gas here in michigan is like $3.10 a gallon. I cant afford food anymore.

Just don't move to the tampa area... Family there... Stupid *** sister said she couldn't find a place for less than $1000 a month but then again shes a [SNIPPED].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom