Update on me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Well since many people have asked since reading the T-F Meetup thread and seen that i stated i have a job i might as well create a thread and give out the information instead of having to say it over and over again.

Yes i recently gained employement and am currently working full time for a local retailer. Now this is no fun job and it certainly doesnt have anything to do with PC's or my skills with them. It is just a job with Sears.

My job duties include but are not limited to:

Receiving of trucks with general freight and appliances (They come on different trucks on different days)
Merchandise Pick Up - Customer comes and scans their receipt at a Kiosk and we take it out and load it into their vehicle.
Verifying the receipt of high value items (Mainly electronics like TV's, PS3 and so on)
Cart boy - get carts from various areas around the store and making sure that each location has a supply of carts
Order Picker - anything that gets ordered from the website comes to us and we get the items together for pickup (MPU)
Order Staging - Item sold on sales floor comes to us if it is a item that must be picked up and we get it ready for the customer and stage it in the back by the MPU area ready for them when they scan their receipt.

This is the general list of what i do on a daily basis. I started in early Nov and did work the dreaded Black Friday and am still feeling the effects of it. The truck on Saturday (since it was delayed a day due to Black Friday) was loaded with 75 TV's, Fridges, Freezers, Washers, dryers and so on. The truck today had another 150 items for customers and the Appliance truck on Tuesday was 85 pieces and mainly customer stuff. Right now we have a good 400-500 items waiting to be picked up. From small tools to large pool tables that weight in at 400+ LBS each to move around and load.

So as it sits right now i am hurting badly. Going from sitting around being a stay at home father to working again like this moving around such items has taken its toll on me.

So there you have it. The information about my job. Since a few people asked.:devil:

good for you. I'm getting tired of my friends saying - I won't do this and won't do that job. for me its about putting food on the table first. I wish I could be there the first time your IT guy comes around and tries to pull the wool over your eyes :tongue:

Well atleast you haven't tried working at goodwill doing manuel labor for about 10 hours straight with only 30 minute lunch break and sit outside for 15 minutes each day.
I did that job from feburary 2009 until the end of september I won't state why I got fired because I don't anyone googling this and causing problems for me.

Anyone wants to know pm or email and I'll explain why.

However though I'm glad you got hired though even though it's not technical work it will put food on the table and some money in the bank for you and the family.

oh no..... the evil Mak is going to make some cash

wonder what evil inventions will the evil Mak come up with the cash he made

goodbye........cruel world

on the other hand... have fun :tongue:

good to hear :) I was out of work for about 3-4 months, and I know I started getting discouraged even after a couple of months.
Glad to see you've got things going again.

Mak, I used to work for Sears in the warehouse delivering things out front, big items and I know exactly what you are going through. Hang in there, providing for the family is what it is all about and you are a great family man, I can tell. Two thumbs up for you (three if I had that many :p).

I'm in the very same boat as you Mak. Stay at home father, that hasn't been in the job scene in a while, going straight to strenuous work. I haven't had an actual job for quite some time, and within a few days, I became basically a general laborer.

Splitting Firewood (Yes, that's part of my job, and what I have been doing most of lately)
Shoveling gravel from a 5 ton pile, and keeping it level and making it 2 inches thick, on a 60 x 40ft pad..
Cutting/Grinding steel.
Building workshops (garages)
lifting 500+ pound 1/4in. steel sheets (with the help of others, of course. We've lifted 30+ in the past 2 weeks)
My easiest job is doing errands for the boss man, but even that hurts me, 'cause I have to sit in the vehicle for atleast 1 1/2 hours any time I do that, due to him being based so far away from the larger cities, where everything we need is.

I've already slit my middle finger to the bone, smashed my foot under one of the 1/4in. steel sheets, and have not been able to move when I get home.

I hope you get used to it quick, it'll be far easier on you. Glad you found a full time job with the way the economy is.

Hey, nice avatar there :D

Lol, thanks. If you are interested in what her shirt actually says, you can Google "caveman" under Images (or maybe Bing, I forgot) and read it up close :O I don't know if you get the caveman advertisement down there in Australia, but it is in reference to that, it was funny to me and I think the mannequin looks so life-like haha.

good for you. I'm getting tired of my friends saying - I won't do this and won't do that job. for me its about putting food on the table first. I wish I could be there the first time your IT guy comes around and tries to pull the wool over your eyes :tongue:
Exactly my thoughts. It is a job and i am making money. I could care less about anything else. :thumbsup:
Well atleast you haven't tried working at goodwill doing manuel labor for about 10 hours straight with only 30 minute lunch break and sit outside for 15 minutes each day.
I did that job from feburary 2009 until the end of september I won't state why I got fired because I don't anyone googling this and causing problems for me.

Anyone wants to know pm or email and I'll explain why.

However though I'm glad you got hired though even though it's not technical work it will put food on the table and some money in the bank for you and the family.
Sorry Mike but i work over 10 hours everyday on my feet all day with no chance to sit. Outside in the rain/snow/hail or whatever as customers only have to call a phone I carry around to get their items delivered to them. All for minimum wage of $7.25. So yes i do know exactly what it is like to have the hardships of long hours, short lunches/breaks and working in the weather. I just didnt mention it cause i figured saying that we do customer carry outs would kinda include going outside. ;)

I forgot to add now that the snow started to fly, we got to go shovel the side walks. That is extra bonus for us.:dead:

But all is good. I am enjoying the job. My body is kinda getting used to it fast. After a night's sleep, only my back is a little sore. No truck to work today but it shall be busy since a appliance truck and freight truck have been finalized and customer orders confirmed to be in store will draw a lot of people in for their goods.

Let me just say it is always quite a experience to have to tell people they cant have their item as they come with a Smart Car to pick up a pool table. (Not a real example but VERY close to what i have encountered) Sometimes i wonder what people are thinking when they buy this stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom