US wants to keep control of the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJ-CHRIS said:
No single person can ever control the internet, all it is, is a large network conected together on a fast backbone.

Thx for the definition.. :rolleyes: I don't know why some of you guys feel the need to write this in every other message.......

As I clearly pointed out a "few" times, I am talking about the policies that govern the internet.. And from what I've read this has to do with who controls the domains and the directories on the internet.

This is a real problem.. It's not something I am saying "might be a problem" and just posted to discuss about it. It "is" actually happening right now and the US is trying to hold onto it's current role.

If you don't think that this is not a power struggle, then just go back a few months/years(?) to the Verisign issue. Here's a link to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_Finder

Controlling what happens at the root domain level = power on the internet. Better believe it :).

DJ-CHRIS said:
The net would continue on without satalittes.
The net depends entirely on satelites. It is how service providers send data to one another, without satelites, the internet would siese to exist.

dnoch said:
The net depends entirely on satelites. It is how service providers send data to one another, without satelites, the internet would siese to exist.

most data travels thru landlines, with satalittes our ping's would be 350 miminium

Across continents? It can only travel on land up to a point, after that, it has to go through a satelite.

If the UN gets control of the interent, the interent is screwed.

The UN is so completely inept at each and every thing they attempt, I can only imagine how bad they'll mess this up. Not to mention the interenal corruption of the UN.

Oh, and let's not forget that since the US stopped kissing the UN's backside that the US is not regarded as a "good friend" of the UN.

Personally, I'm afraid that the US would be cut off from the interent at some point in the future.

if any country were to get 'cut off' there would be insane riots.....all the nerds will rise up and cause chaos

But if the UN had the control, we couldn't do squat about it.

Of course, the US could just develop a new interent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom