unbelievable cpu cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, i guess i take back my previous comment. Because the oil more than likely would alsways stay at or near room temp because although this is a closed environment (they sealed the lid), the sides of the tank would always cool/heat up the liquid to the room temp.

What about a hard drive? I realize it is magnetic too, but i would think that the read/write head would have difficulty moving through the oil no?
a hard drive is sealed. It has to be; a single dust particle can wreac havoc
considering that the read/write heads are about 50nm from the platter (a human hair is about 2000 times thicker)

I think they have a small hole in them for pressure. Think about it, if you were to take a drive from below sea level and take it to say 10k the drive would fail/have issues. Don't you think? The drives i've taken apart for fun i thought had a very small hole in them. I could be wrong.

on the HDD question. would you put your drive in water? no, because water would get into it. it's not strictly airtight. if you've taken them apart you know this. there is a semi-permiable rubber gasket that runs along the rim of the hard drive *kinda like foam, but I'm sure it's rubber foam* but that will not allow dust into the drive. it will allow liquids through if saturated long enough. also, GreenMachine, it would not cause a fire underneath the oil, it'd just short out and the current would, from appearences, just die out. but from the looks of it, this is not to be feared. I will do a mod up as soon as I can get an older system and the materials needed for this since nobody has any ideas on if this works for long, and what type of temps this will garnish. due to the efficiency of liquid cooling *via traditional means* I would imagine that having a certain current *rather than having it stagnant* would cool everything rather well, especially since it's getting around the back of the mobo as well. again, I'm now looking for a system that I can do this with without frying my new build *still in progress, you guys will love it!*

i have a few rigs i might try this on, the only thing i lack is the oil itself...but the only problem i can see is how to cool the oil once it heats up...which it will do eventually....i dont think the air around the sides of the tank would do that....also..i'm not gonna submerge the PSU or hdd since heat doesnt really affect them to much (at least not in my builds)

that's one of my questions : how long will it last before the oil reaches ambient temps and is basically useless?
Ambient is defined as just the surrounding air (right?). So even if it got as hot as the surrounding air (even hotter) it would still be cooler then just air blowing on it.

Back to the HDD - this is what i thought. I've taken a few apart (just for s. and giggles) and i noticed there was a hole or two right above the right head that i could see right into the drive (these were laptop drives). I'm not saying this would make it inoperable, but i wasn't sure how it would effect the drive spinning speed, write head, and long-term effects of the 1's and 0's on the platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom