unique and permanent email account for every one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Check this crap out......

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,16541645^15302^^nbv^,00.html
Turnbull's e-dream

IN a world run by millionaire Liberal MP Malcolm Turnbull, every Australian would be allocated an email address that would last them a lifetime.

His idea would allow the Government, banks, superannuation funds and long-lost friends to keep in contact with people no matter where they lived, what internet provider they used or where they worked.
Mr Turnbull used an adjournment debate in the House of Representatives yesterday to unveil his plan.

"Every year the Australian Government spends hundreds of millions of dollars sending paper communications to Australians," he said. "Many of them are lost, many of them are mislaid, many of them, perhaps most of them, are never read.

"The Government no doubt finds it frustrating that it cannot more effectively use emails to effectively communicate with Australians.

"Australians change their email address even more frequently than they change their physical street address."

Mr Turnbull said that given the ever decreasing cost of broadband internet services, it would make sense for the Government to use the internet to keep in contact with Australians.

"For a relatively modest cost and over time, starting with the young and e-savvy, the Australian Government could offer to provide every Australian with an electric mail box or pigeon hole," he said.

"This would be similar to an email account but would be unique and permanent.

"No matter where you moved or how often you changed your regular email address, that pigeon hole would always be yours. Because it is a virtual pigeon hole, it would be accessible from anywhere there is access to the internet, which nowadays is almost any place on earth."

Firstly, I like to see how they are going to get the infratructer up for this.

Secondly, abbanoning and email address is so easy. You simply do not configure your POP / SMTP settings for that account.

Spam is going to follow you not matter where you go. I don't mind ditching an email address ever 2 - 3 years just because I am getting too much crap in there.

This is more BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU. It means that the goverment know what you are sending and recieving. They might at well push the Australia Card along with this.

Finally, if there are going to give me a unique and permanent email account, then why could I keep my phone number every time I moved house.

I agree with this idea of having a unique email adress assigned to you.

But two things need to happen first.

#1: Email needs to be revised so their is NO MORE sending from anamous email adresses.

#2: The servers are third party, and not goverment.

now that could work but seeing as this service (i believe) is obviously government, i doubt that #2 would happen

well you wouldnt have to read the emails...so although people could find you by an email address doesnt mean they can track you down any farther than that, you wouldnt have to answer...i hope to assume no other info about you is identifiable by an email address.

I was thinking, what is the majority of Australians that own a computer, for the one that don't should the government provide internet access to the public like a computer booth just like a telephone booth. Should confidential material be sent considering there are alot of security risk when you introduce something like this to the public knowing that most people aren't all computer savvy.

Sounds like it would just be a govt to citizen email account which use is optional if you wanted to use it for other things, in other words, you could still have multiple accounts.PGP encryption is free, spam is essntially a non issue these days, most ISP's filter that junk out anymore.

DJ-CHRIS said:
#1: Email needs to be revised so their is NO MORE sending from anamous email adresses.

#2: The servers are third party, and not goverment.

#1. Yeah!
#2. With the goverment trying to sell off Telstra, it would not suprise me.

Nubius said:
lol I don't want 'old friends' finding me no matter where I go

Me too. I got an "old freind" that burnt me 2 job ago trying to contact me right now.

horndude said:
Sounds like it would just be a govt to citizen email account which use is optional if you wanted to use it for other things, in other words, you could still have multiple accounts.PGP encryption is free, spam is essntially a non issue these days, most ISP's filter that junk out anymore.

It would be a great idea for those people that are living on the Welfare System and they that not shown up to Job Interview or Job Find Meeting.
Like I was living with a Dole Bludger in my last place. He new how to place the system so he maximise his pay out and minimise the amount of job searching he really had to do. And about 1 month, there would be a Infringement Notice coming in the post, and my thoughts where..... "GREAT!!! Another $0.50 of My Tax Dollars Wasted"

Heck, log on the OCAU Forums some time and play Count-The-Welfare-Bludger. They got computer. It's means, they got internet and email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom