UNIX-Better or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0ULphIRE

Golden Master
I prefer sticking to windows, but hey, maybe that just coz I was brought up with it (along with every other computer-owning person in the world). To me, UNIX was, is, and probably will be for a long while yet an incomprehensible world of sudo strings, kernels, and shells which require frequent attention.
I'm not quite sure why they even bothered to create UNIX, which is basically just windows without the user-friendly part. MOST folks can see that and stick to windows, but some deluded group, representing the extreme minority of whatever universe they happen to be in, has always got to stand up and say 'well gee that aint right! UNIX for the win! just...just...coz!'
I don't know if it makes you feel special or something, but is there ANY other reason to use UNIX?

Anti UNIX/MS-Windows jokes

lots of reasons to use unix or any POSIX compliant OS, biggest being they are true multiuser OS's with all the tools and traits that come with that, which is something windows does not have and probably never will

you might wanna look up the history if unix before you make some more inaccurate assumptions though, it has nothing to do with windows, it was never meant to be like windows, it predates windows by more than a decade, and "user friendly" is in the eyes of the beholder :)

Alright, let me rephrase. I don't know why they bothered to KEEP updating UNIX after windows was released. The fact that UNIX was released before windows and is STILL hardly used just proves my point. lol, and apparently in the eyes of most beholders, UNIX doesn't qualify as being "user friendly".

Hardly used? - Now that's not strictly true...Unix & Linux are great operating systems and are highly popular and also functional.

Because it's not all pretty point & click and a 5 year old can work it makes it terrible?

I would be interested to find out what *nix experiences you have had to substantuate your claims.

So Blue Screens of Death, System Lockups, and high hardware requirements are user friendly?

Can't say that I see many Windows computers get those symptoms, unless you're too mentally incapable of using one, that is... i.e. spyware/viruses etc. But I know you'll say "linux doesn't get viruses/spyware!" I know that, but the normal person doesn't use Linux, now do they? =P

Not saying there's anything bad with Unix (I have Ubuntu installed on my 2nd HDD in fact, and I think it's quite nice).

UNIX is great to some people and popular with the same. That doesn't mean it's used a lot. I tried various versions of Linux, Solaris 8 and Unix, which seemed to be all trying to accomplish the same thing (e.g. an OS which looks like it was created in the dark ages, with a set of commands created by hannibal lectur while half-way through eating a liver). I don't really care if its not 'pretty', but some common sense when they were designing them would have been MUCH appreciated!
Running XP, I haven't ever had a bsod, the system locked ony when I used all resources, and the high hardware requrements really only apply to vista.

So the whole point of the thread is to bash unix?

Sounds like you haven't really given it a chance..my guess is you looked at it, it wasn't Windows so you trashed it.

And an Operating System does not have to look like a work of art to be good...

Just cannot understand by you're so anti-Unix/Linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom