Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
US court to rule on the right to bear arms | NEWS.com.au
US court to rule on the right to bear arms
  • US Supreme Court to rule on right to bear arms
  • Decision will be first of its kind for seven decades
  • Expected to have major impact on US gun control
THE highest court in the United States is set to issue a ruling for the first time in seven decades on the highly emotional issue of the constitutional right to bear arms.

The US Supreme Court's decision - on whether the right to keep and bear arms is fundamentally an individual or collective right - is expected to have a far-reaching impact on US gun control laws, experts say.

The high court has never before issued a ruling on the interpretation of the second amendment to the constitution, which states: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

At the centre of the case is the nation's capital city, Washington DC, which has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country.

Private possession of handguns is strictly banned there, and any rifles or shotguns kept in homes must be disassembled or kept under a trigger lock.

Washington DC government officials say the ban, instituted in 1976, is necessary to keep street violence and murder rates down, and that the second amendment protects gun rights for people associated with militias, not individuals.

"I'm confident in our case, and our continued ability to protect residents from gun violence," mayor Adrian Fenty said when he filed his legal team's brief in March.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs in the case, District of Columbia vs Heller, first argued in 2003 that the DC gun ban violates the citizens' second amendment rights.

Alan Gura, the lead attorney for the plaintiff, questioned the anti-crime impact of the city's laws, saying they have "accomplished nothing except to prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising their constitutional right to keep and bear arms".

Interest in the case, originally brought by a federal building guard who carries a handgun on duty and wanted to keep it in his home for self-defence, has been steadily building, as evidenced by the rash of "friend of the court" submissions to the judges filed on both sides of the argument.

Supporters of gun rights include groups as varied as Pink Pistols and Gays and Lesbians for Individual Liberty, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, 126 Women State Legislatures, and the powerful gun lobby, the National Rifle Association.

The Supreme Court last took up the issue in 1939, but its ruling on a case involving alleged bank robbers and registration of certain firearms did not directly address the question of the individual versus collective right to bear arms.

Personally i am for this. As much as I don't mind going done to the rifle range and firing off a few rounds, i do fail the need for any one to own a firearm unless they require it for a proffessional reason.
Personally i am getting sicken with the number of times we see another Columbine or Virginia Tech type shooting in the news.

This is a touchy subject for many, although not a US citizen I hope they keep the 2nd amendment but add some more factors as to how easy it is to get a gun. I know it's possible to get a gun from a gun show with little ID an there is no checking period in that kind of transaction.

If they try to pass this off as a measure to reduce gun crime it will fail, criminals by there very nature break the law an they certainly wont register that that own a fire arm.

In a perfect world this would not be a problem. People who want a gun for whatever reason, can get one. I don't care where or who you are. I think the idea behind the 2nd amendment was so the ordinary citizen could defend himself against attack. Remember what was going on when it was written. Law abiding citizens will be the ones who are hurt by any change to this. The criminals will not be affected at all. I have read studies that boast stats both ways for what gun laws do to the crime rate. I personally do not own a gun, but should I decide to buy one, I want to be able to do so without the government having a major say it in.

if they abolish the 2nd amendment i will leave this god forsaken country

I can go down to the neighboring city and get a handgun in whatever style i want, sure it will be alot more expensive then legally owning one, but it wouldnt in anyway linked to me and i could go out and kill anyone and there would be no way to find me

Why would people willing give up the only thing that can protect them when criminals have guns??? once criminals know that people cant have guns they are going to have a field day, it doesnt matter how big a bad you are 9 times out of 10 Person A with a gun will beat Person B without a gun

I know i wont be registering any gun i own every just in case something stupid like this passes

Yes, If they think that keeping citizens from owning guns is going to make criminals stop using guns they have a little more thinking to do.

8 out of 10 times, any serious crime that involves a firearm was done by the use of an illegal weapon bought on the streets.

I dunno what they get out of this. But it just doesn't makes sense in my mind.

As the saying goes. If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them. I still think its funny that states that have concealed gun laws have the lower crime rates than places that restrict the ownership. When the person you are about to mug/attack/rape could be carrying a gun you are going to be much less likely to do something stupid than if you KNOW they dont have one because its illegal. As usual, the government is taking away more of our rights.

political....is this....ugh....hehe

lol

I would like for people to become ACTUALLY brave and ACTUALLY manly...then I would rule all! hehe

pick a fight or smack talk with me and it's go time...no cowardly guns...but man to man fisticuffs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom