The universe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you think that life on other planets in other gallaxies even progressed similarly to ours. What makes YOU even think it was intelligent of any kind.
Life is bacteria and many other similars, it doesn't have to be intelligent to exsist.

Onces more, Prehaps some race at one time did exist, that prehaps was more technological advanced then our own race. What makes you think they didn't do exactly what we are doing now, searching for life elsewere. And what if their extinct now because they never figured out a way to traverse the infinitly large distances that separtes much of the universe. It probably has, but we will never know it. And can we hope? Sure, its just unlikly that we will ever meet Intelligent life with technology that rivals if not surpasses outr own. Im not holding my breath.

The Universe is just too vast...

(Post not directed at anyone specific)

In order to move matter to go at, or past, the speed of light you would need infinite energy. Seeing as how E=MC^2 (energy = mass x speed of light^2) you would need infinite mass (ooE = ooM x c^2). This pretty much makes it impossible, because where can you get infinite mass?

Space travel wouldn't be convinient anyway at the speed of light, especially since the nearest star besides our sun to us is 4 lightyears away. So it would take 4 years to get there at that speed. The only other idea that I think might make it more possible is to find a way to use and maybe create worm holes.

Also about finding other life, remember if something is 13.7 billion lightyears away and we look at it with our telescope that means we are seeing the planet or whatever 13.7 billion years in the past (because the light took 13.7 billion years to get here). So life might have florished on other planets by now, but the light is just taking too long to get to us to see them.

But of course E=MC^2 might be wrong, but so far everything that we can test with says it's pretty true.

(btw, oo is my version of the infinate symbol or the "sideways 8")

cwiz said:
perhaps silicon based life forms... silicon and carbon have very similar chemical properties.

would we even know what we're looking at when we see new life?

No we wouldn't

If we dont have a Pre-Cognitive of what something may be it will look like something totally diffrent.

EX: when the Indians saw the ships of the brittish coming they thought they thought they were islands, as they have never seen anything this massive, or even have an idea of .

Quantum physicists state in the movie "What the bleep do we know" that If we do not have a pre-cognitive that we will fall thru the water and we beilve with every thought in our mind that we have the ablity to walk on water, we can. But when you try to think of it, its not blocking out the negative thought that you cant, its just the positive slightly covering the negative.

Watch the movie called "what the bleep do we know"

Really interesting stuff.

i've seen alot of good points in this thread but about the big bang, im pretty sure it's all possible to have existed. what i learned last year was that there was so much pressure and heat in the are of matter before the big bang that nothing could of existed. now if that happened billions of years ago im pretty sure some type of life has come into existence, even if it's bacteria or mold, or even just microscopic sized organisms.

although none of us will probably see it in this lifetime like beefcake said, the Hubble and see things 13.7billions light years away, but what we would see is things that are 13.7billions years in the past.

but who here dosent want to really find out whats out there billions and trillions of light years away, well who on earth dosent want to find out whats out there. all we can do is hope that someday so long in the future that our great great great(a lot of other greats) grand children will get to see whats out there. that's if the whole global warming things and the sun exploding thing dosent happen.

or if they perfect cryogenic freezing, i'd probably do that.

The sun Won't Exploud, Its not massive enough, It will Become a Planetary Nebula with a White Dwarf at the Center though.

However, before that happens the sun will swell up to 100 times its current Diameter therefore Venus and Mercury will be Swallowed(Red Giant ), they still aren't sure if Earth will be also. But even if we aren't swallowed we will be too close for life to exsist on earth at that time anyways.

And For global warming, It is because of the green house effect that we have liquid water. However a run away green house affect (Like Venus) is still possible. But it won't matter, I will be dead long before any such event.

The sheer enormity of the universe, whether finite or not, is beyond what man can get his mind around. All the philosophy in the world can't bring it into a perspective that doesn't boggle the mind.

As for where it all came from, that's a discussion for elsewhere. One way or another it boils down to theology (either for or against) and that ain't happening here. While I have my views, and some have others, we can all keep 'em to ourselves.

I do have to say, however, that while the theory of relativity is very interesting, it is just a theory. We have no way of proving it beyond all doubt, as nature has a way of introducing exceptions to every rule man comes up with. Gotta love that.

And the pictures Hubble has given us of the red space... the area at the "boundaries" on space that are still expanding, and the images of yet more beyond them... It all makes you want to assume the fetal position.

Are we alone in all of this? I dunno. Nor am I worried about it.

Same with the sun exploding or going into giant phase. I won't be here that long to have to worry whether or not I get roasted.

See? Akuma mattata.

cwiz said:
the big bang didnt prove anything. its a theory and a hack of one at that... it goes against the LAWS of thermodynamics. how can something go from billions of things into one point and back again?
the big bang itself doesn't prove anything, no.
However, the expansion and acceleration of space proves the big bang itself happened. that, and the microwave radiation that's left from it (you see it when you turn on your TV between channels.. that snowy stuff)
and no, it doesn't go against thermodynamics.

what we know is that the big bang happened. not how or why it happened.
I listen to theories, but I never jump to conclusions, I only accept things that are proven, and I always try to remove assumptions. that's what science is all about.

They have done experimentation to test relativity. using atomic clocks, they found that time distortion does occur at high velocities. the time distortion was consistent with Einstein's mathematics - t = t0 x SQRT(1 - V²/C²)

if V = C, then V²/C² = 1
and SQRT (1 - 1) = 0
so using einstein's formula, experienced time stops at the speed of light

to test relativistic mass, they could calculate the weight of a spacecraft, measure exactly how much fuel is burned getting into orbit and how much is left (to calculate the rest weight in space)

and then using the coefficient of thrust given by the fuel, and measuring the exact acceleration, coupled with the formula f = ma, they could calculate the real mass of the spacecraft at the given acceleration. and by finding the average velocity throughout the acceleration, they can then use Einstein's formula M = M0 x 1 / SQRT(1 - V²/C²)
and find out if it is consistent.

I've given up on trying to figure out the universe in my own mind. It's pointless because your mind just isn't sophisticated enough to figure out a small fraction of what actually happens in space.

Don't bring in laws of anything here. In space (outside of earth that is) ANYTHING can be possible. Creatures miles away might have reversed laws of physics and breathe in gases that would instantly kill us humans. We have no idea what's possible out there. I doubt we ever will either. We are just organic matter here on earth with very advanced brains to think about these kinds of things with. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom